Channel Cats Part 2 - "The Storm"

Rich

Sleded and I had a late start tonight as we headed to the cat hole. On the way down to the spot, there was thousands of worms, so I picked a half dozen and threw them in my pail for the heck of it. I started off by balling like all 6 on the hook, and nailed the first fish of the night which was of course, a bullhead.

DSC01297.jpg

Sleded opted for the sucker meat, as that has been the ticket in previous years. Good choice. It wasn't too long and he was into his first, which broke off. Not long after, he was into # 2 and this one was a good one.

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

While he was reeling this fish in and I was getting the net ready, I heard a loud SNAP near us but thought nothing of it. After releasing the cat I looked over and realize that I had just had a monster hit. I always thought the Y-Stick was an impenetrable bind of fortitude, but it turns out they don't handle big cats very well.

DSC01302.jpg

After completely missing this fish obviously, I re-baited with sucker meat. Then the storm hit. We were surrounded by lightning and thunder, and to be honest it kinda scared me to be standing on a riverbank with a 9 foot lightning rod in my hand. As we were packing our things, my rod fired off. Yes, I was into my first landed channel cat of 2008, and a pretty good one at that. :thumbsup_anim:

DSC01303.jpg

We tried to ride it out a bit hoping the storm would fade, but indeed it intensified and I said nope, this ain't worth risking my life. We headed home.

Even though mother nature cut our trip short, it was an awesome time and I can't wait to get out again! This is one of my favorite times of the year. Nothing fights quite like a big old cat. Thanks for the trip Sleded.

Edited by Rich

nice to be out fishing even though the weather wasn't really cooperating. The cat in the last pic, its whiskers looks like christmas-tree-light-cables lol

and i'm guessing you can tell everyone that "you risk your life bringing in your first cat of 2008" :D

Glad you have good time out there. And that you decided to play it safe. I was out recnelty chumming and spot I have never fished before during the thunderstorm is was a weird feeling fireing a bait rocket while there is lightening.

I guess the cats knew it was safer underwater while there is storm above. So buffet time !! The last cat looks bigger and I guess she or he was rolling in the bushes

:rolleyes:

dsn

Edited by dsn