New Boat Purchase Advice

Can_38

I’m hoping some folks on the board will be able to provide some advice on a new boat purchase.

Details about me:

Current boat: 2009 16’ Legend Pro Sport with a 30hp 4 stroke

I haven’t been an angler my entire life but over the past 10 years my interest or passion for the activity grows. For the most part I bass fish (home lake) where the boat is docked July – Sept & May-June I trailer the boat for Walters and Sept-Oct for Musky. I don’t plan on changing this routine as I quite enjoy the multi species.

More important than fishing is my family of 4 (wife and two kids ages 10 & 8). We spend almost every weekend on the lake & 2-3 weeks of summer vacation. I have thoroughly enjoyed my legend as a fishing machine, family cruises and pulling the kids and wife on the tub :) Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately my kids and secretly myself have expressed the desire to start wakeboarding, skiing etc.. and obviously my 16’ tin with 30hp won’t work.

The obvious answer or advice is an aluminum Fish & Ski which as it turns out is offered by almost if not all major brands (Legend, Lowe, Lund, etc,). I have no doubt these would all perform for my fishing needs but I am skeptical they will hold up with routine weekend wakeboarding, skiing etc.. My wife asked me last night about a fiberglass Fish/Ski so I began my research and found a Nitro Sport Series.

Anyhoo, I hope this is enough info for folks to provide their $0.02 and hopefully be able to share your boat purchasing experience.

Lots of cash for a late model glass fish and ski. Most any boat with enough horsepower can pull tubes and even a wakeboard. I'd decide if I was a fisherman first or if the boat was going to be mainly for tubing etc, and buy accordingly. My family loves the tubing and all that jazz, but my boats main use is fishing, and it's a fishing boat with room for the whole family.

Well I have an older glass bowrider (18 1/2') with a 115 on the back and it's fine for wakeboarding and all the family fun stuff. However it doesn't have a rod locker or livewell. My kids (13 and 10) and I can fish out of it no problem. Me up front and they share the back. If I had the cash to make a change I'd make sure I get one with almost the max motor rating and I'd stick to glass as I like the smoother ride.

*edit to add* but make sure you have a way to tow it properly. Glass is that much more weight right...

Edited by GBW

Kind of like saying what vehicle should I buy. All basically have 4 wheels like all boats float. It is entirely up to you what suits your needs best and above all BUDJET. Make a budget and go from there. Now the difference between your 30 horse 16 foot tinny and a 20 foot glass fish and ski is like a compact car vs. a 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton truck. And the difference in the cost to operate it too. There are days I wished I had a plastic tub and when I tow and fill mine with fuel I am happy to have my 19' aluminum StarCraft. The truck will do everything the car can, and more, the more is when you pay.

Personally if I wanted to do what you want to with the family I would go with an aluminum at least 18' with 115HP minimum for both affordability of operating cost and versatility. Unless you intend on playing and fishing in rough waters like the Great Lakes for stability. When you get into glass fish and ski you are talking big bucks new and used like Rangers and Stratos. Most glass bowriders are fantastic for the ski and cruise boater but can suck fishing from just like a 2 man Bass boat sucks for cruising and skiing. Actually not a versatile fishing boat either for many species.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have small Lund fish and ski type boat with a 90 horse that fishes well and pulls tubes or skis no problem. That being said I bet that fibreglass Nitro would be a nice ride when it gets choppy. I bought mine new 16 feet 6 inches by 84 inches wide as that was my max for storage. If you have the room and proper tow vehicle that Nitro would be nice. I saw one on the lake and thought it looked about perfect. I would max out the motor if you can swing it.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a Lund Tyee, have been in one tubing/wakeboarding.

One thing to pay attention to is how many people will be in the boat while wakeboarding, we had 5 in the boat once, and one wakeboarding, we were having trouble getting fast enough quick enough for the wakeboarder to get on top of the water. This was with a 115 so id suggest getting a larger motor if you frequently have many passengers

Edited by Lucas F

Don't forget Alumacraft, Edge series(18'9ft) is nice. I had a 16ft/75hp for 10 years and upgraded to an Alumacraft 19ft w/200hp this year family loves it lots of room does everything make sure you get everything you want to make everyone happy. I did look at all brands for years and was going to pull the trigger on either a crestliner or princecraft but really happy with the deal and boat I got.

good luck

I'm guessing your current rig is under powered.

30 hp on a 16 ft is a bit low. Typical Legend deal.

I think you need to sort out the wakeboarding thing.

To ski and tube any solid fish n ski boat with decent hp would do.

Try to pretty much max out the hp rating on the boat.

Proper wakeboarding requires a different beast.

Rope needs to be attached high on a wakeboarding frame. Also to provide a proper wake you need a heavy boat with fillable water ballast tanks. Big money.

Never mind a heavier tow vehicle.

You'll need 2 boats. Buy a lottery ticket.

decide if you want a fishing boat that can pull tubes, or a ski boat that you can fish out of. Whats more important. That will really help you decide.

usually the glass boats are ski first fish second, aluminum is the opposite.

Without telling us the budget you have it is pretty tough to send you in the right direction. We can talk about Stratos, Tritons, Lunds and Star Crafts all day long and if you have a Tracker budget everyone is wasting there time and yours.

Yikes..wasting time is a bit much. Isn't that what this entire board is for.

Budget = < $50,000.00

I'm guessing your current rig is under powered.

30 hp on a 16 ft is a bit low. Typical Legend deal.

I think you need to sort out the wakeboarding thing.

To ski and tube any solid fish n ski boat with decent hp would do.

Try to pretty much max out the hp rating on the boat.

Proper wakeboarding requires a different beast.

Rope needs to be attached high on a wakeboarding frame. Also to provide a proper wake you need a heavy boat with fillable water ballast tanks. Big money.

Never mind a heavier tow vehicle.

You'll need 2 boats. Buy a lottery ticket.

The Pro Sports are only rated for 40hp, so the 30hp is fine for a fishing boat.

Budget = < $50,000.00

Idea here. Is it an option to keep the current boat for fishing only and get a different boat for the water sports? I ask based on the fact that it looks like you are willing to spend a decent amount.

I would get a Ranger.lol

Art

If you have the ability to have a second boat I would go that route. I do have to confess that i have 5 boats from a 10ft pontoon to a 28ft over nighter.Yes I know I have a problem.

I would get a Ranger.lol

Art

If you have the ability to have a second boat I would go that route. I do have to confess that i have 5 boats from a 10ft pontoon to a 28ft over nighter.Yes I know I have a problem.

That would qualify you as a Navy in many a land locked country. I love it. My 2 buddies have you beat Art, they just bought their 23rd boat for their Armada, not a typo, 23 boats. Don't ask. Actually many even float and a few run.

Edited by Old Ironmaker