Finally it pays off!

selcram

Hello!! My partner, Disco Phish, and I have spent a busy summer testing out new waters! We've tried Harris Lake, Bynge Inlet, Georgian Bay / Port Severn area, Lake Scugog, Cook's Bay, Manitowabing, Sealey's Bay, Wah Wash kesh Lake, Big Gull Lake, Sand Lake and Lake Rosseau. Mostly caught smaller pike and some bass. Tough trying unfamiliar territory... that is until recently, when a spontanious trip landed us three impressive Musky, including my first one ever!

Disco Phish caught the first two while casting the edge of a weedbed on a dropoff, 38" and 36" respectively. Beautiful, chunky, healthy fish that were quickly released. After these we gave an attempt to find some pickerel and tossed into some bays for bass but with no luck so decided to troll again. Good thing we did since not even a minute into it, a 47" muskie slammed my lure and immediately jumped into the air! With great coaching from Disco Phish and a good friend I was able to bring it in where we took a quick photo ( unfortunately didn't turn out... of course ) and revived it where after about 5 minutes it gave a big thrust and off it went. Awesome!

Here are some photo's!!

th_2russellmuskie38c.jpg

th_russellmuskie36crop1.jpg

th_russellmuskierelease2.jpg

th_selenafishon1.jpg

th_selenafishon2.jpg

th_selenamuskiereleasefullsize.jpg

th_selenamuskierelease2a.jpg

Edited by H2whoa!

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice Musky!!!!I too like exploring new waters. Seeing fresh and different kinds of structure get my adrenalin going.

Gotta love Ontario, there are a lot more lakes to go.

Thanks for posting!!!!

WOW!!! Congratulations on all the muskie and especially your FIRST one! You two have been working hard all summer long it seems and you finally hit paydirt. I'm still hoping (but not expecting) for my first one this year...LOL. Good on you for not giving up and trying new things...it's too easy to fall into that comfy trap of complacency.

Great report! Thats a nice 47"er for sure. I especially like the release shot! In the future when targeting Muskies please consider using heavier gear, the fight might be more fun on light tackle but Muskie are really suscepible to being over-stressed from a prolonged fight, particularly in summer when the water temperatures are high. They're chances of survival are much greater when quickly netted and released! Again, congrats on your first Muskie!

Wow, nicely done! Sounds like a successful summer. I agree with pigeontroller though. Now that you've been bitten by the musky bug, go get outfitted so that you can get them in with a little less stress. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that once the fish is stressed and developes orange tinged fins it likely won't survive. Lets all do what we can to keep those fish in the drink. Releasing it is the first step, getting equipment to release it even earlier is a great second step.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the suggestions. We certainly will be investing in heavier gear for future opportunities. Although we were trying for muskie, being the fish of a "1000" casts, never really thought that we would actually hook into some, especially that size. But guess you should always be prepared for the unexpected!! Be assured that the fish were all brought in relatively quick so as not to increase stress with minimal time out of the water and a long release.

:)

Thanks everyone for the comments and the suggestions. We certainly will be investing in heavier gear for future opportunities. Although we were trying for muskie, being the fish of a "1000" casts, never really thought that we would actually hook into some, especially that size. But guess you should always be prepared for the unexpected!! Be assured that the fish were all brought in relatively quick so as not to increase stress with minimal time out of the water and a long release.

:)

I like your attitude! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

We certainly will be investing in heavier gear for future opportunities.

What? You better hold true to those words! The last time I tried adding to my collection of 8 Fenwicks you broke one of them over my head, and stabbed me with the jagged end. My head rang for days. For the next few mornings, I woke up and left for work at places I wasn't even employed! Excellent! Le Baron's here we come! Thanks guys!

Although we were trying for muskie, being the fish of a "1000" casts, never really thought that we would actually hook into some, especially that size.

<Ahem>. Who never really thought? You never listen to me do you? I told you we would catch some fish that day. And don't go trying to remember all of those long days we spent fishing in the severe storms, scorching heat, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, and dangerous freezing temps when I promised you that we would catch fish, but didn't. That never happened. Nope. If in fact it did actually happen, I don't remember.