Hour meter on an outboard

Rattletrap2

Brian it is just an inline meter that is tied into the key armed switch it is energised as long as the motor is running. The meters are around 30.00 and using a test light you can find the correct wire to tap into. It will be the one that will be energized when the key is in the run position and off when the key is turned off.

Art

Thanks guys! I have never seen them in any of the stores, but I'm assuming they can be found online? Would it just mount under the cowl on your tiller Spiel?

You may be interested in this, I have a similar one. Simple one wire attachment that wraps around any of the spark plug wires. No power required. You can stick it to the tiller with 2 sided 3M tape.

http://www.outdoorpowerdeals.com/tt2am-hour-meter-by-tiny-tach-reset-able-job-timer-for-marine-engines/

The total running time that is shown when my GPS unit is turned on gives me total time to date and individual trip time. It gives me an idea how many hours I have used the boat since I installed the combo and the time I have been out for a single trip. I might zero it this year and see exactly how much I use the boat for the year. It is turned on before I leave the dock. Unless an hour meter has been on the boat since new it won't help a perspective sale some day.

I like that Tiny Tac unit Art. Sounds like I can even install it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The total running time that is shown when my GPS unit is turned on gives me total time to date and individual trip time. It gives me an idea how many hours I have used the boat since I installed the combo and the time I have been out for a single trip. I might zero it this year and see exactly how much I use the boat for the year. It is turned on before I leave the dock. Unless an hour meter has been on the boat since new it won't help a perspective sale some day.

I like that Tiny Tac unit Art. Sounds like I can even install it.

Very easy it has it's own power source

. https://www.tinytach.com/pdf/Tiny-2A-Instructions-2013.pdf

Here is the manual and installation pdf.

Art

The prices on Amazon.ca are just nuts for the Tiny Tach! $178.00 CDN and up!

I bought mine on line for about $35 about 3 years ago. You can call these guys in Mississausage

Forster Instruments

Mississauga Ontario

PHONE: 905-795-0555

FAX: 800-632-9943

TOLL FREE within Canada: 800-661-2994

I picked this one up at the local Yamaha dealer for mine Brian and it worked well for the 6 years I had the boat. Forget exactly how much it was but it was somewhere around $40-$50 I think.

Just attach to the block with velcro and run the wire back and wrap around a spark-plug wire.

Cnv0642.jpg

Cnv0644.jpg

Tiny tach works well I have one on my Merc. It has a wire long enough to go from the engine to the helm.

https://www.tinytach.com/gasoline-tinytach

Art

X2

Tiny Tach has served me well. My fisrt on a 25 Yamaha four stroke lasted almost ten years. My second is on my 40 hp Mercury four stroke.

Handy gadget for prop selection as well.