Boat ramp etiquette

captpierre

I dont even wanna look lol.

Here is mine

Stay to the side until everything is ready

Stay to the side to chat about the 26lb walleye you lost at the boat.

Deploy fast. If you're new to launching, wait for traffic to slow down before taking up the ramp for 20 mins

Unload the same way you deployed, up and out of the way. Everything is fine in the boat until your moved

At a wide launch, dont launch in the middle.

For gods sake unplug your lights before launching. I dont wanna hear about your lights being blown out again

I recall my dad and I out for a walk with my kids and we were passing the ramp and 4 guys waved us down asking for help to launch the boat. My dad hopped in the suv and was in the water ready to go in under a min to have the guys say "hey Mr how you so good at that?". Not to sure how they got the boat out later that day...

Not much better in the morning either, guys with boat/trailer backed in the water, headlights on and still offloading $hit from the truck.

Launching in the middle of the double ramp,

Boat tied on the ramp while they are gone to park their truck and trying to figure out the parking meter or looking for some change ?

I lay the blame at the door step of marine dealers.

They just want to cash the check and fix what people break.

Can't tell you how many times I've offered assistance to be told they just picked the boat up down the street.

You can't fix stupid...........dealers are not to blame, boaters are.

Now, I like the action at the boat ramp. Many times when I don't want to fish I take the bride down there to see all the stupid things that happen there. Sometimes we have a picnic while waiting for more action to show up.

One time I ran into one of my fishing buddies that had his girlfriend out with him on Erie. He was forced in early because she got sick in 1' waves.......LOL

But anyways he was pulling the boat out and no one else was around. I parked about 100 feet from him as he was struggling to get the boat on the trailer straight and he was yelling at the girlfriend. I sat there and laughed for about 2 minutes before he looked up and recognized me. Then he started to yell at me and I laughed even louder before going over there to help him. I will never forget that day.

Well, there should also be something in there with regards to helping someone who is having trouble. I know I have helped many people at the launch, simply because I could tell they didn't know what they were doing, and were under pressure making it worse. If you see someone doing something wrong, or you know there is an easier way, offer to help them.

Biggest mistake I see is people trying to load their boats with the trailer too far in the water.

S.

Well, there should also be something in there with regards to helping someone who is having trouble. I know I have helped many people at the launch, simply because I could tell they didn't know what they were doing, and were under pressure making it worse. If you see someone doing something wrong, or you know there is an easier way, offer to help them.

Biggest mistake I see is people trying to load their boats with the trailer too far in the water.

S.

Yep. We've all been there.

Nothing wrong with helping and giving some pointers!

The best advice I give people is to put a set of these on your trailer.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-5-Bunk-GuideOns/product/1309251421/

When set up correctly all you have to do is drive straight on and hook up the winch, tighten her up, tilt motor and drive away.

I can launch and load faster by myself than pretty much anyone I have seen up in the NWT.

When my buddy and I used to fish together in Ontario we could launch or load in under 30 seconds.

It's not rocket science. A little practice goes a long way.

Check your cranking battery before leaving home too. Mine had enough power to tilt the outboard to remove the transom saver but would not turn the engine over once in the water. If I told you a nut on the battery was loose would you believe me? How does a nut on the battery loosen on it's own? Now I check the nuts before I put it in the water.

I've attempted to help people and have been told that they've got a handle on the situation, lol. I just stand back and watch the show.

Been there done that, so now I just watch.........

As far as jumper cables I have a short set made just for the boat for over 30 years and thank God never had to use them.

I invested in a battery booster pac after the second time I had a battery issue. Remember Wormdunker? Especially now since my kicker doesn't recharge the main battery and my accessories are all on my booster battery and I run my kicker for long periods. No need for cables and a good battery to boost from. People with dead car batteries and other boaters have needed it, luckily not me. It will charge a cell phone too as well as being a bright emergency light. Now they make them so small you can fit it one hand. If you have a boat you should have 1 onboard. It's the cost of a 24, and a 40 pounder.

My funniest launch assist was on Couch. We where staying at that camp just up the Longford rd. Day campers are in that parking lot beside hwy. Just brutal.

The launch ramp is in a creek nice and calm no wind. Buddy can back in when he finally gets there the winch is under water. I'm still patient. 10 try's later I walk down and offer assistance buddy curdy said No. The said yes please and just rips buddy.

I jump in his van pull out move trailer over and not in the water so far.

Told buddy to get in and drive on . He starts protesting wife tells him to shut up. One minutes later I have hook and out of the way.

She made him come over to our camp to thank me later that day.