Anybody Working Over Christmas ?

lew

For about 37 years I worked either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, or on alternate years it was New Years Eve or Day.

Couldn't complain though as I knew what the schedules were going in, but it was always hard when the kids were young and I had to miss so many fun things with them at Christmas........setting out the midnight snacks for Santa and the reindeer, watching them staring out the window to see if they could see the sleigh arcing thru the night, seeing their expressions when they came down the hall on Christmas mornings........

Yup, lotsa great memories, but lotsa missed moments too when your working the Christmas shifts :(

There's only a few years when your kids can REALLY get into the magic of Christmas.......the elves loading the sleigh, Santa and the reindeer up on the roof, coming down the chimney, eating food left for them after they unload all the goodies :santa: .........

You miss those few really incredible years when your not there.

How bout you, do you have to work over the holidays ??

Fortuneately Lew, I don't have to work over the holidays but a thanks goes out to those who do.

My niece, who is single, has volunteered to work Christmas Day this year so her co workers who are married with kids have the day off - she's a good kid for doing that. We will miss seeing her but it's a good thing she is doing.

That would be me Brother. My shift has been stuck on this Christmas rotation for a few years now. Fortunitly I finish on Christmas morning for 2 days but will be spending the night there tomorrow. Guess I'm luckly not to have kids and not being concerned with the whole chirstmas morning thing.

Hope everyone that is working the Holidays stays safe.

Mike

I've been lucky since I've worked weekends, nights and even some holidays,

but managed to avoid the main part of the holidays.

I've worked Christmas Eve many times, but always when on day shift and finished early enough to join the family for dinner and presents later in the evening.

I've worked New Years Eve many times, but again, always while on day shift and finished early enough to

enjoy the evening.

I can't remember ever missing a holiday with the family because of work.

My schedule always conveniently worked around it.

I did miss a few family dinners aside from holidays though.

Being in entertainment, this is my busy time. I have often worked Christmas eve but this year I got lucky, I'm off after tonight and through until Tuesday. Next week is a different story. I have karaoke parties every night from Wednesday through Saturday, then dj a New Years eve dance and the Legion President's Levee on New Years Day. It's all fun though and I can have a drink on the job. Yeee Haaww. My kiddies are all grown up and doing their own thing for a long time now so we don't even worry about that. Life is good!

This is the first year in many that I have Christmas off, Boxing day too. I am working tomorrow and New Years Eve and Day. I don't mind, I have no kids of my own so it's not that big a deal, but it will be nice to see my family and friends this year. Especially my great nephew, who is the closest I will ever come to being a grandmother :)

Maureen

Yup, Ill be working Xmas and New Years. The Oil Patch doesnt stop. But heres the good thing! At least Im not overseas making Army Money (not alot) Missed Christmas 3 times. Germany, Bosnia, Gulph. A special Merry Xmas for the Boys overseas now. God Bless

I have almost always had to work Christmas eve, Boxing Day, New Year's eve and New Years day. This year I got out of working Christmas eve, Christmas, New Year's eve... The only good part is that on Boxing Day and New Year's Day I can go fishing early then work for a few hours in the afternoon.

My Daughter works in Nursing home as a PSW and has worked every Christmas for the 4 years she has been there so the other can have time at home with their Kids and Family. She loves being there for the Residents that don't have anyone to Visit them either or as she said just don't visit their Eldily parents... Got to love her for caring.. She makes us Proud :blush:

I go back on boxing day. I actually scored New Years off too but I'm gonna work new years day at my part time job so someone else can have the day off. We usually have a good time when we work on the holidays, everyone is in the same boat and away from their families so we make the best of it.

And if your cats stuck in the tree, quit buying the cheap cat food. :thumbsup_anim:

My answer to that one has always been, have you ever seen a dead cat in a tree ma'am? No? thats because if you leave them alone they come down on their own.

Lew,

In the last 16 years always worked the holidays, not much of a choice in this proffesion

Working the night shift for the next 5, 7:30 pm to 07:30 a.m. My girls are with their mom this year, but I will spend some time with them on Christmas day in the afternoon. Christmas Dinner is going to be here at the ambulance garage with my partner and the O.P.P guys that are working the grave yard shift as well. Hope everything will stay quiet !

Off New Years and spending that with my girls and friends, going out to the camp for a little down time, and enjoying life! :santa:

When I was young I worked a lot of holidays so others could be with their families but once I was in a skilled trade (30years) and had my own family I've only HAD to work a couple.

My daughter is a nurse and she will usually work for others to be off, but she usually manages to take a couple hours to come to dinner.

Merry Christmas!

Whopper

Yup...

every Christmas Eve, And Christmas Day for the past 7years :(

But like you Lew...I knew the shift walking into the job.

As a Chef I unfortunately work all the big dates...

New years eve, Valentines day, Easter Sunday, Mothers day, Fathers day, etc...

But the only one that hurts is Christmas Day....

Especially now that I have Kids.

But thats just life as a Chef.

Edited by Cookslav

When we were involved with the different businesses we ran, for the first 10 years or so we would always keep the video store open 365 days a year. Since no one wanted to work those days the wife and I would as it was very dollar wise to do so. As years passed we backed off on Christmas day. Since retiring 7 years ago I have done and continue to do a lot of different jobs but vowed I would never work holidays again. I have to admit however that if it were not for the grandkids I would find Christmas day boring.

My wife and I work for the same company. This year, as Christmas falls on a Monday ... we get a 4 day week-end. They even broke down and left us leave early this past Friday. Four days off, work three, and then annother three day week-end. I could get used to that ... if the pay stayed the same. Pray for those who do have to work to be safe and bring some Christmas spirit back home to their families.