Missing Fisherman

steelhedrmatt

yes i watched the story on breakfast television,a few minutes ago,and by the way the camera was filming it was open water ,and you could see where the ice stopped,so it must have been at the end of cooks bay where it meets the main basin,cause there is supposedly no open water in cooks bay so it sounds as if he went quite a ways ,and they didnt say if he had a snowmobile,or an atv....cause he would have had to walk quite a ways north before he went out on the main lake,maybe he was lost in the fog,so there is definatly details missing in this story,its too bad cause the outcome doesnt look good at this point.....inexperience will kill you,and so will stupidity,and lack of safety gear as well,so which one is it...i guess we will find out when they find his body !!!!!

See......a $5 compass could have saved this guys life! of course I'm assuming the worste case scenario......maybe he's just lost in the fog, so decided to stay put and spend the night.....who knows.

I was on scugog last night, and it was pretty brutal out in that fog. I was less than 100 yds from shore, and you c ouldn't see it in any direction. Not hard to get turned around out there.........GET A COMPASS!!!!

Sinker

Sorry, didn't see this thread before I posted mine.

I hate to post this but I think the family needs our thoughts and prayers at this time. I hope he is OK.

Police search for missing Toronto ice fisherman

The Canadian Press

ROCHES POINT, Ont. — Police are searching the southern tip of Lake Simcoe and the shoreline for a missing 60-year-old man from Toronto.

York Regional police say the man was last seen setting out to go ice fishing in the lake near the town of Roches Point.

The man's vehicle has been found in the town.

Police say the man, whose name has not been released, suffers from diabetes and is bi-polar.

Authorities say that due to the warmer temperatures, the ice is very unsafe on Lake Simcoe and other water bodies in southern Ontario.

Just got back from my drive up to Sudbury and heard about this on the radio.The fog was so thick that at times it was hard to see three car lengths, I can only imagine how bad it must have been on the lake but it wouldn't be hard to get turned around out there and end up walking into a dangerous area. As I was coming from Orillia down to Beaverton the rain was so heavy that I had to pull off the road a couple of times until it died down. If he is still alive out there somewhere, ice conditions will be getting worse fast! last report I heard was that they were now expanding their search to Cooks Bay. All I could think was" I hope he is OK and it isn't one of our OFC Family".

As fishnsled said, I think prayers are probably in order!

Wow...it's amazing how many people go out and get themselves in trouble on the ice.....

If I wasn't home sick today, i would have been out looking for him...a perk of being a part of a Search and Rescue Team. I hope we find him safe and sound and in good health!

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Hope they find him soon....They said on radio he was taking medication.....

Anyways, it said it was at Roche's Point and my husband has alot of customers there and he said just last week it had finally began to ice over....He said that it may be awhile till you can ice fish there.....No way would we go out there now.....Sure has been strange weather....

Lorissa

And Remember, get out of you vehical and walk about 5 meters away from Metal. If you cant see, take bearing tell your buddy to stop and then move to him. Slow but it works in a whiteout. Or just panic and drive right into open water. Sorry guys, but by now I would think, he is toast. 70 yrs old, no clues, unless theyre keeping his footprints a secret.

I thought about him a lot today. How he must have felt when he realized he was lost; not knowing which way to go to get back to shore. When sheer panic sets in not knowing whether or not you are walking in circles all the time heading towards open water. Sure hope someone finds him soon sitting in a fish hut safe and sound.

Well, I've checked CTV News, 680 News, and the Toronto Sun hoping to hear that he'd been found but so far nothing. Every hour that slipps by brings a less likely chance that he will be found alive. The fog seems to have lifted durring the night, that might help them in their search today.

Being out there in the fog is no fun. Been there. Very scary and lonely feeling.

Knowing it was best to just sit and wait it out is what we did. Drilled holes and fished til we could make out where we were. Turned out we were out in front of Snake,we were heading for Fox..

Being out there in the fog is no fun. Been there. Very scary and lonely feeling.

Knowing it was best to just sit and wait it out is what we did.

Good advice misfish!!...I wouldn't head out anywhere anymore without a GPS...it's amazing how much they have come down in price these days....A couple of years back we had outboard motor problems here on the river and didn't get it back up and running until well after dark..We got home safe using the GPS..I can't even imagine what it would have been like trying to find our way back home in total darkness without it!!!

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Very sad indeed.

From the Toronto Sun.

KESWICK -- A 60-year-old North York man who went missing while ice fishing over the weekend has been found dead.

York Regional Police located the body of Ilia Vaxman floating on Lake Simcoe by helicopter.

Officers found the missing man's vehicle around 1 a.m. yesterday parked at the south end of Osbourne St. in Roches Point -- just north of Keswick, about an hour north of Toronto.

Very sad news. I was hoping for a better outcome.

I'm surprised he was actually found near Roches Point. I thought that end of the lake was pretty secure icewise from the reports we had been getting and the fact that Cooks Bay had been frozen over for quite some time :(

Joey

real sad

I wish I could find out more about what happened

if he fell through the pressure crack that always shows up at Roches point I can see that but there wasn't open water near that area

but there is lots of water on the ice now and could well be open water...he could well have had a heart attack and was on the ice but by the time he was found he could have been floating on the water on top of the ice.........the report left so many unanswered questions

I agree Terry.

It would be nice to know what the heck happened out there. There are so many stories, and they're all different. How can these people print this stuff?

I'd like to find out the true facts.......it could save someone elses life.

Sinker

the ice near Roches Pt. was a week old MAYBE, and was probably 3-4 inches AT BEST, AND with the mild spell that we had over the past week, he should have known better!

I was out on Scugog on Monday afternoon on 10 inches of ice (VERY SAFE in my opinion), and thanks to IGNORANT people like this man, my dad was SCREAMING at me over the phone for being on the ice.

when this man went missing, the news reports made a convincing case that ALL ice in Southern Ontario was UNSAFE!!! and thanks to those reports, they made every other viewer in Southern Ontario Ignorant as well! and they do it every year don't they?!?! every time a person goes through, they say "stay off the ice, it's not safe!" meanwhile, there are areas that have 10-12 inches of ice and are definitely safe enough! but when somebody ventures off somewhere that they shouldn't, all of a sudden the entire region is unsafe.

just like last january, when those twenty some-odd vehicles went through the ice at Gilford near the shore. i was there that day (parked on land) and there was 8-10 inches of solid ice out on the bay... but i saw the news report that night, and they said "stay off the ice, it's not safe!" there were literally THOUSANDS of people on the bay that day, and it was safe. but a few IGNORANT people decided that it was safe to park their cars on the ice...

here is a link to a satellite image that was taken on Jan 2nd. there is no ice at Roches Pt. yet. that was a week ago, and the there was no ice where he had parked his car (Osbourne St. at Roches Pt.).

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/mod...io.143.250m.jpg

All of that being said, i feel awful that someone had to die just for a few fish... i just wish people would learn to stay on the safe ice.

please, everyone stay safe! i don't want to hear about any more deaths this year