canadian tire roadside assistance

huzzsaba

I have been a loyal member of CAA but I'm getting a amazing deal (50% cheaper than CAA) with Canadian tire roadside assistance for almost the same amount of services. I usually take the premier membership with CAA which includes 350kms for one of the 5 tows which is the only extra benefit I see at this point with CAA as compared to Canadian tire's Gold Package. I understand I probably won't get coverage in the US with Canadian Tire, but I usually rent a car anyways when going south of the border.

The deciding factor I guess is finding out if their service is good? I have never had problems with CAA and hoping I can get equally good reviews for Canadian Tire.

Thanks

Almost 38 legal years on the road.. the only time I ever ran out of gas I was 15 years old and out on tour with a buddy in our second car and had to walk home and wait for my dad to come home from bowling, then drive me to Perth for a can of gas.. back to the car in SF and then home. I drove...

How much do you guys spend a year for CAA, in anticipation of a single $300 tow in your lifetime? I've never been towed, never had a flat that didn't make it home and only ran out of gas twice in my life.. once as noted above and 2nd time within 2000 feet of a gas station and I made it in neutral.

Edited by irishfield

Almost 38 legal years on the road.. the only time I ever ran out of gas I was 15 years old and out on tour with a buddy in our second car and had to walk home and wait for my dad to come home from bowling, then drive me to Perth for a can of gas.. back to the car in SF and then home. I drove...

How much do you guys spend a year for CAA, in anticipation of a single $300 tow in your lifetime? I've never been towed, never had a flat that didn't make it home and only ran out of gas twice in my life.. once as noted above and 2nd time within 2000 feet of a gas station and I made it in neutral.

You have a point. I guess it's kind of like insurance. I have been towed a few times in the last 8 years of having CAA but have used it multiple times to help out friends and family. So far, I feel it is worth it. I once broke down in Ottawa and the closest place I could have gotten it towed was my dad's place in Montreal. Didnt cost me anything for a 200k tow. I am paying $150 approx with CAA per year.

Canadian Tire Roadside assistance is $100 and they have a promotion with Options card that will knock off 30% of that. Well worth it compared to $150+. Just need to see if their service is good.

CT here used it a few times for towing with great service, Black ice slid into another vehicle towed 45 minutes back home to a local body shop & got a ride home in the tow truck, Transmission line blew an hour away from home was towed back to local garage at home & a pull out of the ditch last year no problems, $99.00 & a second vehicle for $69.00 both gold coverage.

Tight Lines SBK :good:

Also get a few coupon one a free oil change & a couple other deals

Edited by spinnerbaitking

Tim Hortons was Canadian once too, but it is south of the boarder now. Wonder what a TIMBIT is down there? LOL

Never tried their sweet stuff lol. I usually go to Dunkin Donuts in the states since my friends are pro starbucks ( I'm not a fan) and we settle on the Dunkin Donuts in the end. One time I asked for steeped tea at timmies in Detroit and they kept asking me if I wanted sweet tea. I gave up in the end thinking they may not have that on the menu and asked them for hot water and tea bag. My american friends actually liked it lol :D .

Edited by huzzsaba

Around here the "tow guys" service CTC, CAA and my GM tow/service plus others. I had a CAA truck come when I had a flat on my new then Silverado through GM. I never had need of CAA until my wife started driving a 1 hour commute on dark desolate country roads. I wasn't going to do a 2 hour round trip to give her a boost or move the steering wheel to enable the car to start. I didn't care how much a year it was and it was only $100.00 for CAA. The new truck came with roadside assist and I have used them 3 times. 2 tires and a mysterious incident of lack of fuel. Good insurance to have. Getting the spare down in the truck is ridiculous, especially if the bolt isn't clean and exercised. No way a non mechanical individual with change a tire on that truck if never done before. I always wondered what that black tab on the bumper was for. I would love to see a 140 pound middle age person man or woman do it solo in a snowstorm, me included at 200lbs with this beat up body, no way. Get the insurance, a no brainer.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I got to use my dads CAA gold plan today. :(

Had the timing belt idler pulley fail.

​The timing belt and all associated parts were replaced 28 months ago.

Warranty ran out 4 months ago. <_<

Looking @ a $4,800 repair bill. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Merry friggin' Christmas!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

We get better coverage through our TD Gold Visa and it's free. And it has been a life saver a few times over the years. Have locked my keys in the car twice. Phone the number and keep fishing until the dude shows up to unlock it for you.

Have had my old VW Golf have the diesel gel up on my twice so the car wouldn't run when I returned to it from a day out on the ice fishing. Phone the dude and get a tow back to civilization. Blew a rad hose once...phone the dude.

Debbe drives to Sudbury a few times a year without me to visit family. Having that little card with the dudes phone number on it is pretty cheap/free peace of mind.

I got to use my dads CAA gold plan today. :(

Had the timing belt idler pulley fail.

​The timing belt and all associated parts were replaced 28 months ago.

Warranty ran out 4 months ago. <_<

Looking @ a $4,800 repair bill. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Merry friggin' Christmas!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

ouch!

Having a new engine installed can't be much more than that, is that an option?

Sorry Oldironmaker, if you can call CAA then you can call a tow truck just as easy. Have a Wife, 32 kids and we've all driven a LOT of miles. One tow when the son spun my Tbird out when he was 17. $320 tow from Craighurst into Barrie, that became the insurance companies bill anyhow. No point in being double insured as you don't need CAA for an accident.

Edited by irishfield

Your right sir towing is included on my policy, for a premium but it is cheap. The CAA is around $100.00 for my wife. I have it on my Silverado until 180,000 K. so she is the only one on it. It has paid for itself since she has had it in the last 5or 6 years. Hopefully we won't use it again. It really gives me peace of mind and for me it's worth it. We are rural and have deadly lake effect storms here. In the past I had to depend on friends with 4X4's, backhoes, tractors as these ditches seem to be magnetized and because of the feeder creeks to the lake most are deep, very deep.. More than once a 4X4 wouldn't get the job done. I didn't have a 4X4 before she got CAA so it was 300 a pop to get her out (we call her a ditch magnet) so I would flip friends or locals with 8N's or a back hoe a few bucks to help them then I owed them a favour. I'm calculating in my head and I am ahead in $$ with CAA. Just this year we called twice for mechanical issues and she used it once for a friend, that's over $1000.00 alone for a little over 100 bucks. Can't get much for 100 beans today. And I'm thankful she has never hurt herself or anyone else. The OPP pulled her out once and a construction crew once. If it was me they would have found the body in the spring.

Ct only covers YOUR vehicle CAA covers YOU.....or anyone with you. I have used caa many times to help others. I like the peice of mind having it and get a discount by having them for my home/auto insurance. Ive always got my monies worth.

S.

i am always pulling a trailer either my boat or my sled trailer,and have the top of the line CAA coverage if my truck breaks down or my trailer does i get a tow plus my trailer does too.....thats worth the $160 a year no issues whatsoever.....

Yip, ive also had friends call me from the side of the road asking for a hand with a blown trailer bearing....no problem, let me call my caa........its really handy, especially in the winter!!

S.

I work out of town with a 100k commute( one way )everyday. I got a CAA Gold membership and have had to use it a couple times to have my vehicle towed quite a distance back to my mechanic in Hamilton.

Not to mention calling them when I locked my keys in in my car last winter( duhhh ).

I'm a fan.

I carry a new spare hub & bearings in my truck for that reason along with the appropriate tools.

So do it, but doing it on the side of the road at -20 in a blizzard sucks! Ask me how I know. Much nicer to sit in the warm truck and call CAA to put the trailer on a flatbed and take it to a heated shop to replace the hub....

S.