What Are Some Good Frog Hunting Locations In WMU82?

Huck764

Friend and I are wanting to hunt frogs this summer, but we don't really know where we could hunt them. We live in the northern part of WMU82. http://www.ofah.org/zonej/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/mnr_wmu82a_pdf.pdf (WMU82 map). One of the reasons why we want to hunt frogs is because they taste damn good and it's like a treat, as well as not having any luck catching fish (worth keeping) last summer.

Also, another question: I emailed the MNR a few days ago, and they said you can ONLY hunt Bullfrogs, but yet, another friend of mine who worked for the MNR years ago said you can also catch Leopard Frogs. It stated on their regulations that you can also hunt Leopard Frogs, so I don't know why the person from the MNR is saying something different. Maybe they changed it? :/ Perhaps you guys can clear this up for me, because most of you probably know more about it than I do.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. :)

In these parts you find loads of them in just about every road side ditch or culvert with a bit of water in it. i would've thought that would be your best bet for catching them as you could kind of chase them down, as opposed to a pond, marsh or bigger body of water where they can just swim away from you.

It stated on their regulations that you can also hunt Leopard Frogs, so I don't know why the person from the MNR is saying something different. Maybe they changed it?

I am pretty sure that leopard frogs are the only ones that you are allowed to use for bait. I am not sure if you are allowed to eat them. So which species you are allowed to hunt may depend on whether you plan to eat them or use them as bait.

2017 General Fishing regulations: Page 10

"Only Northern leopard frogs may be captured or used as bait"

Limit is 12

Must have a valid recreational fishing license

2017 General Hunting regulations:

Game Amphibians and Reptiles
Bullfrogs may be taken under the authority of a valid sport
or conservation fishing licence. No commercial harvest of
bullfrogs is permitted.
No firearm other than a bow (compound, recurve, long) or
crossbow may be used to take bullfrogs. A person may take
bullfrogs at night without a firearm and a person may shine a
light for that purpose.

See the Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary at
ontario.ca/fishing for additional information about the capture
and use of frogs for bait.
NOTE: Generally, it is illegal to harvest frogs in
provincial parks or Crown Game Preserves.

Snapping Turtle as Special Concern Species
The snapping turtle is listed as special concern under Ontario’s
Endangered Species Act, 2007, and the federal Species at Risk
Act, 2002. Species classified as Special Concern provincially
and federally have management planning requirements. The
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry and the federal
government will work toward meeting these requirements. To
learn more, visit ontario.ca or contact your local MNRF office.
NOTE: There is no open season for snapping turtle in
Ontario.

Snapping Turtle
WMU(s)
All of Ontario

Residents and Non-Residents
Closed Season

Limit
No Harvest

Bullfrog
WMU(s)
1 – 59, 72B, 76 - 95
60 – 72A, 73 – 75

Hunting Regulations 2017 • 2018

Residents and Non-Residents
July 15 – Oct. 15
Closed Season

Limit
Daily: 10, Possession: 10
No Harvest

Personally, I'm thinking chicken nuggets might be a better alternative! I have actually eaten many of frog legs and enjoyed them immensely! These were in the Southern United States where they are plentiful. I also enjoy Crawfish, but up here.....well, we have to make do with chicken and maybe imported shrimp!

Conservation Officer won't know the difference. ;)

"Personally, I'm thinking chicken nuggets might be a better alternative!"

Chicken nuggets? Really? :rolleyes:

Not one of you could answer my question of good frog hunting locations in the part of Ontario where I live, instead you recommend me f**cking chicken nuggets, using a f**king fly swatter to catch frogs, which is one of the most stupid things I've read on the Internet, and recommending me a place in an other country.

This is pathetic. Oh well... I'll ask somewhere else that doesn't have people as brain-dead retarded as you guys.

Edited by Huck764

Conservation Officer won't know the difference. ;)

"Personally, I'm thinking chicken nuggets might be a better alternative!"

Chicken nuggets? Really? :rolleyes:

Not one of you could answer my question of good frog hunting locations in the part of Ontario where I live, instead you recommend me f**cking chicken nuggets, using a f**king fly swatter to catch frogs, which is one of the most stupid things I've read on the Internet, and recommending me a place in an other country.

This is pathetic. Oh well... I'll ask somewhere else that doesn't have people as brain-dead retarded as you guys.

To quote another member on a separate thread; This juvenile definitely has coconut issues.

Hey Huck,

Why don't you stick to chicken nuggets instead ? I must have forgot your response, after all i'm brain dead

Anyhow, when you sit down beside the marsh to enjoy your grimey little frog legs, be careful not to lose the only tooth you have left : you'll need that to open your beer can ! Best advice you will ever get.

Sincerely ,

Mark

I don't know about WMU 82, up the Bruce, but around here the best time to get frogs is on a rainy night back of Verona, there are hundreds of them on the road. Some are not so thick any more, but the ones that only got run over once are still pretty good.

Best frog legs I ever ate were in Algonquin Park around 1982, caught them with my hands. Second best were frozen frog legs I bought in a grocery store in Westport Ontario and I believe they were a product of Vietnam. Like these ones:

https://www.wagjag.com/deal/toronto/30-off-frogs-legs

But anyways, having eaten a lot of frog legs from frogs I personally caught, I can say with 100% conviction that it is a heck of a lot easier (and cheaper) to buy the frozen product.

JMOYMV

and BTW Huck, being an ignorant prick on here is not a good way to make friends and influence people. Just sayin'

Where Huck lives when you get a divorce you still love your ex no matter what. Because your sista is still ya sista. Please don't leave the site dear Huck. I need a good laugh once and a while.

As far as frogs they sure taste good, just the legs not the cheeks.