As some of you may have read, I planned a one night yak fishing/camping trip for this weekend.

I posted about it early last week to see if anyone wanted to join me. But for obvious reason, I didn't end up finding anyone to tag along. But that's OK with me, I love hitting the bush solo.

My work asked me to work Saturday, so I did a short shift from 8 to 2. Then headed up "north".

Over all, is was a great little trip. The fishing was slow. But I managed a few bass and pike. No eyes, which was disappointing, but I know they are in there!!

The boat launch.

DSC_0547_zpsppxh17et.jpg

The paddle in to my site.

DSC_0548_zpsmd1hajit.jpg

Portage #1

DSC_0551_zpsnyccyzut.jpg

DSC_0554_zps58qc2bm0.jpg

DSC_0552_zps8nlhoptf.jpg

Portage #2

DSC_0570_zpsfy4sgsgh.jpg

DSC_0571_zpsav61x5me.jpg

DSC_0568_zpsecxhovpq.jpg

DSC_0573_zps3pbkr1en.jpg

DSC_0574_zpspc58xxna.jpg

DSC_0576_zpsdnbyw7fc.jpg

DSC_0577_zpsvatgsenw.jpg

My site

DSC_0587_zpsmxslwldf.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsityn0y0i.jpg

DSC_0592_zpswkvk4xlb.jpg

The yak

DSC_0594_zpsl0zxqoit.jpg

DSC_0596_zps2ckpdmfu.jpg

DSC_0597_zpsth6ea1j1.jpg

On my first cast I tied in to a decently sized pike. We tussled for a bit, and when I was about to try to land him (first pike ever in the kayak), something rather unexpected happened. The dam pike jumped right in to my kayak!!! No kidding. This 5 to 6 lb pike (not big by any means) jumped in to the kayak right between my feet!! He only sat there for about 10 seconds, then thrashed himself back in to the water. I thought the fight was back on and started heaving on my rod... But after a few seconds, I realized that my x-rap was hooked on my fishing pack, and the pike had swam away!!! Jesus, I laughed about that for a few minutes...

DSC_0581_zps4mx6okja.jpg

This particular river gets a lot of traffic. Its kind of a funny sorry, but I was fishing in the evening Saturday night, and a ran in to a camp with 27 kids in the middle of a 60km canoe trip through their summer camp. These kids where pretty cool, and we chatted for a bit. Some of the boys where across the bay fishing from a rock, and we heard them light up in cheers of excitement, so I paddled over to see what they caught! Turns out they had a school of catfish swim by. They landed 2, and smashed their heads with rocks. But they had no clue how to clean them. And they where going to toss one back as I was pulling up. These boys knew nothing about fishing, or cleaning fish. So they gave me one of the cat fish, and I gave them a good lesson on how to clean a fish, and sent them back to camp with a pile of cat fish fillets. They where really keen to learn how to clean fish, and where very appreciative of the lesson!

DSC_0599_zpsbkicrkat.jpg

They let me snap a quick pic of them in their new favorite fishing spot!

DSC_0600_zps7eognz3s.jpg

DSC_0606_zpsv5j4bkj3.jpg

DSC_0609_zpsnqfbivo4.jpg

The view from my tent saturday night

DSC_0615_zpsltjxlyv4.jpg

Sunday morning I woke up with the son, and did some top water fishing. Caught a few bass and pike. Snapped a few pics ..

DSC_0617_zps7inhy0mf.jpg

DSC_0619_zpsvuzeayy1.jpg

DSC_0620_zpsq6igtzxj.jpg

DSC_0621_zpsz0lz9e3g.jpg

DSC_0622_zpsh8jwd4ue.jpg

Top water pike and bass are fun!

DSC_0623_zps4duyydbq.jpg

Old cribs. I have no idea what they where used for back in the day?

DSC_0626_zps4l7a0v3j.jpg

DSC_0628_zpsc8coct2f.jpg

DSC_0629_zpsguk8zzuu.jpg

DSC_0630_zpsxj4ol9t3.jpg

First bit of civilzation on my trip.

DSC_0636_zpsjupbznek.jpg

With the weather so nice, I decided to push a little further out in to G-Bay than I have before in the past. You know, as you push further west, you run in to more and more civilization. And you have to start sharing the water with some seriously big boats!! With seriously big wake!! You have to pay attention out there, that's for sure.

DSC_0640_zpsqswjdlx1.jpg

I love this guys boat.

DSC_0641_zpsudhg2j6v.jpg

DSC_0644_zpsejwrsbtb.jpg

DSC_0645_zpsy09q8bcf.jpg

DSC_0648_zpsd8oikdog.jpg

DSC_0649_zpsnrxuv8g5.jpg

DSC_0651_zpsqbuysffi.jpg

DSC_0656_zpssvczajmq.jpg

DSC_0665_zps4f0c32ur.jpg

DSC_0666_zpsjf7w2ncd.jpg

DSC_0669_zpsxfh5e8sy.jpg

DSC_0671_zpsij2rfd2j.jpg

Fried up the cat fish for lunch sunday Man it was good!

DSC_0674_zpsldukcpno.jpg

a pile of vultures on my way home.

DSC_0678_zpskay173m0.jpg

Anyways. I've rambled on long enough. Hope you enjoyed my little report and pics! My lens was dirty and I didn't realize it until a Saturday evenning, so some of the photos are fuzzy.. Wups.

Until next time.

Edited by N.A.W

Nice

I wish I had the get up and go to do stuff like that

These days to me a long portage is walking to the end of the drveway to get the mail. Lol

LOL Those were a skip, hop and back in. I could of done that with my toon Nick. LOL

GREAT report bud.

Nice

I wish I had the get up and go to do stuff like that

These days to me a long portage is walking to the end of the drveway to get the mail. Lol

You too Terry. It sucks this getting old bull poo. Guess what? Apparently it does not get any better. Now I know what that rye smile on the older guys when we would have a chin up contest in the middle of nightshift at the plant. Wait until you get my age. The Feds don't pay you every month for nuthin'. It's to alleviate the pain a bit.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You too Terry. It sucks this getting old bull poo. Guess what? Apparently it does not get any better. Now I know what that rye smile on the older guys when we would have a chin up contest in the middle of nightshift at the plant. Wait until you get my age. The Feds don't pay you every month for nuthin'. It's to alleviate the pain a bit.

i think you were born one month before me in the same year, so yeah I know ...lol i know

great pics ! man that looked like a great quick getaway, will need to come along next time. I'll make jerk chicken on the coleman oven as well.

I love solitude but always cool to one across paddlers from a tripping camp. also a few of those rapids I'd love to run in my play boat ;)

Thanks!

This was not the Moon River. I've done the Moon a few times, and I would have caught way more fish if it had been the Moon!!

I love the Moon, but I can't find any free parking spots!

There are so many back bays on the east side of G-Bay that fill up with cruizers. It's quite the site to see on Sunday morning, then they all pull anchor and head for port. It can get pretty choppy out there in a yak!!

Some ofmy very best times were when I did it solo, fishing, vacations. It's nice to share great times with loved ones and those you care deeply about but sometimes you just need to get away on your own and clear the noggin'.

Nick, how do you clean the Cats? Maybe you can share, I have seen a few different ways. Many won't eat Catfish and I don't know why. 25 years ago it was going for 10 bucks a pound in Fla. In the southern mid west that is the only fish they serve.

To be honest with you guys, I would rather camp / fish with my girlfriend Sam! She is becoming a hard-core angler, and lover of the outdoors. Its really great to see!

BUT.. Shes a healthcare worker. And anyone who is in or has a partner in the healthcare field knows what I am talking about. She works 2 weeks days, then 2 week nights. Every other weekend So 1 out of every 4 weekends, she is working 12 hour night shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I hate sitting at home alone all weekend, and tip toeing around the house while she sleeps during the day So I have re-kindled my love for solo outings! And they are great for the mind and soul.

As for the catfish. They are one my favourite fish to eat. I do them just like pickerel. Take one big fillet off each side. Skin comes off the same as a pickerel (Maybe easier). And I cook them the exact same way as pickerel in oil, breaded with egg/milk, the dusted in fishcrisp.

Edited by N.A.W

That's a cool trip.. some of those back bays where the big boats anchor have some huge gar in them...I work the same shifts as your girlfriend and it sucks sometimes.. the family has to alter their whole weekend when I'm on the 3 nights...

Looks like a great little trip! Scenery is beautiful and some nice catches. Wish more fish were so cooperative, just jump on in! Awesome that you took the time to pass on a little knowledge to the younger generation as well. Kudos