Conservation License question:

goteeboy

Zero Possession Limit with a conservation License.... this is where things get gray.. What defines possession? what if the fish dies? cant keep it.. but you cannot let it spoil either..

If you want to fish for Muskie, remove all doubt and purchase the Sports License.

G

Guest gbfisher

FISH AWAY!!!

oh and IF it dies.......................you're not wasting anything letting the animals eat it. Fish do die sometimes being caught. No issue.

If it dies and you have a sport license and it is UNDER the legal length and you let it go............Same difference. It happens. Just do your best.

The regs are clear. If you want a picture, just take the pictures as you're taking the hooks out. Its pretty simple really.

Have fun...Go fish!!

If you have a big musky lure on a muskie type outfit and reel one in you are more likely to get on the wrong side of the CO.

If the CO asks you "catch anything?" are you going to say "nothing"?

If you are targeting pay the extra 6 bucks for the license and feel good about it.

Is it possible to upgrade those 3 year licenses from conservation to sportsman?

forrest

I would tend to think it's an "iffy one" alot of people probably think that. from a CO's perspective..depending on the officer, they may think that you should not be targetting fish you are not allowed to keep...but then again someone raised the point of the possibility of a fish under the keeper size regs may also die..I guess you would have to justify that with the CO's if questions where raised...I would agree with Gerrit and the others about removing any doubt. Everyone catches incidental OOS fish here and there..targetting them is a different story..and you just never know if and when you might hook into a big musky if they are in the water you are fishin...I catch more muskies "not fishing for them" then trying to actually target them...same sort of question could arrise about sturgeon for example..I have caught a couple over the years...no open season at all for them where I fish..we don't target them though..we could, I know a couple spots you could do this, but no open season..means I don't "try" and catch them.

Edited by jwl

Yes it is legal to fish for musky with the conservation licence this has been covered on here many many times. The real question is it moral to fish for them? Only you know for sure. The CO might charge you but you would be able to beat the charge in court, since the regs DO NOT prohibit you from fishing for them with just the conservation licence. Just another reason they should scrap the conservation licence all together in my opinion. To me it is no different that people who continue to fish after getting and keeping their limit of any species. You are LEGALLY allowed to continue fishing if you immediately release any fish of that species you catch, but I have always considered that morally wrong myself but to each their own.

Here is another question since you are allowed to keep a musky with a sport licence and it is allowable to cull certian fish for better ones if you have a live well. Could you do that with musky legally? Umm that is if you have a 40" live well to keep the fish in till you got a better one....

Edited by Canuck2fan

My friend and i had a debate as to whether Musky fishing is allowed w/ a conservation license. I said yes, he said no. I checked the Regs and couldn't find a prohibition. Anyone know for certain?

Thanks

Yes, it is legal. Its just like fishing once you have your limit, or during catch and release seasons. Once the fish is cought you must release it immediatly. Technically that means no pictures, or mesurements. But most CO's wont care if you take pictures or mesurements as long as you treat the fish respectfully.

to get into canuckfan's last question, I am not sure that would work so well, they did impose new regs for culling fish..but I think that the intent was for bass,pike,walleye fishing in regards to tourny fishing, and certain regs have to be met pertaining to your livewell to legally be allowed to cull fish for this purpose. Your livewell has to be at least a certain size, and you have to have a mechanical aerator of sorts as a back up to your livewell pump/aerator is the impression I get

Edited by jwl

to get into canuckfan's last question, I am not sure that would work so well, they did impose new regs for culling fish..but I think that the intent was for bass,pike,walleye fishing in regards to tourny fishing, and certain regs have to be met pertaining to your livewell to legally be aloowed to cull fish for this purpose.

Exactly since only northern pike, walleye, smallmouth and largemouth are mentioned they are the only fish it is permitted with.... I have however heard some people mention thinking they can do it with bows and salmon. Which, caused me to give them a little blast of reality.

Yes totally legal ! Is it worth the speech that, our local protector of the great world record muskie what if, CO Bruce Ward (out of the Midland OPP detachment) will give you when he has you pulled over for a spot check on Georgian Bay... NO ! (see glens post for comfirmation! LOL)

I also had a long talk with the CO on Lake Nippissing this June when we were at Lakair... and discussed this very subject. Seems they are all being turned by HDQ to give the same speech. Legal to fish.. YES... legal to posses ... NO.. so they say if you catch one it has to be water released... no net.. no pictures... blah blah blah..

Which brings up another subject that he decided it was time to leave my boat on.... what about fishing for fish in season that have ZERO possession period... like Sturgeon. Why all the pics of those when you can't possess them ! LOL

Edited by irishfield

The question of what's moral...that's exactly why the question is being asked. I personally don't think it's immoral to catch and release after your limit. That's why these regs are there. If you are within the regulations, i think it's moral.

i didn't know about the side of boat release stuff. if that's the case, and technically if you are holding the fish in your boat for a pic, that's considered possession, then i have no probs upgrading my license. the only think i keep are perch ice fishing, that's why i have the conservation license.

anyway...thanks for the info.

Yes you can fish for muskie with a conservation license. It is in the regs about 5 pages in.

The CO was very rude to me for no reason last year when i had a conservation license. So i bought a full license this year.

Glen is correct the regs are clear, you can fish musky with a conservation license.

The biggest problem with this urban myth is the people that should know the law don`t, instead they convey their own opinions instead of sticking to the law.

The biggest offenders are the police, last year on Scugog I was approached for a spot check and after my boat passed the check he inquired if we had caught anything and I mentioned my son had caught a musky and thats when the officer informed me that it was illegal to fish for musky with a conservation license and thats when I politely informed him that is perfectly legal to fish for musky with said license and it clearly states that in the regulations and I had a copy on board if he would like to check he declined.

I always get the sportsmans licence ... not only is it worth the few bucks extra .... I happen to think musky... especially those 50+ girls ... tastes almost as good as sturgeon (flame away ladies ) :)

Seriously though ... what is the difference between this and fishing on the upper credit where it is 100% catch and release ONLY ... what no speck pics allowed .. yea right !!!

It is the dumbest regulation in the books.

So for the extra $10 of the "Sportsman's License" ,I could catch & keep & cook a legal-sized Musky everyday of the open season!!!

But if I don't give them $10 bucks, then I should release a spent fish, so the Seagulls can peck it's eyes out???

MNR needs an Overhaul by some real Sportsmen instead of geekster Biologists & old fat bureacrats!!!!

Money grubbers! The license fees don't go to the Resources!

the answer is

yes here is cut and paste from mnr

and link

3. The catch and possession limit for muskellunge is zero (0) if I have a Conservation Fishing Licence. Does this mean I can't fish for these species?

Not at all. A catch limit is the number of a species that you are allowed to catch and keep in one day. (A possession limit is the total number of a species that you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit and so on.)

As long as you immediately live release any zero (0) limit fish you catch during the open season you may legally fish for them using a Conservation Fishing Licence.

This holds true for such species as muskellunge, sturgeon, Atlantic salmon and aurora trout. Immediate live release is the key.

However, those who fish for muskellunge with a Conservation Fishing Licence should understand and be prepared to deal with the fact that occasionally muskellunge are injured beyond being able to be successfully live released. What would you do with the fish if it could not swim away?

Or, what would you do as the angler if you caught the world record muskie (something that is quite possible in several Ontario waterbodies) on a Conservation Fishing Licence? It would have to be released.

For these reasons and others, most ardent muskellunge anglers purchase the Sport Fishing Licence. The added bonus is that their licence dollars can help improve future muskellunge fisheries.

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fishing/faq.html#N10037

so print a copy of this and the link

and when that one CO tells you no...say the only no is the fact you don't kNOwn your job mister CO and show him , now piss off you bug me.....LOL

If you cant take a picture or use a net to release with a conservation license, then you shouldn't be allowed to take a picture of any muskie that is under the size limit. So if your fishing a waterbody that has a size limit of 48" or 54" or is catch and release only does that mean no pictures, and you cant use a net to land your fish, then release it? How would you land a 50+ inch muskie without a net? I need some clarification about this, any insight?

Edited by Mattk

If you cant take a picture or use a net to release with a conservation license, then you shouldn't be allowed to take a picture of any muskie that is under the size limit. So if your fishing a waterbody that has a size limit of 48" or 54" or is catch and release only does that mean no pictures, and you cant use a net to land your fish, then release it? How would you land a 50+ inch muskie without a net? I need some clarification about this, any insight?

I know its stupid but technically that is the rule for pictures, but most CO's wont bust you for it. As for a net you are allowed to use one only for the purpose of getting the fish unhooked and realeased quicker and easyer.

I asked this question back on the old board,(BOY DAY JA VUE)as I was heading out for my first musky adventure. I got the same answers pretty much,,,,,,,,,except about the pi ss off one.LOL

Ever since,I have bought the full/sports lic. Save :wallbash: and having to answer questions if they arised.

and I believe you can take a photo according to the mnr

and they have had people holding juvenile muskie

cut and paste

Handling

* Keep the fish in the water as much as possible and handle the fish gently.

* Reduce handling that removes the slimy protective coating on fish.

* Do not squeeze or touch the gills. Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers. For panfish and bass, it is best to grasp the fish by the lower lip.

* Use long-nose pliers to remove the hook quickly without tearing or injuring the fish. If the fish is hooked deeply, cut the line and leave the hook in when the fish is released.

* Never put a fish that you may release on a stringer, use a functional livewell or release the fish immediately. Remember that all fish kept (in a livewell, on a stringer, etc.) and not immediately released count toward your daily catch and retain or possession limit.

Photographing

* Be ready ahead of time! Take pictures quickly, minimizing the amount of time the fish is out of the water.

* Hold the fish in a horizontal position, supporting its weight with your arm and hands. Do not hold large fish in a vertical position.

Releasing

* Revive the fish before letting go. Hold the fish upright in a swimming position in the water, moving the fish slowly forward and backward so water runs through the gills.

* Ensure the fish is breathing and can swim away under its own power before it is released.

Remember the future of fishing is in your hands!