Well Now, This Was Fun...............and A Bit Pic Heavy.

tjsa

The usual for me, up at 4:15, on the road at 6, got home at 5:30, :lol::lol::lol:

Went to a stocked rainbow lake, they put 500 yearlings in a few up here in 2005. With the help of the gps and map, we found it. Slowly and carefully, made our way down the 150 ft. slope to the lake, and set up shop near a point. Not a big lake, no minnows in it, strictly crustaceons and shrimp.

IMG_1204.JPG

Got in and all set by 9:15, first bite by 9:40, but even after taking 20 ft. of line, it was gone. About 15 min. later, another hit on a set line(we were using worms), and the first fish. Didn't fight much coming up, but when it got near the hole, all heck broke loose, and after a few runs, outta the hole it came.

First ever rainbow ice fishing for us.

IMG_1215.JPGIMG_1216.JPG The jigging rod(which did not catch the fish, my bud just put the lure and the rod in for scale) is between 24-30 inches long.

Jigged for a while, nothing, my bud tried that lure in the fish's yap, something called a Chunky something, supposed to be a great lure in perch colour for walleye, and there are 4 sizes. Also supposed to be deadly for lakers in the 9 cm size, and the action is great with them, dart all over the place. I tried a Williams something or other, and also a white tube, but nada.

1 hr. later, another hit on a set line, different hole, spool spinning like crazy,

Action shot.IMG_1218.JPG

Outta the holeIMG_1220.JPG

Eggs spewing everywhereIMG_1222.JPG

The two fish togetherIMG_1223.JPG

Mmmmm, spawnIMG_1224.JPG

Then, a lull, cut some wood, chopped some wood, built the fire, roasted the deer sausages, and smokies, changed lines to other holes, conversation.

Around 11:30, my buds line goes down, fast.

The fight is on.IMG_1225.JPG

Coming up the holeIMG_1226.JPG

Getting a grip on herIMG_1227.JPG

His three, all togetherIMG_1229.JPG

And, that was about it, my bud had a hard hit on his jig sometime after, but the wind came up, and the fishing seemed to just shut down with a low pressure weather pattern moving in.

Even though we have ice, and some snow, the south facing hillsides are pretty bare.

IMG_1230.JPG

Packed up for the trek out, just when it started to lightly snow

IMG_1234.JPG

Whups, ran out of space for pics, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

To finish, heading out across the lake

IMG_1236.JPG

My bud, with his haul tied onto his auger, slung over his shoulder

IMG_1238.JPG

Halfway up the flippin hill, 3rd rest stop, :lol::lol::lol:

IMG_1239.JPG

Looking up the hill at my bud, around 40 yds. ahead of me

IMG_1240.JPG

So, we get back to the truck, and I discover I lost my OFC toque. Dropped everything and let my bud pack it up, walked back through the cut, down the flippin hill(much easier), back onto the lake, and I had dropped it 100 yds. from where we were fishing, :lol: but I couldn't leave it behind. Only took me 17 minutes to go back down and back up to the truck to retreive it, and I climbed the stupid hill without 4 rest stops this time(a lot easier without a bloody 60 lb. pack on) :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Gerritt, I don't have to blur out the pics, almost no one goes where my bud and I go, but this lake had been fished by at least 2 parties late december sometime, their sticks were still to be seen, but no evidence of any recent tracks in since the last couple of small snowfalls.

Edited by tjsa

Excellent report and pics Tom!!! :thumbsup_anim: ... but you should be ashamed of yourself... molesting poor pregnated Trout like that, Oh!... that's right!... you didn't catch any fish!!! I was wondering what that smell was when I opened this thread. ;)

Dang! 3-0... that's a pretty bad strappin'! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Better luck next time Bubba! :Gonefishing:

WAY TO GO YOU GUYS...great report & those pics say it all, :thumbsup_anim: those rainbows look so pretty those colors are amazing,that looked like a perfect ice fishing trip,wish we could have been there to enjoy it like you guys did.....great way to start of the new year.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::D

Excellent report and pics Tom!!! :thumbsup_anim: ... but you should be ashamed of yourself... molesting poor pregnated Trout like that, Oh!... that's right!... you didn't catch any fish!!! I was wondering what that smell was when I opened this thread. ;)

Dang! 3-0... that's a pretty bad strappin'! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Better luck next time Bubba! :Gonefishing:

Yeah, I got schooled, :lol:

Oh well, thats fishing, at least I ate good. :thumbsup_anim: