Ice fishing

Roy

I have no interest in ice fishing either, infact I just sold all my ice fishing gear this weekend, but I have no problem getting outta bed on a cold, snowy December morning and sitting in a boat on the open water all day looking for a late season musky .......sorta the same thing.......isn't it ?? :dunno:

honestly guys, ice fishing is what you make it.

someguys are content to sit anchored in a boat and throw a bobber over the side and wait all day - i am a run and gun fisherman and like to boot around to a bunch of different spots and put my lure in front of as many fish as possible

when this same active approach is taken when ice fishing, it's really pretty fun - great way to get outside, get some exercise, get a meal for dinner etc.

not to mention, all of the electronics that they have for the hardwater now make it entertaining to just go out there even if you don't get bit - pretty cool watchin those perchand pike on the aquaveiw!

i really enjoy fishing on the hardwater (almost) as much as softwater.

hope that i see you guys out there some day!

darcy

As for me I rather fish hard water cause lake Simcoe is huge lake and I wouldn't be able to fish deep in a 14ft aluminun since the water can get pretty rough. Fishing right on top of fish would be impossible. Hard water is the only way that I can stay on top of the fish without the waves to worry about.

Plus winter is usually gray and depressing if you have nothing to enjoy. Who wants to stay home after working all week and nothing to enjoy on the week ends.

well it's not that I love ice fishing..it just that it's the only fishing game in town..

it's a good way to make the winter go fast

and as for leaving a warm bed to go icefishing..the good part when back home is saying to the wife, I am frozen stiff lets go to bed and thaw things out

So let me get this straight....

You guys get up in the middle of the night, crawl out of bed leaving behind a nice warm wife to go set your donkey down in a cardboard box on a frozen lake?

Yup!.. Everything except for the cardboard box!

Oh, and the nice warm wife...

Edited by Mike Pike

I like to think of the ice as being the great equalizer. As I'm not fortunate enough to own a boat, I feel that the ice gives me the opportunity to fish virtually anywhere, especially places that are not accessible during the soft water season.

That being said, you'll never see me out there when it's -20!

HH

I like to think of the ice as being the great equalizer.

HH

Likewise! Friendliest people are met on the ice.

Also was the best oppurtunity to see the biggest walleye of your life.

Simcoe by the Talbot R. was awesome, but now closes March 15th.

Quinte still coughs up big ones.

cheers,

ehg

Roy, when I ice fish....its with the wife, wife an Kids or buddies, I dont go alone......

Ive had a blast out on the ice with any of the above and I find its a chance to gaurantee fish for the kids.

Completely opposite to being on the soft water tho...I'd go solo anytime.

I love the way you think Bud......it doesnt sound right at all does it!

I too have worked outside all my life and one would think you would rather be inside relaxing whenever the chance came....Uh uhhhhh!!!!! :dunno:

So let me get this straight....

You guys get up in the middle of the night, crawl out of bed leaving behind a nice warm wife to go set your donkey down in a cardboard box on a frozen lake?

YOU BET YOUR ASTEROID ROY!!!!

But, no, not on a cardboard box, its on a snowmobile, quad, or a collapsible chair. Or I just stand all day, waling around to clear the holes, and jigging.

But, we almost always have a fire to cook up moose or deer sausages, pork smokies, sardines or kippers, heat the sandwiches and water(which froze on the drive out) have a full thermos of soup, drill holes with either the manual auger or power one(both take energy and keep you warm at the same time) cut some dead trees down for the fire, saw them to length, split them with the axe, all of this stuff my buds and I do keeps us warm, we almost never get cold. Only when we are jigging, standing in one spot for a time, does the cold have an effect on us.

Edited by tjsa

well ice fishing is one of those things you either love it or hate it...well me being a fishing addict,i fish for all species and will fish 12 months of the year..so i have been doing it since i was a kid and will always do it...if you have all the gear and the warm clothes and a buddy or a wife/girlfriend to share the fishing with its a blast and gets you out of the house in the winter,and you also can catch a few fresh fish for the table...ive done all kinds of ways of ice fishing evrything from sitting on buckets in -25 to sitting in huts with satellite TV...so it depends what you want from it.....i dont do as much of it as i used to but still like to do it....have a safe winter fishing guys....hey roy you should try it in an ice bungalow on nipissing,its just like being in a house...all the bells & whistles :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Most real fisherman will tell you that there is nothin quite so special than having another chance to watch the sun come up over the horizon and to watch the creatures of the day start to stir as the creatures of the night scurry back to their daytime hiding places .... and even moreso if you are on the water.

The same happening in reverse at dusk stirs all the same emotions whether on a boat or on the ice.

For ice fishermen ... its the same ... except we can do it standing in the water ... and for the real diehard fishermen who get a certain satisfaction fishing in the rain and wind .. because they 'toughed it out' this is no different on blustry winter days ... but for those of you who havent given it a fair shot .... some of the BEST weather has been out on a sunny day at about 5 below without a cloud in the sky or a whisper of a breeze ....

I count every chance to experience this as a blessing ... for we really dont know how many more we will get

Edited by camillj

I think there is a certain social aspect of ice fishing that you cant get from regular fishing. Sure a group of guys can go out in boats and yell to each other, but out on the ice is like a big gathering. Share tips, stories and cold 'pops'. Not that ice fishing alone isnt just as good.