spud bar / ice spike

GBW

usually any metal fabrication shop can make them for you, theres a metal supply shop here in Whitby that will custom cut and weld for you. i had a set of gimbal mounts made for my dad there for under $60 out of material a lot heavier and stronger than you find in store.

Name is Metals Plus. http://www.metalsplus.ca/services.html

Edited by FloatnFly

You can use a piece of 1" rebar. Just grind a chisel tip on one end.

I have one that has a piece of 1/4" plate welded on the end for the chisel.

That was my other thought Dave so I can head out in a few days and still be safe. I bet it punches through faster than a wide tip bar, right? And weight being lower too is handy I'd bet... Thoughts to that?

Oh I was going to do that Dave (strap) no matter and use some double layer laced materials or a leather strap. Thanks all! For the short term till I get a new one Dave has the answer so I can get out ASAP. Look out goggles and grinder here I come! Too bad I gave away the T bar's I had as they would have been easy to grind to a nice T point and been about the same weight... Oh well... Thanks all and BB-F keep me in mind next round of "production" me brudder!!

My local will get the order in 2020 if I'm lucky... But tks!

I know you are probably joking...but... I have dealt with the HH in Bobcaygeon for many things, most recently an outdoor wood burning stove. Called them on a Monday from my home here in Oshawa after finding the item on their website. They had NONE in store...but said they would get it for me. They had it waiting for me in there store, fully assembled, at no extra cost... when I came up the following weekend. Not all stores or people are created equal. If your serious give the caygeon store a call. My experience is they will go that extra mile to help you out.

A 1" bar is going to be seriously heavy. 3/4" is all you need. Any Mom and Pop welding shop will make you a bar and chisel together cheaply. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 50 bucks to weld a bar to a 3" by 5" chisel if you supply the material. To give you an idea for weight it's simple a cubic inch of steel weighs .920 pounds. on average.

Ok Mr. Ironmaker - How due I calculate the volume of a round piece of steel? Will I need to remove my shoes & sox!! LOL!

how do you find the volume of a cylinder, its 5th grade math come back to haunt you!

V=πr2h
Edited by FloatnFly

Wormdunker, pi R squared. Grade 4 math. I used to know the exact formula to guestimate the weight of steel rod and bar.

edit: Ooops I missed Floatnfly's post. That would be it.

forgot height :)

then you just have to remember BEDMAS rules for multiplying it out (Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction)

I'm surprised to see HH sell spuds with rebar handles. Rebar has a high carbon content making it quite tricky to get a good weld. Not to say you couldn't make 1 at home like Drifter did and get it to work, but it would prob be a hit or miss proposition.

Wormdunker, pi R squared.

Really? Usually pies are round!! :wacko:

Edited by SirCranksaLot

Having something wrapped around my wrist, that'll help me get to the bottom faster; doesn't really appeal too me? LOL

Too bad you're not closer, I'd weld one up for you; if you brought the material.

GBW you up for a road trip to London?

Dan.