There are others Like Me

Well here it is I am a woose when it comes to holding Catfish I was stung a little when I was a kid and now I fear touching them.

But now I have others like me who are experienced anglers who dread holding the stinging catfish. :whistling:

Now if I was from Alabanana I would have caught so many I would be just as talented as the Red neck. :whistling:

So as you can see we 3 people need lessons on holding these ugly fish.

I am sure there are others who may come forward.

So who are ya folks?????

IMG_1225_1.jpg

miscbullheadCliff.jpg

miscbullheadCarole.jpg

Mike the Pike

:lol::P:D

You big babies!

For the small ones: Put your thumb and middle finger right behind the front fins and use a firm grip. Pinning them on the ground helps a lot too.

The back of the fins will not hurt you and you will know to stay away from the gill plates.

I never caught a big one before.

forrest

OK...I will admit that I use pliers sometimes too.

Edited by forrest

I don't like picking them up at all. I got stuck right in the palm of my hand one time and it hurt for days. I'll usually grab the hook with my pliers and shake like crazy until it comes off.

I like catching the big ones tho'.

I don't believe channel cats and blues have the poison tipped fins, only bullheads. Just grab them like forrest said.

These on the other hand... I want no part of. Those toes are in danger as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

homewrecker.jpg

They have only three"spiny spikes" , the leading edge of their pectoral fins and the leading dorsal ray of the the dorsal fin. Fish with more (and all have stuck me more): walleye, perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, crappie, rock bass, pumpkin seed. Lip 'em, or slide your hand up from the back to the front and the "spines" are great to hold on to, try that with the other fish mentioned. The barbels, "whiskers" are nothing to worry about.

Now a leach is a whole 'nother story...er thread. lol

naaaaaaahhhh

just give the mud cat a nice scratch behind the ear and she'll purr like a kitten.

my bait of choice is catnip, or tender vittles.

catfish aren't slimey so its not a big deal, i hate pickin up slimey pike or salmon when their scales fall off all over you. PITA

Y'all girley-guys pull yourselves up by the bootstraps and grab the dang Catfish!!! :rolleyes:

Actually, the larger they are the easier they are to handle. It's the itty bitty kitten fish that always get me! Like this one:

DSC01035.jpg

They're spines are sharper than any hypodermic needle known to man!!! :wallbash:

All Catfish will "sting", the slime coat on the spines is the "venom". Some folks think it's like a snakebite or Bee sting where the poison is injected from inside the spine, but it's not!

Like others have said, slide your hand up from behind the head, make sure the dorsal spine in front of your hand (inbetween the thumb and index finger) then wrap your thumb and index finger in front of the pectoral spines. This will give you a very firm grip on the fish and the hook can be removed easily.

Large Catfish can be "lipped" but I recommend a glove for this as their woodrasp like teeth can leave a nasty abrasion :wallbash: Bullheads have very powerful jaws and will bite the piss out of ya if you stick your finger in thier mouth! :blink:

The problem I ahve with catfish is that they usually poke me when I go to throw them back in. So i usually grab on of the spikes with my longnose pliers and toss em back in that way.

Always carry in your tacklebox a small bottle of hand sanitizer. if you get poked just wash your hands with the sanitizer and the sting will go away instantly.