Family Vacation

solopaddler

Hope everyone's doing well!, I've been away since July 6th enjoying a little family time up at the cottage.

With an almost 4 year old and 9 month old it was hard to do very much fishing, but then that's not what these trips are about anyway.

The trip started out bad for me....the first full day there I injured my leg trying to move the outhouse. I was lifting it up using my legs when I felt something tear in my left calf. Felt like someone stuck a steak knife in my leg :blink: !

After that I couldn't really walk on my left leg. I iced it and wrapped it in a tensor bandage and that helped a bit, but I was hobbling around all week. Man it sucks getting old!

I'll being seeing the doctor on Monday to get it checked out, but I'm pretty sure I already know what the problem is...

Anyhow, we made the best of the situation. My daughter Riley is becoming quite the Walleye catching machine which is cool to see. I set her up with a jig and worm and she caught us 2 fish for our dinner the second night. Set the hook and reeled them in all by herself :) .

Here she is fighting one (although you can't see the bend in her rod)

100_1361.jpg

She insisted on a stringer shot (chip off the old block :D ) and I managed to capture her with a look of grim determination on her face!

100_1363.jpg

My son Brendan was constantly zooming around the cabin in his walker at a million miles an hour smashing into everything including his crippled dad :D .

100_1359.jpg

I have a feeling he's going to be a holy terror. Here he is trying to pull his big sisters hair.

100_1357.jpg

Just before this picture was taken he bopped Riley on the head with his corn cob. He always has this devilish look on his face :P .

100_1378.jpg

We're far enough north that the blueberries are already ripening and Joanne and Riley picked a bunch while I sat on the deck, nursed my leg (and a beer ;) ) and took pictures.

100_1367.jpg

100_1370.jpg

Had to take this pic of Brendan getting a sponge bath, he's such a happy little guy! :)

100_1364.jpg

One day Riley begged me to inflate our tube. No problem, although neither she or mommy had any intentions of being pulled around in it. They wanted me, bum leg and all to get in it. 'Course I obliged and they did there best to wipe me out every chance they could :P . It was fun though...

100_1396.jpg

Here's a nice shot of Joanne and Brendan on the point of our cottage

100_1400.jpg

Joanne and the 2 kids playing on the pump dock beside the lake

100_1371.jpg

100_1407.jpg

One of the highlights for Riley was feeding this family of ducks that hung around our dock every day.

100_1415.jpg

When I did get the chance to head out alone (rarely) the fishing was very good though. Early morning was best from 5 to 9. Lindy Rigs with an air injected crawler, or a 3" twister tail and worm drifted across the tops of the shoals was killer. Once the bite slowed a bit and the sun rose higher pulling a 2oz bottom bouncer and spinner rig along the sides of the shoals in deeper water (25-35') put some real nice walleyes in the boat. Largest of the week was a solid 28 inch fish, probably around 8lb's that I nailed on a worm harness in deeper water..

I had orders from the mother in law to bring her some fish, so went out on the shoal the last morning to accomodate her :D .

Of course the obligatory stringer shot was in order ;)

100_1412.jpg

Beyond the leg injury it really was a fabulous trip, It's priceless to be able to spend time with the whole family together.

If the leg permits I'm going to try to head up in a week or 2 to fish a few more back lakes. Actually I was tipped off about 2 brook trout lakes which amazingly enough I didn't know about. They're at the top of the mountain at the end of my bay (so very close). I'm going to bring the float tubes up and try (try is the key word with my bum leg) to hike up there....

Cheers, Mike

Great family fishing report & trip!!!!!!!!!!! lookes like a very nice place to have a holiday and the fishing is amazing,glad everyone had fun,and i hope your leg is better real soon,thanks for sharing...seeing the kids having a blast is worth it big time,cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Awesome report! Sorry to hear about your leg, but you were true to your word and tried not to let that get in the way of having a nice family vacation. Your daughter is quite the fishing machine...and I'm sure your little guy will be reeling them in soon enough.

Some VERY nice fish there...great pics!

Best pic of many great pics is of your daughter at the ready with a stern look of determination on her brow. She will turn into a FISHING MACHINE if you keep taking her out, watch out buddy!! You are blessed to have such a great family and awesome place to go.

Awesome pics and report! I do have one question though... I thought walkers were banned years ago!?! they are attributed to alot of injuries in young children.. Probably due more to parental neglect (slap the kid in the walker and go to another room etc) where did you purchase it? My sister has been looking for one.

Thanks!

Gerritt.

Thanks guys!

Gerritt, one of Joannes girlfriends gave her the thing. Actually I had no idea they were banned, although I guess I can understand the reasoning.

Hey, Brendan will likely outgrow the thing in a month or two, if your sister is still looking for one then she's welcome to have it!

Injuring yourself on the first day sucks...

I hear you on vacationing with young ones LOL

(mine are 2years 10 months, and 10 months old)

Certainly limits the fishing time and the level of intensity at which you can fish but....

its every bit as rewarding if not more to see your kids doing all the catching eh?

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,