Thinking about buying a new boat.

pike slayer

I would keep looking.

I was looking at a legend or a smoker craft, simply because of the price. If you shop around you can find great deals on used boats.

I just picked up a completely restored 1991 16ft spectrum with a 2009 50hp merc for a lot less than what you listed, you get a lot more boat.

I see everyone is saying go with the max power but I feel a 25hp 4stroke would haul across the lake with that boat pretty good. My old 25hp johnson does fine and my boat is a heavy old boat. I can't see a live well slowly me down to a crawl. I fish inland lakes I wouldn't be on the great Lakes or simcoe.

Most of the research recommends that the best combination of price and power is at 75% of maximum rating. Will this boat get you fishing? Yes, so long as you stay on small lakes and never have to worry about beating out a weather front. Will you be happy, with that motor a year form now? Probably not, and upgrading later is waaaay more expensive then what you can negotiate when you purchase. Lots of good hulls to choose from out there. I personally am a Starcraft fan. But Starcraft, Smokercraft and Sylvan are all owned by the same company. And those in the know say that Smokercraft makes some Legend hulls. I've never owned one, but the two or three folks I know that do , they like 'em. Its just that power issue,

Personally, I'd upgrade the motor to at least a 40, if not a 50,and compare to the used market,

And don't settle for what they advertise or offer. Ask for what you want at the price you are wiling to pay (within reason)., It may take several dealers, but patience has its own rewards. The deal I ended up shaking on was turned down by four dealers in a row,

Whatever you decide, good luck, and share your new toy when she comes home

balsam lake

i had to put a 25 hp motor on my boat because I blew the 50 horse the weekend before walleye opening

that weekend the wind came up and we had to get back to the ramp

into the wind it would not stay up on plane because it was under powered trying to push into the waves the boat was plowing and water was coming over the front so we had to slow down, the waves, wind and current were going faster then we were going

we were losing ground we were taking on water in the end we had to turn around and go with the waves i tried to make it to the river but in the end i had to just beach it and hitch hick back to the truck

the problem was an under powered motor , most good dealers will tell you to buy close to max hp, safer and a lot less hard on the motor too

Buy something like the one below and you'll be very happy with it, fully rigged will do like 30-32mph good on gas. You won't have to run it all the time at WOT to get somewhere. Can haul you and 2 buddys with gear no problem. Time you start putting battery's, trolling motors, full tank of fuel, anchors ropes etc etc.You'll spend most of your fishing time crawling to your spot with that under powered boat.

( I don't know the guy Selling the boat just using it for an example)

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/kawartha-lakes/2011-smokercraft-pro-angler-161-w-50hp-efi-merc/v?adId=1142503593&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1456362520261

Edited by Bondar

I agree with both of you. I always thought if you had enough speed(power) you could outrun a storm. Nope. Running atop meter high or more waves at 40MPH isn't safe to me. I couldn't do it. I could feel the boat getting away from me side to side. You ride the wave like a duck does I have since learned. I just like the stability of a heavier deep V Star Craft that I have.

In the other hand not being able to get on plane is a batch too. In calmer water with wind it can be dangerous as going into a wind with a light boat bow high is just as hairy. Listening and feeling every wave that feels like it is coming over the bow or through the hull sucks too, worse actually.

It looks like the OP wants a underpowered cheaply made boat based on his last post, Legends are cheaply made boats. So be it, his coin, his choice. I don't know why he asked for opinions.

Good luck Worm Dangler.

OP, if you want to buy an underpowered boat, by all means don't listen to the bulk of advice to the contrary that you've been given. It's your cash, and we all need to make our own way in the world, we are all grown ups here ( presumably). If you feel you'll be happy with that rig, then go for it. However it's been pointed out that you can have something a bit better at a price your willing to pay by buying a boat that's a few years old.

The fact is I'm not made of money. I'd love to go out and buy some massive bass boat with 300hp. What all of you guys are talking about is spending $20,000plus. I'd love to but I cant. I just want something reliable with a warranty and I fish small lakes.

Ive had a 12' tinned with a 9.9hp for years. I've got stuck in bad storms and I found driving slow with the waves was the way to go. There was one time I got stuck on an island cause I was camping on it.

Check the weather before you go, plan your trip, and boat safely.

The fact is I'm not made of money. I'd love to go out and buy some massive bass boat with 300hp. What all of you guys are talking about is spending $20,000plus. I'd love to but I cant. I just want something reliable with a warranty and I fish small lakes.

Ive had a 12' tinned with a 9.9hp for years. I've got stuck in bad storms and I found driving slow with the waves was the way to go. There was one time I got stuck on an island cause I was camping on it.

Check the weather before you go, plan your trip, and boat safely.

Just a thought: If you buy new you are going to loose probably 20% the minute you sign the papers. We are looking at motor homes and originally thought new would be the way to go. Several people suggested that we would save so much by buying used that if it was necessary to do any repairs we would still be way ahead to have bought used.

After doing a lot of research we found that boy were they right and that if you shop wisely and get things checked out by a good mechanic that you get a lot more bang for your buck by going used.

Example: I paid over $22,000.00 for my boat + taxes in 2009, it is like new (less than 200 hours on it) always stored inside, but if I was to sell it today I would probably take a 5 to 7K loss on it simply because it is 7 years old.

The floor, steering, live well etc add a lot of weight to the boat, and a 4 stroke doesn't run like a 2 stroke.

You will not be happy with the power, even my 60 has trouble loaded and into the wind.

I know the type of stuff you fish and thats not the rig you want

With the dollar as low as it is, buying in Ontario is your best option. Good used boats are a little tougher to find at a great price as a result but buying used is likely still the best route.

This "safety" debate is kind of silly. Both sides re correct.

However, always buy a boat at or at least at 75% of the max rating. This is a no brainer. You will enjoy using the boat AND good luck selling it if u don't.