??? For the Machanic Garage owners???

misfish

I remember seeing a sign at a garage that warranty work can be done by SELECTED/APPROVED, indepentant garages, Same dealings if I went through a dealership?

IS THIS TRUE ?

PROS/CONS ?

Edited by Brian B

I only bought one NEW car in my life and When I had a problem with it I had to crawl under the car and circle where the oil leak was! what the hell wa that all about?

Sir, there is nothing wrong with it they say, well then why does my driveway had spots of oil?

It was a weak/porous spot in my rear end (leave it alone:)

But then I've only had 6 vehicles in 45 years of driving!

the dealers are rip off!!

Yes it is true. I serviced my then new 2011 Silverado a few times at the dealers. I didn't like paying over 100 bucks for an oil change. A garage closer to me, actually across the street from my wife's store that sais they were qualified to do warranty service and work by GM. They even communicate with GM if there is a warranty issue before proceeding, check that they get approval to proceed before doing the work. I checked with GM and they reluctantly said yes he was qualified and approved to do so, there is an apparent difference. I had both of them write that down and sign it. Warranty work and general service is different. Being able to change oil etc. and rotate tires is far different than working on the tranny for example.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It depends!!!

If you are getting work done by someone other than the dealer (this includes oil changes) make sure you have receipts and documentation. A friend here in YK had Subaru's for he and his wife. There is no dealer here in town so they had other shops do the work. Well both vehicles had expensive repairs needed under warranty and Subaru denied them since they didn't service the vehicle.

I have my Honda Pilot and it is now out of warranty but I needed to replace a cracked rad under warranty. I called them up, told them about the issue, sent them pics of the area where it was leaking. They sent me a replacement and said I can get it fixed by the shop of my choice. I told them I was my shop of choice and was it OK to do the repairs myself. They said no problem.

Moral of the story, contact the manufacturer and ask some questions.

Take down the info of the person you talked to and the date of the conversation.

Better yet confirm with an email and then print it out and put it in your vehicle file. ;)

Be very careful with this. Drifter lives up in NWT. Not a big dealer network. In Barrie, you can bet that the dealers like Georgian et al will be quite incensed to have independant shops do warranty work as it is one of their biggest money makers. Oil changes and routine maintenance can be done by anyone AS LONG as the parts used are OEM or warranty approved parts. Keep all receipts for any work done.

Be very careful with this. Drifter lives up in NWT. Not a big dealer network. In Barrie, you can bet that the dealers like Georgian et al will be quite incensed to have independant shops do warranty work as it is one of their biggest money makers. Oil changes and routine maintenance can be done by anyone AS LONG as the parts used are OEM or warranty approved parts. Keep all receipts for any work done.

You are correct, that is why I had my guy contact GM to clean and adjust the rear drums under warranty and get in in writing. They did approve the work in writing. For something larger I bet they (GM) would want to do it, yes. I guess the GM dealer charges GM for the warranty work done. Actually come to think of it that is stated right in the warranty paper work unless they authorize another shop to do so. For regular service maintenance like fluids not all private garages are qualified to do that work, receipt or not. Similar to some roofers not authorized to install some brands of shingles unless authorized to do so, like the homeowner, if not you don't have a warranty. It was a 2 to 3 hour wait at the dealers to change oil and filter and rotate the tires, over 100 bucks, ridiculous. It's not much less at my guys but I don't have to drive 2 hours return and wait for another couple of hours. Nice clean waiting room though and free Lattes.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

GM, like the other manufacturers make most of their money on service and parts.. a little too rich for my budget so I do my own oil changes. With the new standard of oil required it costs us $80+ for an oil change.. $43 to do it myself and I can afford to let the old oil drain for 15 minutes instead of putting the plug back in as soon as the flow slows down.. I don't have a concern about the warranty as long as I use the right oil and filter..

If the work being done is customer pay; then any licensed garage or the vehicle's owner can do the work. We must use S.A.E. approved materials and oils that are approved by the manufacturer; like GM's 5W30 Dexos or an oil that has been approved by GM as a substitute for Dexos. Pennzoil has bough out a synthetic blend that GM begrudgingly has put their rubber stamp on. A number of years ago there was a large suit brought out by the after market parts suppliers, against the auto manufacturers. People were being denied warrantee, because they had things like a Wix or Fram oil filters on their vehicle. The courts agreed with the after market people, after it was proven that their filters were as good if not better then what the factory were installing.

Long story short, the only time you must go to a dealer, is if you're not paying for anything. The manufacturer legally cannot use the threat of voiding warrantee on maintenance items; when/if the work and material is not supplied by them. Drifter's deal is different, there are no dealers in his area; that would be handled on a case per case situation.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Forgot to add; why do you think so many dealerships are now giving away 1,2 or 3 years worth of FREE oil changes.

It's to draw you back into their shop and a chance to hit you up for all their other recommended maintenance items; that you are going to pay through the nose for.

OR a free tire rotation; they don't give a crap about your tires wearing evenly; they want to have a look at the brakes.

Dan.

If the work being done is customer pay; then any licensed garage or the vehicle's owner can do the work. We must use S.A.E. approved materials and oils that are approved by the manufacturer; like GM's 5W30 Dexos or an oil that has been approved by GM as a substitute for Dexos. Pennzoil has bough out a synthetic blend that GM begrudgingly has put their rubber stamp on. A number of years ago there was a large suit brought out by the after market parts suppliers, against the auto manufacturers. People were being denied warrantee, because they had things like a Wix or Fram oil filters on their vehicle. The courts agreed with the after market people, after it was proven that their filters were as good if not better then what the factory were installing.

Long story short, the only time you must go to a dealer, is if you're not paying for anything. The manufacturer legally cannot use the threat of voiding warrantee on maintenance items; when/if the work and material is not supplied by them. Drifter's deal is different, there are no dealers in his area; that would be handled on a case per case situation.

Dan.

What Dan says...

Forgot to add; why do you think so many dealerships are now giving away 1,2 or 3 years worth of FREE oil changes.

It's to draw you back into their shop and a chance to hit you up for all their other recommended maintenance items; that you are going to pay through the nose for.

OR a free tire rotation; they don't give a crap about your tires wearing evenly; they want to have a look at the brakes.

Dan.

Yep, but in fairness Dan, all shops including mine do a multi-point vehicle inspection with oil change or tire change. We do an honest inspection with written report that the customer is involved in and is offered as a service. Written quote for all repairs needed and the customer has the option of getting a second opinion.

We see vehicles in here DAILY with no brakes, leaking shocks and struts, bald tires, rotten brake and power steering lines just to name a few issues.....

A prime example of the need to ditch e-tests and replacing it with a safety inspection every two years.

I agree 100% with you and that's what we do here as well; tell them what we find and then stand back and let them ask the questions and make up their mind; as to what they want doing. But I have seen it over and over again; that a customer is all but bullied into a repair by (some) dealership's advisers, trying to hit their sales quota or if they're on commission.

Dan.

I like that the shops look beyond the scope of an oil change or tire rotation. Many households have no idea what is going bad or wearing out on their car without that help. As Dan D and John said they give them a list, answer their questions and do the work they approve is a good honest way to run a shop good on Both of you.

Art

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I will let them LOOK at it Friday. If I hear that it is the rotor, (I,ll be pissed if it is and not covered) I will have my garage do the repairs and put on beefier ones. Im sure the ones they put on theses days are not the greatest. IMO. 23,000 KM AND THEY ARE WARPPED? It might be something else that is covered and it will be no charge to me.

Im just amazed how little warranty really means. Dont get me wrong, love the truck.

Edited by Brian B

For some reason anything to do with brakes always throws up a red flag to warranty coverage. If it is warped rotors, good luck at the dealership.

I was already told if it was, I would have to pay. If it is like said, they wont be doing the work.

At 23K I would be asking them why they are not machining them under warrantee? Unless the rotors are blued from "aggressive" braking; I would have them machined. Yes they'll warp again being thinner; but you'll at least get full use of the brake pads life. By the time you hit 50K the pads and rotors will need replacing anyways.

Dan.

Can anyone tell me WHY, my BACK rotors would be warped?

After inspection, I was told they where slightly warped,but, everything was free moving. They quoted me $300 tax in, to re do the backs and clean/lube everything front and back , calipur slides lubed as well. I paused,said call you right back. Called my guy and he would do the same for $250. For $50 bucks and having to go get the truck, bring it to him, lose 2 hours pay, I had them do the work. I couldnt get an answer as to why this happen. The pads still had 8mm of material on them.I find it very strange, as the rears are secondary braking. RIGHT? First time having rotor on the back of a truck for me. Always had drums. I also have brake assit on this truck. On a incline, you push the brake pedal all the way down. The brakes will hold for a few seconds til I excelerate. Cool thing to have if you have a trailer behind ya.

Anyways. It,s been done and thanks for all the replies guys.

The shimming is gone when braking. I took a ride on the hwy and the brakes were norm.

Edited by Brian B

Brian

Braking is generally 60% front 40% rear.

Doesn't take much to warp a rotor.

Come off the highway and brake to stop at a light but hit a puddle while braking and poof instantly warped rotor.

It can happen any time when braking. If you had a temp probe on your rotors you would be amazed how hot they get, even under light braking.