I switched from wood to propane NF

lew

When I bought this home 8 years ago it had a wood burning fireplace in the living room and it was really nice. I found a wood supplier at a good price and loaded up.

022.jpg

The next year I decided I wanted a stove downstairs in the family room too and seeing as I was using wood anyways I went with an airtight wood stove.  It worked great and threw off enough heat that it migrated upstairs and heated the whole house.

002-26.jpg

Hauling the wood 70' from the shed wasn't a problem as I  like hard work anyways but I was getting a bit tired of the constant mess carrying it thru the house, specially the living room,  so after 2 years I decided to switch over to a propane insert in the living room and reface the fireplace while I was at it.

009.jpg

The new propane insert works great, looks nice and throws off a ton of heat even with the blower off so I decided to get rid of the wood stove downstairs and go with propane there too. I used it for the 1st time this past week and it's also excellent and I'm happy I made the switch.

004_16.jpg

I'll be the 1st to admit a natural wood burning stove or fireplace looks and even smells  nicer, but the new, modern appliances are pretty darned nice too plus I'm not constantly cleaning up the mess and hauling ashes out every few days. 

Simply pushing a button to start them is soooo much easier than hauling wood, splitting kindling, tending the fire and the constant cleaning. They also come with a thermostat so it's very easy to maintain a comfortable room temperature which isn't always so easy with wood.

Just thought I post my opinions incase anyone is trying to decide between wood or gas.

Edited by lew

Been heating with natural gas fireplaces for 20 years, big one upstairs and a smaller one in the basement, don't even have a furnace any more, but we are only 2 bedrooms and 900 sq.ft. in the banana belt.  Equal billing for gas is a bit over a hundred and that includes hot water and the kitchen stove , ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms keep cold spots to a minimum.   Looks good Lew, my living room gas burner is identical to your old wood burner in the basement.

I need to do exactly what you've done Lew. I have a wood burning fireplace in the livingroom which basically means I get to carry wood through the house with little heat in return. In the basement, I don't have anything and could sure use something there too. I can only imagine the cost of two units installed. 

28 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

You just can't get the same heat from gas or propane IMHO. 

Thanks boyz.

Steve, I hear you about not as much heat from propane and you're correct but what I like about the propane stoves is you can control the heat with the thermostat just like a furnace whereas a wood stove or fireplace can drive you outta the room until it burns down a bit. I figure once the room gets up to a comfortable temperature anything else is just too much heat.

We have a big Christmas party every year and tonight's the night, and I clearly remember the 1st couple years with the wood fire upstairs and 30 people yelling at me to put the fire out...it's too darned hot in here LOL

After spending the last 8 years experiencing both wood and propane stove, I find propane suits me more but obviously everyone has their own likes & dislikes.

1 hour ago, lew said:

We have a big Christmas party every year and tonight's the night, and I clearly remember the 1st couple years with the wood fire upstairs and 30 people yelling at me to put the fire out...it's too darned hot in here LOL

I know exactly what your talking about Lew. We have 3 family birthday parties during the winter and the whole gang for Christmas as well. A big group of people... the stove and oven going all afternoon up in the kitchen...woodstove downstairs.....it gets a little too warm sometimes. Have it figured out pretty good now....but in the beginning it was quite the sweat shop more then a few times.:lol:

1E2EEE78-1E9A-40BF-A0EA-D1FC949F45B8.jpegNice going Lew 

Been thinking of replacing the air tight wood burning fireplace at the cottage for the same reason. Tired of the mess and having it go out during the night. 

Was wondering how well the propane inserts heated compared to the stand alone models like you put in the basement. Seems the later would be more efficient since heat  would radiate from all around the unit. What do you think? 

And can you give me an idea what both units cost installed? Thanks 

Edited by captpierre

You and Mrs. Lew have a very nice shack there Lew, and it is next to Burleigh Falls which was one of my favorite places in the entire world.  I bet Lovesick Lake Camp is more than 10 bucks a night now, if it still exists. My wife makes custom slip covers and did them for the love seat and chesterfield that match yours. My former wife forbad me from sitting let alone lay on her former 500 count Egyptian Cotton livingroom furniture, the last time she told me that I didn't see her until we met in court.

As far as wood vs. gas there definitely is a different feel even though 1 degree of heat is 1 degree. Especially a stand alone wood burner vs. gas set into a wall or the corner. It feels hotter because it may be. It may be 90F and you would most likely never set gas at 90 and there will be times your wood will give off 90F, or more. Plus  gas is, clean, labour free, set the temp and walk away for 12 months. Rather than fight to get it lit every fall I just leave the pilot lit all year. Something like 5 bucks a month cost and there are some cool summers morning I will turn it on if just to take the dampness out of the air. I do service it myself every year though but don't need to fight to relight it. The most I miss about wood is simply the smell. When I am outside and a neighbour has the wood stove going it brings back some memories, great memories. We would come out in the dead of winter, light the wood stove and head into Dover for some Perch and come back to a toasty warm Cottage, that we miss.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
I have terrible speling and grammer

31 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The most I miss about wood is simply the smell. When I am outside and a neighbour has the wood stove going it brings back some memories, great memories. We would come out in the dead of winter, light the wood stove and head into Dover for some Perch and come back to a toasty warm Cottage, that we miss.

Like I said to Lew...Debbe is way more attached to the wood stove then I am.  She absolutely loves the smell and earning her girl scouts badge starting a fire. I do ALL the labor....hauling the wood in.... chopping the kindling...but man she rocks the fire starting part:P I think she was a pyro in her last life. Plus she has always loved the heat. Your right about the 90F because I betcha it's at least that warm in my family room right now which is why I'm up here in the kitchen in shorts and a T shirt and she's downstairs with a glass of wine enjoying one of her shows on Fibe TV or whatever you call it. It all comes back to Happy wife Happy life.

Edited by crappieperchhunter
spelling

You got that right CPH. Happy Wife= Peace and quiet. Wine helps too.

Just thought of this. Like I have said here before my good pal has a very large building out here that has turned into a hobby Marine. The insulated section of the building is about 40' X 60' X 20' high. It is totally insulated except the floor, well insulated with closed cell spray 6" in the walls behind 8" block. Up to last week it was heated with a very large wood stove. He was burning 1/2 a cord minimum a week last year. He is blessed to have 10 acres of bush. Last week the guy came in and hooked up overhead tube heater. What a difference. With the wood stove at the back of the shop you could see your breath and near the wood burner you had to take your coat off. Now it is 66F everywhere. I know that because I walked around with a thermometer Friday. So 1 difference is that there is fairly equal heat through out the space.

Another thing I want to mention is that most gas fireplaces have problems with burning out the bearings in the internal fan blowers, no way on mine to simply change a bearing or small drive motors. Majestic anyway sells you a complete system with a new turbine complete with external outlet that is not needed.  Lots of heat to contend with inside the unit. After the second fan kit on my Majestic unit at $225.00 per I decided to leave it as is and simply put a fan on the floor. It probably worked better to move the heat. When we had the Sunroom business we also sold gas fireplaces on the side. I told the supplier about me going through a fan every 2 or 3 winters. He told me to insulate the bearing and small motor with heat tape to protect it. I never did this as I never replaced the turbine blower. It sounds logical. A big argument when it comes to moving heat with a ceiling fan is, clockwise or counter clockwise, especially with a vaulted ceiling. Building Science .com says pull the heat up to create some kind of vortex that creates a greater volume of air moved, (they are scientists) I say one you start to circulate warm air it doesn't mater. Argue amongst yourselves.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We did the same thing at Snug Harbour Lew, started with a wood fire place, went to an air tight  then after a few years switched that to propane. I actually found that the propane ended up costing less than the wood in the long run especially if you figured your labour into the mix. Good choice!

10 hours ago, captpierre said:

Was wondering how well the propane inserts heated compared to the stand alone models like you put in the basement. Seems the later would be more efficient since heat  would radiate from all around the unit. What do you think? 

And can you give me an idea what both units cost installed? Thanks 

The new propane stand alone doesn't give off huge amounts of heat from the sides or back and can be installed fairly close to the walls but throws out a ton of heat through the front vent with the fan on. 

My gas insert is the same and also throws out a crazy amount of heat, specially when set on high flame with the fan on and even on the lowest flame setting without the fan it's nice. My main floor is about 1500 sq. ft. and mainly open concept and it easily keeps it warm. 

I'd say the biggest advantage of the insert for your living room is the fact that you could probably get one to fit right in where your wood insert already is and you won't be taking up any more space like you would with the stand alone.

Prices vary greatly depending on size and make but figure on probably being north of $5000 all in.

Chemong Chimneys in Bridgenorth is who I dealt with and I'd highly recommend them if you're serious about switching. Outstanding company and people and I know others who say the exact same thing.

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Another thing I want to mention is that most gas fireplaces have problems with burning out the bearings in the internal fan blowers, no way on mine to simply change a bearing or small drive motors. Majestic anyway sells you a complete system with a new turbine complete with external outlet that is not needed.  Lots of heat to contend with inside the unit. After the second fan kit on my Majestic unit at $225.00 per I decided to leave it as is and simply put a fan on the floor. It probably worked better to move the heat. 

We have a wood stove. It's kind of messy and a lot of work but so far my wife and I both like it.

OI--the best way to move the heat is to stick a fan on the floor in the corner of the room furthest away from the stove. That way you are pushing the cold air toward that stove and helping the natural circulation. Ceiling fans just stir up the warm air regardless of which way they rotate

3 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

We have a wood stove. It's kind of messy and a lot of work but so far my wife and I both like it.

OI--the best way to move the heat is to stick a fan on the floor in the corner of the room furthest away from the stove. That way you are pushing the cold air toward that stove and helping the natural circulation. Ceiling fans just stir up the warm air regardless of which way they rotate

Our wood burning stove is a convection stove that draws in the heat naturally and no fan is need to heat the house. Great way to build it and I wonder why more are not built this way..... this is the stove we have in our living room.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=208

Another thing is that we don't vent the pipe out the wall but instead out the ceiling as it's a single story ranch house. This way even more heat is being distributed because the pipe is also hot before it leaves the living space.

Ours is similar and likewise goes thru the ceiling. Whether a fan is 'needed' or not is a matter of opinion. My wife complains if I 'overshoot' and put too much wood in(I think I could peel the paint in the living room if I went right to town with the wood! :lol:), but then again she doesn't like the sound and the 'draft' of a fan tucked away in the far corner!! But she 'loves' the stove. Go figger!!!:lol:

I love my woodstove, love the wood heat, but my back is starting to hate it. I've cut/split and stacked 7 cords so far this year. 

I kinda like it, and try not to kill myself doing it, but it is a lot of work.

The stove burns 24/7 here unless we aren't home. 

S.