Overnight winter camping. Any advice helpful.

Acountdeleted

After many years of thinking and contemplating over this, I've decided that this winter, I want to hike into a little back lake that has been on my radar for years, camp overnight, ice fish the next morning and then head out the next afternoon.

The lake is only about 1.5 kilometers off of the highway and there will be cell reception on the lake (I've fished neighboring lakes and had 4 bars. I'd be shocked if this is a dead zone) but I will be going by myself. (No one crazy enough to join me.)

Has anyone done this or anything like this before? I'll have limited space in my backpack after loading up my fishing gear. I figure I'll need a way to start a fire, (Probably multiple different ways, matches, lighter etc) a warm change of dry clothes, a small snow shovel to make my structure with, some easy to eat food and water, toilet paper. 

Any tips/advice (other then 'Don't do it!!") greatly appreciated. I won't be going until probably mid January or February. 

I'd strongly suggest a good sled to haul gear vs backpack. If possible, go before hand to pack down a trail so it's a nice pull in to the site. and get a wood pile prepped and stacked so there's less work to do. For winter fires, I keep multiple means of starting. Magnesium and sparkers. Zippo lighter. Fire piston (when all else fails) and char cloth. and bring a spud for chopping the hole and testing ice.

good luck and have a great time..

3 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

I'd strongly suggest a good sled to haul gear vs backpack. If possible, go before hand to pack down a trail so it's a nice pull in to the site. and get a wood pile prepped and stacked so there's less work to do. For winter fires, I keep multiple means of starting. Magnesium and sparkers. Zippo lighter. Fire piston (when all else fails) and char cloth. and bring a spud for chopping the hole and testing ice.

good luck and have a great time..

I tried my smitty sled last year to get there. There is a good trail packed down but sadly its packed down by a local trapper that has an Argo (super nice guy). Problem with that is my smitty doesn't straddle or sit inside of the tracks very well. I ended up having it tip over about a dozen times the last time I went and I never ended up making it down to the lake. (hence this is kinda my last resort to make it). 

Plus (there is always a plus) there is a little stream down to the lake that never freezes over. I can cross safely but when I did last year, the bottom of the sled got wet and picked up a ton of snow. 

Yes, I have some advice having winter camped a couple of times in my 20's.  I advise you get a cozy motel near by, and buy yourself a snowmobile and trailer.  You'll be in to the lake in no time, enjoy the fishing and be back at the motel in time for a nice dinner, then a couple drinks and you can get up early and do it all over again the next day then head home.  Trust me, it'll be a more enjoyable experience my way, than what your contemplating.  Winter camping is the domain of masochists.

I have winter camped up in the Halliburton area.  We found a huge rock (about 10feet high)  Set up camp beside it started a fire and almost had to move it got so hot with the heat from the fire radiating  against the rock.  So much so that when I woke up in the morning (6 hours of sleep) the fire was out but the rock was still warm to touch.  Another good tip is to put a bunch of rocks close to the fire then use them as your own little heaters you can tuck into your sleeping bag to help you stay warm.  If you rotate them out you will always have hot rocks.  Not quite like the spa but for a night it will do!

You are doing it right tho.  Be close to the highway and having cell service is the way to go in case something happens.  I would also tell multiple people that your going and where just in case.  

If you stay warm and dry you will have an experience you can tell the grandkids about.  

Good Luck!

Cheers!

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

Yes, I have some advice having winter camped a couple of times in my 20's.  I advise you get a cozy motel near by, and buy yourself a snowmobile and trailer.  You'll be in to the lake in no time, enjoy the fishing and be back at the motel in time for a nice dinner, then a couple drinks and you can get up early and do it all over again the next day then head home.  Trust me, it'll be a more enjoyable experience my way, than what your contemplating.  Winter camping is the domain of masochists.

Haha...come on, its not THAT bad LOL

I would also suggest a sleigh to haul your gear. Leave the smitty at home, and just use a tub that will stay in one track. I wouldn't go without a sleigh of some sort, you will need more gear than you have listed. Don't forget an axe. 

S. 

Snowshoes so you can navigate around that motel parking lot you're going to stay at.  If you're hell bound for leather and must do it, here's some tips.  Having done winter exercises, some in extreme cold,  make sure you have a good quality air mat and cot to get off the ground.  Never climb into your sack with clothes on, you'll sweat then get cold and freeze.  Hang your clothes to dry, they may be cold as a witch to get into the next morning, but dry.   Would I do it again, nope, been there, done that at at -52.

I've been out a time or two.

You can do it with a really good freighter pack and snowshoes but a tub sleigh would be better.

Early season I use a ski pulk and it works well.

I made my ski pulk from a kids plastic toboggan and some rope.

Can't seem to find any pics of it. :(

P1170006.JPG

It's nice when you have a good tent, thick foamy and a wood stove to keep you toasty on the lake.

This was a week long camping trip 100 miles from the nearest town. :)

P3280017.JPG

P3290035.JPG

I may have a weekend or two free this winter!  If it lines up with a weekend that I don't have the kids, I would  love to join you!!  

Never been winter camping before myself, but I've always wanted to try exactly what your talking about doing.  

I've got tons of back packing camping gear, and a tub sleigh.

Edited by NAW

1 hour ago, NAW said:

I may have a weekend or two free this winter!  If it lines up with a weekend that I don't have the kids, I would  love to join you!!  

Never been winter camping before myself, but I've always wanted to try exactly what your talking about doing.  

I've got tons of back packing camping gear, and a tub sleigh.

Sweet. Lets plan it out. 

The drive to the parking spot was where I showed you last year. Wouldn't be very far from your place either. Snow is a little deep there. Bring your snowshoes. 

Personally, I'd dump all the fishing stuff out of my pack it and fill it with proper winter gear.  For me, that's mostly wool and down.  Once that's sorted, I'd see what room was left for fishing gear.  1.5km is not a long way especially on a packed trail.  I'd probably look at making two trips if I was solo rather than skimp on gear.  

A blue foam mat under your air mat should provide enough insulation from the ground.  An air mat with nothing under it will be soft, but cold.  Costco has down quilts and vests for about $30 each.  Big thermal value for very small weight and minimal pack space.  

You'll want to avoid sweating.  Better to start the hike cold than finish sweating.  

16 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Sweet. Lets plan it out. 

The drive to the parking spot was where I showed you last year. Wouldn't be very far from your place either. Snow is a little deep there. Bring your snowshoes. 

Lets chat over some early ice crappies.  Weather is looking good for our usual spot, Dec 16 might be good after the cold weather they are calling for next week! 

I talked to the misus last night, and she gave me the approval!! 

I loved winter camping!  No idiots out there blasting music....just peace and quiet. Dry is the key to comfort and the amount of time you're going to be there makes it easy. Make sure you have a good sleeping bag( I had a mummy bag) and just sleep in your underwear. Bring one complete change of clothes for the next morning that were stored in a dry bag and you're good to go. The rest is straight forward...just remember is gets dark fast in the winter so bring a couple good flashlights and get off the ice early so you have time to prepare dinner, clean up and be done for the night by 5:30 latest. Then you can sit and relax by the fire for a few hours.

11 hours ago, NAW said:

Lets chat over some early ice crappies.  Weather is looking good for our usual spot, Dec 16 might be good after the cold weather they are calling for next week! 

I talked to the misus last night, and she gave me the approval!! 

Pay no mind to the flip hut when you arrive. Jer will know whom it is.LOL

Did it when visiting family at around 12 yrs stupid and my cousin had to get his Eagle Scout badge by sleeping outside one winters night. Stupid me said I would join him. After about 30 minutes I almost tapped out then I came up with the brilliant idea to bring the big hairy Collie into the tent. All I can suggest is to bring a big fat hairy Dog, of the canine variety.

8 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Don't put your tent anywhere near where a snowmobile might roam...tuck up against a rock or between trees. If you are out in the open you will spend the night wondering if the snowmobile you hear is about to hit you at 100km/h

And don't set up under trees with limbs covered in ice and or snow.

Some great advice above.  IMHO take a saw/hatchet to cut evergreen boughs to make a 6 inch thick mattress under your sleeping bag. An empty red plastic Folgers coffee container can be used to hold lotsa stuff and using a small plastic bag can be used for the pee issue since it is quite wide/stable/hard to tip over/spill. Look for 'cheekos' 9sp?) which are old burnt stumps/trees/limbs since a piece of that will burn longer with no smoke and if around is light and easy to get and ignite. Some hand and foot warmers are good since if you get a chill you can open/shake and toss into the cold spot whether in a sleeping bag or mitts or boots. Get the long lasting ones and bring extra cuz they're light. To stay warm while sleeping eat some protein like cheese or meat since that will get core temps up during the night.  

Yes for sure re the chicots that are tall and dangerous. I'm referring to the stumps/short/fallen stuff with black charcoal which shows it had been burn, that can be broken/cut apart easily with no risk involved. Common sense out there. No tree that's dead, hollow and tall should be messed with. Maybe what I'm referring to, which was taught me by a northern trapper years ago, shouldn't be called chicot but that's what he called it. 

I'll rephrase and say to look for charred wood from old fires. But don't risk getting hurt cutting old charred tall trees down. Use your head out there.