NEW DRONE REGULATIONS....what a crock!

limeyangler

Wayne is 100% right on this one. There are may foolish people out there buzzing drones around airports and over crowds with no regard for safety.

I fly RC planes and once watched a club member flying an FPV plane over a police station 9km away from our field. Funny enough the guy was on the club board of directors and nobody on the BoD care less about it. Very sad when the people that should most know better don't even care. That is why I don't belong to that club any longer.

Hey Sterling, I think the registry would have to be for the "long" drones!

I honestly think these rules are put in place just to protect from the idiots as most people have been saying. Hopefully law enforcement recognizes that and wouldn't bother someone with a drone who is doing no harm.

Sadly though, if there are enforcement officials having a bad day or have something to prove, they would be in their right. It's such a fine line.

I honestly think these rules are put in place just to protect from the idiots as most people have been saying. Hopefully law enforcement recognizes that and wouldn't bother someone with a drone who is doing no harm.

Sadly though, if there are enforcement officials having a bad day or have something to prove, they would be in their right. It's such a fine line.

Most of the rules above are intended to prevent problems from occurring before anything or anyone can be harmed. I work outside and have seen dozens of examples where drones were being used in ways that could easily cause expensive property damage and vehicle accidents. I am glad rules are finally being put in place for drones, but I doubt most will listen or there will be much enforcement.

Following your logic, police should leave drunk drivers and speeders alone as long as they're doing no harm during the officers observation. We all know how well that works out for the innocent folks who're victims of another persons stupidity....

I dont have a drone, but I read through the article and the webpage. It seems relatively unclear, and its also not clear who can enforce this? Who is able to issue this fine? Its a transport canada ruling, so not sure if local police can enforce this. There are other things they could enforce Im sure.

If you want to be a pilot you follow the rules of the air.

Its very easy to fly a plain.

Its another story flying and following regulations.

Its quite difficult and requires flight training!

Its about time that every person who fly's an aircraft of any type, follows regulations.

NOPE! 5 miles from an AERODROME! Does not have to be a licenced or registered Airport.

Definition of an aerodrome.. any surface that has been landed on and/or taken off from.

Same deal has applied to RC aircraft for decades!

Edited by irishfield

No different than the idiots that have extreme headlamps that look like a nuclear explosion, red signal markers to the front, you name it, some idiot will buy it just because. As for the drones, go join MAAC and at least get some training and fly where you won't get in anyone's face or propwash.

NOPE! 5 miles from an AERODROME! Does not have to be a licenced or registered Airport.

Definition of an aerodrome.. any surface that has been landed on and/or taken off from.

Same deal has applied to RC aircraft for decades!

Is there some sort of time frame to that rule? I can understand having a law that prohibits drones from flying over a water body while a float plane is in the process of taking off or landing. But, if I take you statement literally, it means that once a float plane has landed on a remote back lake; then drones are permanently banned from flying over that lake. That seems like overkill.

Irishfield, honest question.

If the drone is relatively small, like most you can buy at Best buy etc, would that actually put you at risk by just hitting it?

Obviously it might ding the plane but is this a serious risk of downing a plane?

Im no pilot so...

Edited by manitoubass2

Of course it is JohnB.. but considering the same regulation applies to a licenced airport, and someone may not have landed there in the past 12 hours.. do you want to be the one that decides to go drone flying and suddenly a Cessna Citation comes down final and sucks it in an engine? It's all common sense.. but of course that life lesson went out the window decades ago and why we're the policed state that we are.

Rick... I hit a seagull at 1000', the day I came back from Camp Jiggy Jiggy to be exact and as it appeared in the windshield (with me doing 105 MPH !) I told the wife to cover her face as it would have certainly come through the windshield. Luckily it veered and only hit the wings leading edge. A 1 lb, at best, bird that left a good dent and put it's beak right thru my wings skin.

I'm trying not to be a dick about this... I'm just tired of people coming up to the lake and then flying their drones from campsites in the PPark. They fly all the way down the channel to Hwy 11.. browsing our docks and cottages snooping as they go along, with no care that a commercial operator is making 10+ take offs and landings a day (even chasing him along with the drones) and doing the same to me when I go in and out a few times a week. At least with the boats, yahoos in canoes that like to sit mid channel with toddlers to "see the airplane", etc we have a hope in hell of dodging them.. but not the "Me world" folks that think their drone has the right of way.

Edited by irishfield

Geoff.. like I said, common sense. No reason those shots won't continue. There is nothing new in the regs as far as I can see from what was already there. As for enforcement, without a complaint nobody is going to come out to "enforce".. certainly not from Transport Canada.

As for the channel in Temagami.. the OPP has already warned one local that did a "documentary" using a drone to fly all over town and he will be charged if it's repeated. Most of his work was "videoed" right above the landing path for Lakelands Airways Beaver that lands behind my Island in the back channel.

the laws seem to be about the same they were a couple of years ago, thats when i sold mine because i found out i could not legally make money with the drone and where and how i wanted to take videos were illegal . almost every time i flew it i was breaking the law and it did not involve peaking in windows

Geoff.. like I said, common sense. No reason those shots won't continue. There is nothing new in the regs as far as I can see from what was already there. As for enforcement, without a complaint nobody is going to come out to "enforce".. certainly not from Transport Canada.

As for the channel in Temagami.. the OPP has already warned one local that did a "documentary" using a drone to fly all over town and he will be charged if it's repeated. Most of his work was "videoed" right above the landing path for Lakelands Airways Beaver that lands behind my Island in the back channel.

I'm not a fan of them either BUT was considering one to film above me in the area I fish so I can see spots I don't know about. The lake is so clear is why. But I'm not going to get one as it's not worth it to me. And my lake does get busy so not going to risk it for the folks flying for me to see a new fishing hole.

Edited by GBW

Irishfield, power boating, canoeing, drone flying, float plane flying (not commercial), they're all hobbies for different people. Gotta find common ground.

It doesn't bother me at all, but my buddy's float plane ticks a lot of our cottage neighbors off. It's loud as hell, he could hit a swimmer or boater or screw up and crash into something.

Of course it is JohnB.. but considering the same regulation applies to a licenced airport, and someone may not have landed there in the past 12 hours.. do you want to be the one that decides to go drone flying and suddenly a Cessna Citation comes down final and sucks it in an engine? It's all common sense.. but of course that life lesson went out the window decades ago and why we're the policed state that we are.

There is a big difference between flying near an airport where planes are expected to fly and over a lake where a plane may or may not land at some point this summer.

It makes sense that planes would have priority use of the airspace near and airport. But, it's less clear on some remote lake. It could be argued that they drone users have as much right to the airspace as the pilots.

Hey JohnB... I'm not arguing with anyone, just stating the facts and regulations that were brought out a LONG time ago first in the RC world because people seem to lack common sense and many clubs wanted to use aerodromes to do their stuff and caused near miss conflicts. Hell even I allow RC's to fly on my own home aerodrome, but we NOTAM it closed while RC activities are in place.

I have no issues with people flying drones if they keep them below 300 feet (as legally, other than take off and landing I'm supposed to be above 500)... and then of course keep them off obvious flight paths. Don't be out chasing airplanes with them, or cut across in front of me on short final or the landing slide, etc. If you want to video me taking off and landing then buy a goddamn aircraft radio, get on the correct frequency and talk to me and advise what you want to do. Then we're all on the same "channel" and "formation flying" to code!.

I'm OK with this and the fines

I am too and I would guess most people are.

But for pretty much all of Haliburton County it is now illegal to fly drones because of the aerodrome regulation and there's some many lakes up there.

I don't own a drone but my nephew and cousin do own fairly expensive ones. Those cool pictures are going to be a thing of the past Geoff. I know exactly how it's going to play out at our place.

-neighbor I know tells us don't fly that

-we tell him where to go

-he calls the cops

-if it's not busy the cops show up

-a warning or fine is issued

-no more drone flying because a second offence is going to be bad

I'm with Simon, this was botched.