Can't buy an eye

captpierre

The son and I are doing OK with pike and walleye the past few weekends. We slow troll harnesses at 1/2mph or slower.

1/2 mph? How do you get the spinners to work going that slow? I find any slower than 1mph they dont work properly.

I generally run 1.2- 1.8 depending on how active they are. I can make them work as slow as .8 or so, but on turns they stop spinning. They will still hit with the blades not turning, but its not as edfective.

S.

1/2 mph? How do you get the spinners to work going that slow? I find any slower than 1mph they dont work properly.

I generally run 1.2- 1.8 depending on how active they are. I can make them work as slow as .8 or so, but on turns they stop spinning. They will still hit with the blades not turning, but its not as edfective.

S.

Seem to spin just fine, but the spinner is only 1/2 of the story with the harnesses we manufacture.

Thanks guys.

The other night I went out for my first walleye outing and managed to catch a small one at 25cm.

I was bottom bouncing a minnow. I'm still new at this technique and I was snagging a lot.

Edited by PUMP KNOWS

What's the easiest way to target walleye when fishing on shore and near a lock?

Can't say I've ever really been that successful with walleyes off dams. It's been years since I've done it. I've caught them with a few Rapalas (Original, Countdowns and Jointed in the fall) as well as soft plastic jigs + grubs and swimbaits. A few of the locals I've seen, use 3-way rigs with a live minnows on the hook and either pencil lead or a clump of split shot on the dropper.

Wouldn't mind trying it again this summer.

Yeah, a 3 way rig works good. I like using jigs if its not too snaggy. I like my white berkely power grubs....just lucky with them I guess. 3-4". Jighead size depends on current. You want to feel bottom, but not be anchored on it.

Husky jerks work good too.....or similar suspending jerk baits.

Thanks guys.

The other night I went out for my first walleye outing and managed to catch a small one at 25cm.

I was bottom bouncing a minnow. I'm still new at this technique and I was snagging a lot.

Try drop shotting if you're getting snagged a lot. Might be a bit challenging with a minnow though.

If you want to consistently catch walleyes.....down size. I use 4 lb test clear mono. I like Berkley Sensation.....it's a copolymer that is very strong. Do not use any snaps or swivels.....tie directly to your jig. Do not put plastic on the jig, just the head of a large nightcrawler. Any colour of jig is good as long as it's black. I also like marabou feathers on the jig. Use the lightest jig for the conditions. VMC makes some great jigs in 1/16 to 1/4 ounce.

I second what Dabluz is saying. Direct tie light line is the way to go.

I however prefer fluorocarbon but I may be splitting hairs at this point.

Try leeches too, they're more durable than worms and seem to work just as good, if not better.

If you want to consistently catch walleyes.....down size. I use 4 lb test clear mono. I like Berkley Sensation.....it's a copolymer that is very strong. Do not use any snaps or swivels.....tie directly to your jig. Do not put plastic on the jig, just the head of a large nightcrawler. Any colour of jig is good as long as it's black. I also like marabou feathers on the jig. Use the lightest jig for the conditions. VMC makes some great jigs in 1/16 to 1/4 ounce.

I've been using 3/8 oz hair with poor results lately.

Got some 1/4 oz. maybe a slower drop is preferred midseason.

Will try worm/leach. But I'll catch a pile of panfish for every eye.

Nuisance fish are just part of the package. I catch 4 rock bass to every pickerel in some drifts on our cottage lake. I'm not sure light line makes a difference. I use 12lb fluorocarbon leader on most of my jigging and live bait rods and 15 to 17lb Fluoro leader on my trolling rods depending on what I find on sale.

We sometimes stop at a dam or two on the way home after a day on the water. Those fish seem very pressured. Some night there can be 20+ guys fishing a small area. I think you get more bites downsizing if you're using live bait. Also find that throwing different stuff than everyone else helps. If they're super finicky, super light light line, small hook and small minnow works well. A few years ago we caught a lot on the little swimbait, but recently it's tough to get a bite on that bait. The fish get conditioned quick I think. One night there were 10 guys catching nothing and first cast twitching a musky depth raider caught a nice eye followed by another later.. go figure. It's fun to experiment to see what interests them most and what they bite. Often you'll get them to go from staring at your bait to eating it when you go super light line and small hook. I also found moving around will show your baits to new fish that haven't seen a million baits and you can pick up a few more.

As for buying eyes on pigeon, haven't fished it for eyes in awhile. Last time I did a day out there and we got one on the bucktail and a few on the grub pitching weedlines. Last eye I caught on the lake was a 6.9lb on a helidawg!

As far as I know, It is illegal to use artificial light to ATTRACT fish. IMO if you're shining a flashlight in the water BRIEFLY to check the depth or the action on your lure, then you're not using it to ATTRACT fish.

No, like Rick said.

If you know what you're looking for, you can see the walleye's eye reflect back with a headlight. It looks like a small, iridescent pearl.

New moon on Monday. Monday night would be a good chance for night shift eyes.