First Muskie

Very exciting for a boy that age to catch a good size fish like that and release it back into the water. That looks like Pigeon Lake with the Big Island in the background.

7 minutes ago, Cast-Away said:

Very exciting for a boy that age to catch a good size fish like that and release it back into the water. That looks like Pigeon Lake with the Big Island in the background.

Yes Pigeon.

Very nice indeed, congrats from me as well. There are not many things I love more than to see young lads fishing and keeping the tradition alive. Especially when it is with Gramps. Speaking of alive I am very happy to see yous released it.

That is very cool. I was much older then him when I caught my first. Not even close to that size,but was exciting .

Congrats to the little fella. Nice first.

On 5/8/2024 at 8:50 AM, CrowMan said:

Congrats on the fish. I have a grandson that age and he would have the same ear to ear smile !

Just a friendly heads up...you may want to share that photo with just friends and family. Posting a photo of an out of season fish on a public forum is probably not a good idea.

https://oodmag.com/qa-can-take-picture-caught-fish-closed-season/

absolutely amazing!!

but this is one of those examples where this 'rule' needs to be changed. 

who wants to be the person to tell that proud young man that we can't take a pic of him with his fish out of the water because its actually an OOS fish?

not me. 

the people who make these rules don't even fish and its rules like this that get put in there because of it.

I would absolutely take a pic just as was done.

congrats on the first muskie young man!

1 hour ago, 12 Volt Man said:

absolutely amazing!!

but this is one of those examples where this 'rule' needs to be changed. 

who wants to be the person to tell that proud young man that we can't take a pic of him with his fish out of the water because its actually an OOS fish?

not me. 

the people who make these rules don't even fish and its rules like this that get put in there because of it.

I would absolutely take a pic just as was done.

congrats on the first muskie young man!

Absolutely does not need to be changed..   Then you'd have guys targeting OOS fish just to get pics with them.   There's a season for a reason.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Absolutely does not need to be changed..   Then you'd have guys targeting OOS fish just to get pics with them.   There's a season for a reason.   

Totally agree, on some sites that photo would get you booted. If you want a pic with a musky fish for them in season, simple as that. Or else get a pic taken as you land the fish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Agree. The problem is how do you define "quick photo". It becomes a grey area...5 seconds out of the water can become 5 minutes. Allowing people to take photos of fish that legally should be immediately released becomes a slippery slope..."the sun's behind me, let me get a better grip, make sure my buddy is in the photo too, make sure the lure is showing"...and the next thing you know it's a dead fish.

The reg's as they stand now are simple and straightforward...if the fish is not eligible for retention, then no photos at all. Period.

I understand that there are changes coming to the reg's to allow photos during the C&R seasons. Like the new Bass season on FMZ20...you can legally target Bass, but you just can't keep them. Though that won't apply to OOS fish.

As for the photo in this thread...yes, if it was my grandson I would take a photo so he can always remember the moment...but I wouldn't post it on a public forum. As the last sentence below notes..."self-incriminatinion, especially if the image appears on social media ".

Screenshot_20240508_142725_Chrome.jpg.bef92c9f0f49eae41ab6f29be09a97cc.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

The sad part though, is this little guy was probably really excited about catching his biggest fish and seeing it posted on the internet, but I'm sure those feeling are long gone now. Probably put a real damper on the whole experience.

36 minutes ago, lew said:

The sad part though, is this little guy was probably really excited about catching his biggest fish and seeing it posted on the internet, but I'm sure those feeling are long gone now. Probably put a real damper on the whole experience.

like I said, the law should be changed. I know people are disagreeing with me on that but this case is a perfect example where an a quick photo should be allowed as long as you aren't messing around with it for 5 min out of the water etc. 

47 minutes ago, 12 Volt Man said:

like I said, the law should be changed. I know people are disagreeing with me on that but this case is a perfect example where an a quick photo should be allowed as long as you aren't messing around with it for 5 min out of the water etc. 

I've got zero issues with the kid getting a photo with this fish.  It's the people who would take advantage of the proposed rule change I'd have an issue with.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lew said:

I agree Lew....but the photo should never have been posted on the internet in the first place. Some of the responses and reactions to the photo of an OOS fish were entirely predictable. As Smitty55 noted, these kind of photos usually result in instant deletion and even suspension of the OP on most fishing related forums/sites.

I don't have a problem with taking a quick photo in this instance...but put it in the family album, and explain to the young lad why you can't post it where 3 billion people may see it....and it becomes a teaching moment around the respect for regulations and ethics. As a father of 2, and a grandfather of 4, that's what I would've done. 

Read the room fellas, you missed the temperature, and you're overcooking the roast.  Further, ever tried charging a child under 12 for a grip and grin? Nothing bad will ever come of this, even if posted on facebook.

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, porkpie said:

Read the room fellas, you missed the temperature, and you're overcooking the roast.  Further, ever tried charging a child under 12 for a grip and grin? Nothing bad will ever come of this, even if posted on facebook.

Well said man!

• Like 2

1. Congrats to your grandson, absolutely would snap a pic of my nephews etc. as well. For myself though, certainly not, just ask me about my "PB" laketrout...I just know that it was massive. 

2. The rules dont need changing, and it has nothing to do with this particular scenario, and absolutely everything to do with how the average person does their fish photo op...aka land the fish, bring it in the boat, try unhook, grab pliers, struggle to get hooks out, look at fish, weigh it, measure it, search for camera, take photo, realize its blurry, take another photo and then release. For a fish on a bed, or a big musky...thats a wrap.

and second of all, tournament guys would 100000% take advantage of this and start hosting catch measure release tournaments out of season. Full stop. Dont change the rules, im not even happy about it happening in zone 20. Its unnecessary and those bass dont need additional tournament pressure beyond what they already experience. 

If you really need to document your catches, get a go pro, problem solved. Ask Nick Cousivs about his 8lb smallie he caught in zone 20.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

The rules don't need changing, and it has nothing to do with this particular scenario,

Ok but this is what I am saying. you can't have it both ways.

Either the rule needs changing to allow for pics like this to be legally taken 

or

The rule should not be changed, and this pic should not have been taken in the first place. 

You can't say "rule needs to remain but this is ok as an exception" because then everyone makes an exception etc.

that's all I'm saying.

change this dumb rule so you can take a pic of your proud grandchild with his first muskie legally.

full stop. 

• Like 3

I would rather see a two minute rule

the fish can only be out of the water for two minutes max. If it gets close to two minutes and you don’t have your hook out you need to cut the hook and release the fish 

• Like 4