33 walleye over limit

gaspumper

Mnr did a great job

Four men from the US have been handed severe punishments for over-fishing on Rice Lake, near Peterborough.

The men, two from Tennessee and two from Pennsylvania pleaded guilty to the charge of over-fishing and packaging the fish to conceal that.

The charges were laid after Ministry of Natural Resources Officers checked their cooler while they were leaving a Rice Lake cottage and found 49 walleye, 33 more than they were allowed to have between them.

The group was fined a total of $11,900 and all four are banned from angling in Ontario for the next three years.

Mnr did a great job

Four men from the US have been handed severe punishments for over-fishing on Rice Lake, near Peterborough.

The men, two from Tennessee and two from Pennsylvania pleaded guilty to the charge of over-fishing and packaging the fish to conceal that.

The charges were laid after Ministry of Natural Resources Officers checked their cooler while they were leaving a Rice Lake cottage and found 49 walleye, 33 more than they were allowed to have between them.

The group was fined a total of $11,900 and all four are banned from angling in Ontario for the next three years.

???

Mnr did a great job

Where did you read this from? any links?

I thought that the MNR could confiscate anything that was used in the commission of an offense. if that is indeed the case, why didn't they hit them where it would really hurt and take their vehicle, boat and all equipment used in the offense.

I would bet that had this happened in the States, the fine would be levied and the offenders would not be allowed to leave until such time that the fine(s) were paid.

HH

this is only a small part of a big problem...i lost count of how many times guys fishing out there have asked me about slots and limits not to mention photos i have seen with questionable size fish.....i know a guy on the lake that likely has a freezer full of fish right now :( Glad they got these three but that is only a drop in the bucket.

I receive the newsletter from "MNR Watch", mnrwatch.com. It gives detailed accounts of charges laid for hunting and fishing offences as well as the outcomes of court cases. In all cases the penalties doled out are nowhere as severe as what I would like to see. A 3 year ban on fishing is ludicrous in this case, they should be banned from entering the country for 5 years. To Rick's point re: tourism dollars, not happening as the US dollar (T)rumps all.

I strongly urge you all sign up for the newsletter. I was lead to it by a link Mr. T.J. Quesnal provided a few years ago here. There is however a Justice in the North Bay area and she isn't so kind to offenders. A larger % of the charges seem to come from the North Bay area for some reason. I was surprised to see also that there seems to be a large number of Hunting guide/camp owners that are charged for a number of reasons most often Moose hunt related. I have never read where those charged lose their vehicles or boats. Guns occasionally but not the bigger ticket items that would really hurt like a vehicle and boat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

this is only a small part of a big problem...i lost count of how many times guys fishing out there have asked me about slots and limits not to mention photos i have seen with questionable size fish.....i know a guy on the lake that likely has a freezer full of fish right now :( Glad they got these three but that is only a drop in the bucket.

Sadly, the lake we both fish there are people living on the lake that don't know the reg's at all!

I know more than a few people who's freezers are full of illegal fish and game. Most of them are in their 70's or older that saw some tough times growing up and find it tough on meager pensions . I'm not about to rat on them either. If they were selling it that might be different but \I still wouldn't rat. Years ago some of our neighbours would park on the side of the road and sell fish and game, they still do if you know where to go, that's wrong too because I know the MNR is aware of it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ideally we should have an reciprocal agreement with other states and provinces that if you lose your license here for an infraction you also lose it at home for the same period of time and vice versa of course, not being able to fish in Ontario for 3 years is probably of little consequence to some one from Tennessee . Still curious as to whether they actually pay these fines.

Edited by dave524

Ideally we should have and reciprocal agreement with other states and provinces that if you lose your license here for an infraction you also lose it at home for the same period of time and vice versa of course, not being able to fish in Ontario for 3 years is probably of little consequence to some one from Tennessee . Still curious as to whether they actually pay these fines.

That's a great idea but I think too hard to police so to say...

As for the paying or not paying or the fines. I'd guess if they owe money to the Gov and try and come to Canada it would be flagged when trying to enter and then they WOULD have to pay on the spot to enter?

That's a great idea but I think too hard to police so to say...

As for the paying or not paying or the fines. I'd guess if they owe money to the Gov and try and come to Canada it would be flagged when trying to enter and then they WOULD have to pay on the spot to enter?

No. Apon entering they would be arrested. With unpaid fines you will eventually get a bench warrant. You would be arrested at the border and held to await trial Edited by manitoubass2

No. Apon entering they would be arrested. With unpaid fines you will eventually get a bench warrant. You would be arrested at the border and held to await trial

That's sort of what I thought and was saying. BUT pay before as an option to avoid arrest

Edited by GBW

I agree 100%. I fish rice once a week at least from may to September, and have for at least 20 years....more....and never once have I been checked by OPP or a CO. Not once. I could go out anytime I want and catch as many as I want and bring them home with no worries at all about being checked. Its sad.

S.