Bass Pro

cranks bait

So being that I am boatless for a few weeks, and the long weekend is coming up. I am going to be one bored fisherperson. My wife has suggested going to BPS (and the other stores there). Neither of us have been. Is it worth a 3-4 hour drive one way to go check it out? Don't really need anything, and will be a LeBaron Saturday as we will be in Ottawa.

yeah that's a long haul. wait till you need some gear and then go. definitely go check it out at least once though. but i guess if you really have nothing else to do just go for it. you can easily kill 4-5 hours in there and if you're at all interested the rest of the mall is pretty huge.

even though you don;t NEED anything, be prepared to spend some cash!

TO my mind, it's only worth it if Rogers is working! Heck of a drive to see virtually the same things as you will find at LB's. And from a pricing perspective, you may find things cheaper locally.

However, that being said, if you in the market for clothing, BPS is virtually 2nd to none in that department... I find their fishing department to be the same as any other fairly large retailer.

On the other hand, if you wife is a "shopper", than Vaughn Mills mall is her Utopia! And as mentioned above, Momma happy, daddy happy!

If you do go, make it a point to see if Roger (BPS Bassman is his board name)is working... you will know if it's him, he's the guy that walks around with a huge smile on his face all the time, because you know what, he likes his job and more importantly, he like fishing people!

HH

So being that I am boatless for a few weeks, and the long weekend is coming up. I am going to be one bored fisherperson. My wife has suggested going to BPS (and the other stores there). Neither of us have been. Is it worth a 3-4 hour drive one way to go check it out? Don't really need anything, and will be a LeBaron Saturday as we will be in Ottawa.

IMHO probably not. Why not head down to Watertown NY and hit Gander Mountain. Have lunch or dinner in Sackets Harbor on the deck at the historic Maddison Barracks Inn?

If you're already going to Le Baron, you'll find they have comparable selection and much better prices than BPS. But if you want to see a spectacle, like their fish feeding, along with a mall attached to it, BPS can be entertaining. I rarely buy anything from BPS but I go there for the experience. I save a lot of money from going to Le Baron.

IMHO probably not. Why not head down to Watertown NY and hit Gander Mountain. Have lunch or dinner in Sackets Harbor on the deck at the historic Maddison Barracks Inn?

I was also going to suggest this, and if you about 2 hours further there is a bass pro shop just outside of Syracuse.

I'd go to Hull, Quebec instead & go bar-hopping! ;)

This came as a bit of news to me but apparently Hull is now officially called Gatineau. I think.

Re. the trip.

Vaughn Mills shopping center is very good. Wonderland is right there too so if you make a full day of it and if the wife likes to shop I would say YES.

I'd say go...but think of BPS as a museum. You might pick up a few little things in the gift shop, but it's really just about wandering around enjoying the decor.

On your way over, you might want to stop in at Gagnon's. They're ridiculously convenient from the 401, and they've got skids of stuff I've never seen at Bass Pro or LeBaron's. You'll find the price tags can be kind of scary on big items, but may deflate if you ask. Note: the Park Rd exit was recently removed - you'll need to take Stevenson Rd.

For your wife, BPS is on the way to the Cookstown Outlet Mall and the 400 Market. Cookstown is stuffed full of designer outlet stores, as opposed to Vaughan Mills being mostly regular retail pricing. The Market is 105,000 square feet - flipping massive. The building's divided into 2 halves, part flea market (decent), and part antique mall (spectacular!).

As far as interesting shopping in Vaughan, there are lots of factory outlet stores sprinkled around. Lots of designer stuff cheap, if you know where to look. Have your wife take a spin through Shoestring Shopping for a heads up on what's really interesting in Toronto and the GTA. It's an amazing resource.

I'd say go...but think of BPS as a museum. You might pick up a few little things in the gift shop, but it's really just about wandering around enjoying the decor.

On your way over, you might want to stop in at Gagnon's. They're ridiculously convenient from the 401, and they've got skids of stuff I've never seen at Bass Pro or LeBaron's. You'll find the price tags can be kind of scary on big items, but may deflate if you ask. Note: the Park Rd exit was recently removed - you'll need to take Stevenson Rd.

For your wife, BPS is on the way to the Cookstown Outlet Mall and the 400 Market. Cookstown is stuffed full of designer outlet stores, as opposed to Vaughan Mills being mostly regular retail pricing. The Market is 105,000 square feet - flipping massive. The building's divided into 2 halves, part flea market (decent), and part antique mall (spectacular!).

As far as interesting shopping in Vaughan, there are lots of factory outlet stores sprinkled around. Lots of designer stuff cheap, if you know where to look. Have your wife take a spin through Shoestring Shopping for a heads up on what's really interesting in Toronto and the GTA. It's an amazing resource.

Good grief. We'd only go for one day and with a limited budget at that. You think I would tell my wife about these places? :worthy: I sure sure hope she doesn't read this.

Thanks for the tips. I know she wants to go more than I do. Yes she loves to shop, and see new places. I'm the lucky one that gets to drive. <_<

Good grief. We'd only go for one day and with a limited budget at that. You think I would tell my wife about these places? :worthy: I sure sure hope she doesn't read this.

Thanks for the tips. I know she wants to go more than I do. Yes she loves to shop, and see new places. I'm the lucky one that gets to drive. <_<

Ahh, the sounds of wedded bliss. Cash registers ringing and the husband crying 'why me?' :P

Remember the three golden rules of marriage: Yes dear. No dear. Anything you say dear. Your ticker will last a lot longer. ;)

Edited by bigugli

TO my mind, it's only worth it if Rogers is working! Heck of a drive to see virtually the same things as you will find at LB's. And from a pricing perspective, you may find things cheaper locally.

However, that being said, if you in the market for clothing, BPS is virtually 2nd to none in that department... I find their fishing department to be the same as any other fairly large retailer.

On the other hand, if you wife is a "shopper", than Vaughn Mills mall is her Utopia! And as mentioned above, Momma happy, daddy happy!

If you do go, make it a point to see if Roger (BPS Bassman is his board name)is working... you will know if it's him, he's the guy that walks around with a huge smile on his face all the time, because you know what, he likes his job and more importantly, he like fishing people!

HH

Hey I think I do a pretty good job also! :blahblah1:

I work Monday to Friday til 2pm

Sign up at Basspro.com, and they have better deals than the store, They will bombrd you with their sale almost twice a month as US economy is not good this year.

Bass pro is for your eyes only, nice to visit it for the fun of seeing a huge fishing store with tons of fishing stuff, and then you will be turned off by their prices.

It is a good place to check out products such as reel and rods, and then buy them at ebay or other US on line retailers.

I drive by every thurs or Fri stopped in once this year and bought nothing, plenty of people in there though. When they get serious with Canadian catalogs and fair prices then we will see...

Meanwhile order a catalog or two and start building your want list ;)