Fishing Footwear

dustink

I was looking at the pics that Marc posted, and noticed in the one picture it appeared he was barefooted. Lots of big hooks on those baits......

Wondering....what do most of you do for footwear on the water?

I have a pair of Teva sandals I wear (don't forget the sunscreen) that leave some pretty wicked tan lines. In fact I've a got a great little painting from Pam of my feet up on the boat wearing my sandals. I also really like my Crocs, and wear them most of the summer (oh, they're bright orange, too....so they stand out a bit).

Lots of guys sling some pretty big hooks, and I can think of few things worse than a trebble hook in the top or bottom of the foot.

Over 100*F here today with the heat index.....remember to drink lots of water before you get out there to keep hydrated.

later,

dk

I like to be barefoot in the boat too, but I keep a very neat boat and if the baits aren't being used, their hung up on the wire, safely outta the way. I find if there's a safe & convenient place to keep them, I'm more inclined to put them back.

I've seen too many folks just drop baits on the floor of the boat when their not being used and a 7/0 treble in the sole of your foot isn't a pretty sight :w00t:

Even when I catch a fish and he's in the net, the hooks are removed and the bait is hung on the outside of the boat till I'm done dealing with a fish.

Unfortunately it won't be too many more months till were wearing fleece lined boots in the boat while sliding around the deck on the ice.......dang

Hang them up and you don't need to worry about where they are ;)

Cnv1607.jpg

Cnv2065.jpg

Edited by lew

I go barefoot most of the time, and if I get a big fish that I bring into the boat, I stand on the seat so there's less chance of getting one in the foot. Also I have Paul to get in there if need be and do the dirty work, he never goes barefoot in the boat.

Joey

I always wear shoes in the boat but that's because I run a sloppy boat. As far as Marc is concerned, being on his boat is akin to being in the navy. NOTHING is out of place. If he has two rods out, there are only two baits out and they're underwater. You'd swear he has no fishing tackle. The only thing loose on his boat is the pliers and bolt cutters and they are hooked to the rod mounts with 4' stainless cable.

But it is a good idea to make sure kids wear some kind of footwear.

Cut my foot Saturday on Rice lake, stepped on glass in water just beside beach area of golden beach resort. Kids tubing, I jumped out to hold boat while my buddy set up his little guy. Crocs laying on floor of boat, I often kick them off driving around and fishing. What kind of moron throws his beer bottle in the lake-see it in parks/playgrounds in Whitby also-what are they thinking. Going to wear sandals in boat from now on-never know.

Bright note, the cheap Airhead tube at Wal Mart is terrific-squirrly ride at slow speeds (20mph) Things unstable, sits too high in water not even close to overinflated....kids loved it. No need to drive fast to dump them or have them 'catch air'....slight turn whips the tube outside the wake. Kids really enjoyed this tube (Cyclone)....the 'expert' dads didn't-got dumped too easily.

As I mentioned above, Paul always wears footwear in the boat, but sometimes its hot, so I got him these funky new sandals I found on Ebay. They kept his feet cool and his feet didn't burn at all on the weekend and we were in the boat every day for three days.

med_gallery_17_7_2974.jpg

Joey

I don't have the luxury of owning a boat or fishing from one often but when I fish from my canoe (and plan to get my feet wet often), I wear Columbia water-shoes

These ones

BM4215_364.jpg

They come with mesh uppers and drainage holes in the sole. I've never gotten sunburned while wearing them.

Usually wear runners whether fishing from shore or a boat. I have very tender (read girly) feet, going barefoot is painful most of the time. Since getting the canoe I am considering a pair of water socks...safety, comfort and no worries if they get wet!

42066-t.jpg

Running shoes or Ducky's for me in the boat.

When I was younger I was able to walk bare feet on pebbles, stones, almost anything and have no problem what so ever. Now I am like the Princess and the Pea or should I say the Prince & the Pea.

Tom

Crocs for all the way

My brother in laws feet used to hurt at the end of a fishing day (he would wear running shoes) I got him a pair of crocs and now he wears nothing else but and says his feet don't hurt after a day of fishing.