Light Or Heavy

wkrp

With the popularity of the super braid lines, i was wondering if anyone out there is still using light monofilament lines. I personally use an 8lb line for bass and walleye with a carefully controlled drag . A few years ago i had an incidental catch ( 52 lb sturgeon )while walleye fishing and managed to land it with 8lb line . It took me about 45 minutes but was it ever thrilling.

Just because it's "poopular", doesn't mean it's correct, there's a lot of hype involved and if you allow yourself to get swept up with the masses, you pay, a company makes money, advertising works, but, are you really catching more fish. I still like mono, more foregiving with it's stretch and it's still cheaper.

yes i still use mono all the time,and have always caught fish while using it,i do use the braid,and for bottom bouncing for walleyes you cant beat it for sensitivity,but mono is still my fav line to fish with,i also have a rod rigged with fireline for jigging but 90% of the time im a mono guy and got no problem using it forever,and hey they are always improving it to so....stay with it

I use 65 and 80 # braid + fluoro on all my musky rods, but on my pickeral rods I go with 30 # PP but use an 8 # mono leader about 5' long. Like fishndevil, I also like the sensitivity of the small diameter braid, but the less visible mono for a leader.

Works well for me anyways :blink:

I like mono 90% of the time my favorite line is Trilene 10lb extra tough.I also find mono easier to tie knots.Like fishin devil jigging with fireline is great for sensitivity but when you get snagged and have to get the line out you may as well cut it because fireline is difficult to break.

For muskie ,Stren super braid 65lb test this is one tuff line I have to cut it with an exacto knife.

For ice fishing I use stren super braid 14lb.Small diameter like 6lb mono.

Pike no longer snap my line when I am fishing for perch. B)

I like mono, used it for years and only recently switched to braided + fluoro this year.

I think both have their advantages & disadvantages. I would put mono on one of my extra rods for a guest who doesn't fish much, more forgiving like you said.

I like the sensitivity of braided + fluoro, so I'm happy I mostly made the switch.

Mike

I am a huge Braided line fan. I started using Fins PRT braide line on my spinning and casting reels a few years ago. The difference was amazing for sensitivity, casting, the ability to use smaller diameters and also the ability to fish areas that I would not fish with mono. Everyone has their prefernces. For Crankbaits and trolling I use Floro but for everything else its Fins. When fishing tourneys I have full confidence in the Braided lines and know its helped me catch fish and cash cheques in the bass tourneys.

Everything has its place. I still use 8lb mono for live bait and occasionally for jigging in shallow water.

I agree Rich. If it's 15-20 ft or less I prefer to jig walleye with 8lb XL mono. Deeper I do use 30lb PP w/ a mono leader. However, there are days when I prefer the mono down deep too. If the fish aren't hitting all that hard I think the mono gives more finesse and results in more hookups. Many times I have felt a fish quickly pick up my jig on braid and spit it immediatly. Just as you have 'better feel' with braid, I believe the fish can feel you as well.

IMO, braid and mono both have their place, depending on the species and presentation method.

I am a little surprised at the fact that more of you dont prefer the braid. I guess its because I predomantly fish for walleye. I like the long casts,sensitivity and no memory on the spool of fireline. I havent used mono for at least 5 to 6 years..Maybe I should check some out again to see how much they have improved it.

I am surprised at how many fisherman use the wrong rod with braid. Even on TV shows I see guys ripping hooks out with too stiff rods while fishing with braid.

I have a couple fantastic St Croix rods but they are too stiff for braid.

My best night walleye outfit is a old Gorilla rod and 14lb test Fireline. Super sensitive but with lots of softness in the rod.

I am hoping Santa ordered me the soft Avid crankbait rod for use with braids for next year.

I use the braids and flouro leaders for the toothy critters myself. and think that braided lines definately have found their place but whats with the 30lb and 50lb braids being used for bass, like the fishing shows are promoting.