if you could only have one bait in your box, what would it be?

banger

Well, like the title says.

If you had to choose only one lure, out of all the types of lures out there.

What would it be?

And why?

For me, it would be a jig!

Because under any fishing condistion,for any kinda fish, it will catch you fish.I love to jig.And have been using jigs for man many years.I find them to work under the tuffest of fish'in days.Tube jigg'in over rocks for Bass is one of my fave ways to fish.And texas rigg'in a 10 " purple lizard in heavy cover is hard to beat.Or Caralina rigg'in for Walleyes just off bottom can be deadly at times.

You can drag, snap, bounce, hop, wiggle,Drift, swim,or troll a jig.

What more could you ask from a lure.And they are cheap, compaired to hard plastics & other baits.So when you lose them.No big deal, your not out 10 or 20 bucks.

I've also caught some of my biggest fish on a jig.A few years ago, I landed a 20lbs Muskie on a Storm paddle tail jig with 6 pound test.I found when you hook a fish on a jig.The fish has a hard time throwing the hook.They don't have the leverage to throw the bait.Like most hard body baits.And tend to stay in the fishes mouth better, after the big hook set.

Hats off the JIG.

The #1 lure in the World. IMO.

:Gonefishing:

Just my 0.2 worth. :blahblah1: lol

Edited by banger

Spinnerbait........big spinnerbait........infact REALLY BIG spinnerbait

All the way from here............................................................waaaaaaay over to here :thumbsup_anim:

maybe a dark color, or maybe a light, it all depends

did I say BIG ??

I can cast it, or troll it, I can run it very fast, or move it very slow, I can work it shallow or very deep, I can bounce it over rocks or work it thru the weeds, yet it's nearly weedless and won't hang up on the boulders.

And it catches fish.......lotsa fish.

Did I say BIG ?? ;)

Edited by lew

chartreuse 3" berkley power grub on a whistler jig, black or white....

have caught pretty well everything on it, from giant to miniature..

pike, walleye, bass, sunfish, rock bass, crappie, trout, perch,

grass pickerel

in all conditions in streams, lakes,

shallow, from shore, from motor boats, from canoes...

weaknesses....

-doesn't troll very well ( i hate trolling anyway )...

-not that weedless...

If I was stuck on a deserted island and had to catch fish to stay alive, and had only one lure? A hook, and then I would find something to use as live bait like tiny crabs.

But fishing for fun? White grub on a 1/4 oz chartreuse or yelllow jighead. Really versatile, and I've caught lots of different species using it.

Mike

Well for the most, it seems the JIG! is the bait.

Other than BIG a spinner bait. ( This would be my 2sd pic Lew) They just don't seem to work as well, under a tuff bite.Sure when the fish are hitting this Lure works GREAT! but when the bite it slow, the JIG! is #1.

Sure when the fish are hitting this Lure works GREAT! but when the bite it slow, the JIG! is #1.

If you already had the answer picked out that you wanted to hear, why'd you bother asking the rest of us the question ??

I was under the impression you were asking us what OUR favorite bait was.......

I've got to cast my lot in with Lew and go with a big spinnerbait. Not even so much because I manage to catch alot of fish with them, more just because I love fishing with them! Pretty weedless, good castability, fish em shallow or deep, fast or slow and the single big hook makes for easy releases. :thumbsup_anim:

If the intent is to just catch a fish of any kind I would have to say any small spoon is going to give the best bang for the buck. In a boat I would agree with a jig but for fishing under any conditions and to bring fish in a perch paterned 3/8" spoon would be my choice. I have caught huge pike, salmon, medium perch, catfish, walleye, buckets, smallies and even rock bass on this color of spoon.

If I was in a true survival situation I would be looking around for a way to trap/catch minnows, leechs, worms or crayfish to use. If I could find ANY of the those live baits I would take the treble hook off the spoon and use it with the live bait because NOTHING works better than live bait in my experience....

After reading this I hope I am NEVER dumb enough to wind up with just one choice in my tackle when I am fishing, because I am the type who takes 2 or 3 rods rigged for different styles of fishing and I generally like to have tons of lures and 2 to 3 types of live bait along when I hit the water.

If you already had the answer picked out that you wanted to hear, why'd you bother asking the rest of us the question ??

I was under the impression you were asking us what OUR favorite bait was.......

I never said, I had the asnwer picked out that I wanted to hear.

I don't really understand your comment.

I was asking for your favorite.

RELAX :Gonefishing: