What are you watching lately, TV, Movies..etc

ckewley

The music thread is a pretty good indication that there's a wide variety of personal likes & dislikes among this group & as much as I dig music, movies are more to my liking. To be more specific I grew up on the great B-flicks of the 70's-80's & the DTV (direct to video) flicks of the early 90's. The vast majority of cinemas that used to play the greats have long gone, at least in Toronto, but they live on in video/digital format. I have over 3000 DVD's & Blu Rays (most titles folks have never heard of) & still a huge VHS collection (300+ last count). My hopes are that whatever you're watching, whether it be a TV show of today or yesterday or film you might post it here, hopefully introducing everyone to something new or missed.

I'll start with 2 films I watched tonight. Both are from the 80's ( one from 1990) when big hair & big explosions ruled the day. PC Bulls#*t was non existent in the heyday which makes these films all the more enjoyable. Both films were from the same director, who had a somewhat short directing career in terms of theatrical films, but the films he had released are solid gold in my books.

Film #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvMn2Vh0fQ

Film #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pim4GLxxr00

Both films I give a thumbs up

good call on adding this topic!!! I'm not a TV guy so to say but I do love movies and yes the 80's/90's were best. But a movie since ones like "spy's like us" that I really like is "VanWilder" and keeping with the same actor (Ryan Reynolds) one called "Waiting". If you ever worked in the bar business WATCH waiting... ;)

good call on adding this topic!!! I'm not a TV guy so to say but I do love movies and yes the 80's/90's were best. But a movie since ones like "spy's like us" that I really like is "VanWilder" and keeping with the same actor (Ryan Reynolds) one called "Waiting". If you ever worked in the bar business WATCH waiting... ;)

Its been quite awhile since I watched Waiting, not big into comedies but really enjoyed this one & Van Wilder.

The latest Netflix series, Stranger Things

Just started watching this the other night, everything is awesome so far. Dig the 80's vibe, the musical score is on point, has a very Carpenter feel. Love the D&D nod & am really amazed that it is filled with "real" people not supermodels. 3 ep in so far & am really digging it.

Edited by ckewley

My current favorite (season 2 just started and it's even better!):

Getting great reviews too: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/

Loved every minute of the first season hope S2 is just as good.

I've heard a bunch of great things about PREACHER, I'll have to check it out at some point. Tonight's whiff of cheese is another classic DTV action film from 1990

Fantastic time waster

Loved every minute of the first season hope S2 is just as good.

I've heard a bunch of great things about PREACHER, I'll have to check it out at some point. Tonight's whiff of cheese is another classic DTV action film from 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOMcfr6G8E

Fantastic time waster

Season two is 3 episodes in and it's just phenomenal.

Quite a lot of buzz around Preacher, I'll give that a look see.

Edited by Dutch01

Gave upon TV 2 years ago. I got tired of shows that educate how to murder and torture. Way too much sex and violence for my liking. The plots are flimsy and predicable. Way too much computer graphics in action movies and just too much foul language. Cancelled cable. I don't miss it one bit.

I read 6 papers on line every day to keep up with the news. CNN and FOX are a joke and the Canadian news station weren't much better.

I read more and have a lot more time for hobbies (fishing) and volunteer work.

Mud

Gave up watching live tv a couple of years ago

I record what I want to watch and watch it when I feel like it

I have an android box and can watch most anything on it when I want. Watched new ghostbusters and new startek over the weekend. Hope to watch them again when it's not a cam video

The girlfriend picked up an Android box for me for my birthday and I'm in love with the thing lol, I can watch basically anything, $95 all in plug and play, lately I've been watching Person of Interest, really well done show, and suits just started up season 6 so I'm watching that also.

I haven't watched a TV show from the big networks for years since we got satellite. HBO, Showtime and others all put out weekly series with ZERO commercials that feel like you have watched a 1 hour movie every week. Game of Thrones, Ray Donavan, Shameless, True Detective, Outcast and many weekly series that are no longer in production. The best ever was Deadwood. Many people I know have never heard of these shows because they have cable. If it has a commercial every 4 minutes I will not watch it, even watching the news bothers me with the interminable commercials that insults our intelligence.

Turner Movie Network TMN has oldie movies from the silent era to 60's commercial free. If you are a movie buff you have to get it anyway you can.

Unfortunately we don't have the Band Width with Xplornet to stream with a box that I can get on the cheap.

Edited by Old Ironmaker