Do You Care

BITEME

Do you really get stressed out if you get skunked???????

Me I dont care either way i catch fish on a regular enough basis

but it really dosent matter its better then surfing the house

Just my 2 cents

PETER

If I got stressed out every time I got skunked, the I would not be fishing anymore!!! The original reason I went out as much was to unwind after a stressful day...without kids....just my wife and I. It's a little disappointing, but I never leave mad.

Golf...now THAT stressed me.....BIG TIME!!! To the point where I no longer play the game.... :lol:

BITEME: Not sure if you read this in another thread I posted on, but your Avatar scares the crap out of me when I see it....LOL. If I ever saw that face while fishing, I'd probably jump in the water and become friends with them....vowing never to hook one ever again....haha.

stressed out? No.

more determined? Absolutley

Ive been skunked steelheading for over a month now, havent landed one since late november. Im a little stressed about that, but its not because Ive been skunked, its because Ive gone somewhere around 0- 10. I was doing fine up till december and now I can't keep one on the dang hook. I thought Id broken it last weekend when low and behold, after an intense battle the fish gives one last burst and takes me, hook line and sinker.

I will not rest until a steelhead is in my hands.

well maybe not, seeing as I only get out once a week at most..loll

Edited by kemper

In most cases I don't really care, gettin out is ... ah who am I foolin? I don't get "stressed out" but a little disapointed.

Now, had I paid big money for either a fly in or a guide and the big skunkeroo rears it's ugly head, I may requie some sedation.

HH

Stressed fishing? never! Just to be out on the water is instant relax. Its why I do it. After a hectic day there is nothing better. If I dont catch here I try there. Its part of the challenge. Where are they,what is the water temperature,which way is the wind blowing,what is hatching/spawning? Wow I love it.... :lol:

The only time i get stressed is when me and some buddies hit the river we split off in to pairs and try to out fish each other, And when me the person i fish with don't catch anything and the other guys do then i get stressed. But it took me 2-3 years before i cold land a steelhead so iam used to getting skunked. lol And iam so used to catching when ever i go out so it is kinda weirde when i don't catch anything.

jordan

If I did....I would stop going!!

I go just to get outside. Now, I like the challange, and may give some serious thought to the things I could better / different next time (bait, presentation, etc). But never stressed out!!

On the old board I had this quote under the picture in my Avatar:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after" -Henry David Thoreau

It was a real toss up between that one and the one I have now for my signature....because both are SO true!

dk

Edited by dustink

Guest mistyriver1

Nope, I don't care.

I would rather catch fish of course, but if I do get skunked I try and think of what I could do differently next time. Presentation, time of day, retreive speed, etc...

It's pretty rare that I get skunked on my two home lakes ( Neely Henry and Logan Martin ), and I know if I'm getting skunked so are a bunch of other people. Now put me on a new lake for the first time or a lake I just fish once a year and I will reek of skunk, but I'm used to that and I still have a good time. I don't get stressed out about not catching fish, but I do get stressed about other things while fishing... like "tools" on the water, equipment breakdowns, and losing a PB. Then after a few minutes when I've cooled down, I have to laugh at myself and say " you dumbass... you're out here to relax and have a good time", and then everything is fine. :lol:

yes i do care but no i do not get stressed out.

if i do it right and get nothing on a fishery and system i know, fine it's one of those days.

on something that i don't know or havent fished but have studied up on and get skunked.....

then the smile straightens a bit and makes me want to try it again to find what i did wrong

I have no problem going out and not catching a thing because most of the time just being out in the boat, on the riverbank or wading in the river is the most relaxing and worthwhile thing I could possibly think of... Its always a bonus though if you catch fish but doesn't bug me too much If i dont... on the otherhand if it is my fault (not setting the hook etc.) then I will get frusterated at myself...

Nope. Don't really care if I catch anything or not. If I do ... great. If I don't, I spend some time that evening trying to figure out 'why not'; then give it another try the next day. I don't let getting skunked ruin my time in the out of doors. I just enjoy being out there.

We've been to this one camp on the Lower French three years running now, and after three 'one-week-long' trips, my better half has yet to catch a fish. Three trips, three weeks total - no fish of any kind. BUT - we're heading back there again this September. She's a real trooper and doesn't give up. Persistance and self evaluation will eventually pay off.

I started fishing for musky a few years ago, so I am trying to learn as I go - on my own. Needless to say, I only have one to this point. Looking forward to the day when I have the opportunity to fish with an 'experienced' musky fisher-person to give me some pointers ... or a swift kick if need be. Maybe someday. I used a guide once, but it was someone who does not really target muskies, so I didn't get a lot out of that trip ... other than a couple locations to try.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Gotta agree with everyone else here, if I'm getting skunked I just think about the fact that I'd probably be sitting in the basement in front of the TV if I wasn't out on the water and then I feel good. Of course if the weathers lousy or the drive was bad or I forgot a snack or something like that then I really need to land at least one or else I will be kinda testy on the drive back :)

Never stressed...I get out there for the sole puropse of enjoying my surroundings and releiving the stress of my daily routine.

And honestly 99% of the time I'm happy just to get out on the water, or bank.

Catching something is a bonus :)

I'd be lying if I said I never got frustrated though...

However I only get frustrated If I'm the only sucker not catching LOL...

Calm blue ocean... Calm blue Ocean.. Fishing is supposed to be therapeutic. Your blood pressure is supposed to drop! I try not to loose it, but it's stronger than me sometimes. I think we've all been in that spot at some point in time.

Peter, I do recall a certain outting to OP last year though.. Remember? I was slaying em that day and you were cursing under your breath.. I know I would have lost it!! I certainly hope that the fish gods have been kinder to you since.

cheers

Diddlhis Kahn

if do get skunked :dunno: i always say hey theres always next time,then i think of what i can do next time or to change tactics,so like i always say never give up :thumbsup_anim: sometimes its all about fishing new lakes and trying new lures or just getting away from the rat-race and going out in my boat just chillin out :D

I don't really go fishing expecting to catch anything and that method works out for me. I just use fishing as an excuse to hang out with my friends, not work, eat a huge lunch, relax, or a combination of any of those. When I actually end up catching myself a few pike or even the odd waleye I'm pretty much ecstatic.