canadian tire roadside assistance

huzzsaba

My friend called CAA when she had a car stuck in her driveway. They came from about 30 miles away and refused to pull the car out because the driveway wasn't plowed and the driveway can't get plowed till the car is gone. So I used those steel grates you get at CT and drove it out 3' at a time. Thought it odd that they would go that far and not do the job.

Many years ago I pulled an old fella out of a snowbank, I refused any payment and a good thing I did, cop that was there was just waiting to charge me for pulling him out.

So do it, but doing it on the side of the road at -20 in a blizzard sucks! Ask me how I know. Much nicer to sit in the warm truck and call CAA to put the trailer on a flatbed and take it to a heated shop to replace the hub....

S.

your damn right ....... try that in mattawa 15 miles in on a logging road in -20 not gonna happen.....worth the money in a second

Many years ago I pulled an old fella out of a snowbank, I refused any payment and a good thing I did, cop that was there was just waiting to charge me for pulling him out.

Charge you with what?? I've helped a lot of people out of the ditch over the years. I didn't know it was an offence.

S.

From what he told me if I was paid it would be towing without a license.

I'm not sure if it is legal to pull someone out of a snowbank, it denies the cops a chance to lay charges and if the guys drunk you might get in trouble.

Sounds like a real nice guy, that cop.

What a dick!

S.

ive been towed so many times its embarrassing lol always got insane value out of my CAA membership

Especially when they towed me from PAB back to Toronto after I had a flat on a long weekend.

Embarassing is calling a tow truck for a flat hahaha

ive been towed so many times its embarrassing

I've been driving for 54 years and have been towed exactly one time when I blew the alternator on a car.

Just curious what the heck your doing to be towed so often ??

Embarassing is calling a tow truck for a flat hahaha

guess i didnt explain myself well....driving my Mazda speed protege which was dumped 3 inches on coilovers and riding on 18's with 205/35/18 tires...didnt think i was getting a replacement tire in that size up in parry sound especially on a long weekend. riding a donut all the way back to toronto was not in question.

that happened one time

the next my transmission blew up

and finally my coilpacks completely fouled.

All part of the game when you modify cars lol things go wrong more often then not lol

Now im driving a new stock jetta and lifes much easier ahhahaa

Edited by AKRISONER

guess i didnt explain myself well....driving my Mazda speed protege which was dumped 3 inches on coilovers and riding on 18's with 205/35/18 tires...didnt think i was getting a replacement tire in that size up in parry sound especially on a long weekend. riding a donut all the way back to toronto was not in question.

that happened one time

the next my transmission blew up

and finally my coilpacks completely fouled.

All part of the game when you modify cars lol things go wrong more often then not lol

Now im driving a new stock jetta and lifes much easier ahhaha

mazda protege are nice cars, however the bodies rust too quick. I was always a fan of the protege5 hatchback. great handling car and pretty quick. My bro had one for a bit. We are both Volvo guys now :good:

mazda protege are nice cars, however the bodies rust too quick. I was always a fan of the protege5 hatchback. great handling car and pretty quick. My bro had one for a bit. We are both Volvo guys now :good:

good old slotege

I was super into cars at one point, they definitely handle amazingly, especially if you throw a good suspension in them they are nimble as hell. My car was about 2000lbs with 185 HP a exedy stage 3 clutch and fidanza lightweight flywheel in its prime, it had a pretty good top end, slow off the line though with the front wheel drive, i used to be able to burn out in second lol and chrip the tires going into 3rd.

Edited by AKRISONER

Wormdunker I'm not the one in the ditch, that would be the blond that lets me stay here. But I will never be as lucky as Wayne and his family only needed 1 tow after all those miles. I have never been in a ditch. well almost never.

Towing without a proper licence? Never, ever heard of that one. There has been more than a few times I have put a towbar on and pulled a car, truck and even a tractor behind me. All with temporary lighting that I have. I need to ask a fellow golfer that is in the local OPP detachment patrolling our highways and byways. If pulling someone out of a ditch is illegal it's a new one on me and ridiculous. When a construction crew pulled you know who out of a ditch last winter it was the OPP that had his lights on for any traffic while they did it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If you take payment for towing whatever out of the ditch or down the road; then it's illegal. When a towing company is called out to retrieve a vehicle from a ditch; they must notify the police. The ditch is still part of the hwy and the hwy traffic act applies and charges can (most times not) be laid for things like careless, care and control, impaired; whatever the cop deems fit for that situation that got you in the ditch. I wouldn't want to be the good Samaritan with a tow chain hooked to someone's car and then when the cops show up they find that the driver is impaired or the car is stolen. Not sure what they could charge you with; but you'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do. That being said, on a deserted road, I'd be one of the first to try and help someone out of the ditch; but on a well traveled hwy; the most I'll do is offer them a warm seat in my vehicle; while I call a tow truck.

Dan.

That is logical Dan. A great explanation, that I get. There are more than a few guys out here that will drive around during big storms like Lake effects with straps and chains that will give you a pull and accept tips. They make some pretty good $$ at 30 to 50 bucks a pop, or more for city dwellers in little 2 door Hondas etc. with All Seasons on. I know a guy that does it with his backhoe but insists the owner hook up the straps. One can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. Nothing like hooking to a sway bar or the like to get a nice bill at the garage.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was actually wandering around CTC yesterday and looked at some tow straps that I could maybe use if a friend or neighbor slid off a snowy country road and needed a pull out.

They had a couple 20 footers with hooks but they were only good for about 3300 pounds. Another I saw was 30' and good for something like 6000 lb. but was looped on either end and I figure I'd need more hardware to attach them and ended up not getting anything.

I know a guy that does it with his backhoe but insists the owner hook up the straps. One can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. Nothing like hooking to a sway bar or the like to get a nice bill at the garage.

You can't always trust tow truck drivers to hook up properly either. Had to have my 50 Chevy towed due to the 6 volt generator going for a crap. You do don't go far with a 6 volt battery, not being charged. Driver backs the flat bed up to the car, grabs the winch cable and J hooks and hooks to the car. I take a look and he has the J hooks, hooked to the steering tie rods. I tell him what he's done and he gets all pissed off, say he's been towing for 20 years and knows what he's doing. I tell him I've been a mechanic for 35 years and he's not winching my car using the tie rods. He sheepishly has a look and changes his hook points and didn't say another word too me on the trip back to London from Turkey Point. LOL

Lew

Princess Auto

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-in-x-20-ft-10-000-lb-tow-strap/A-p8402232e

Dan.

Dan I hear you. Some Insurance guy comes out here from the city to peruse the new to us property to give me a quote from Hamilton. He doesn't pull into the empty driveway he pulls onto the grass onto the other side of the laneway. The little 2 door front wheel drive sinks into the mud up to the wheel hubs. Time to leave and he as stuck as one can get. He says if you give me a push I can get out, never going to happen. He doesn't have CAA etc and neither do I. He uses my phone book to call for a tow. We are new here and have no clue whom to recommend. He calls a garage in Fisherville and 2 kids in an old pickup shows up. You know the 1/2 ton with mismatched fenders and door with the MT beer bottles and cans in the box, that mechanic. His call. They hook him up after they dig the mud out by hand to get a bite on the rear axle and he hands them some cash. He pulls away and is back 5 minutes later. Theybasically pulled the rear axle entirely off the passengers side. I was really feeling for the guy until he starts beaking off to me because I didn't tell him not to park there. Now I want to slap him. But he wants to know who he called and from where? And now he needs to use our phone, he's flipping on me again because he can't get cell service, and that's my fault, how? My wife took mercy on him and invited him in to use the phone and looks to see what fly by night garage he called. When he was leaving I said he could stick his insurance quote elsewhere. Come on man!

That is logical Dan. A great explanation, that I get. There are more than a few guys out here that will drive around during big storms like Lake effects with straps and chains that will give you a pull and accept tips. They make some pretty good $$ at 30 to 50 bucks a pop, or more for city dwellers in little 2 door Hondas etc. with All Seasons on. I know a guy that does it with his backhoe but insists the owner hook up the straps. One can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. Nothing like hooking to a sway bar or the like to get a nice bill at the garage.

I can understand charges when someone is going looking for tow jobs to earn some cash; but I don't think accepting an offer of cash from someone you happened upon is not quite the same.

I often accept gas money from people that I take out in my boat. That is not the same as operating a charter service. I offered to help pay for gas when I car pooled for a drive up to Simcoe last winter. If he had accepted, that would not be the same as him operating an illegal taxi service.

I can understand charges if someone refused to pull him out unless he paid. But, I think that accepting a voluntary token payment in appreciation for a favour is a whole lot different than operating and an unlicensed towing business.

Edited by JohnBacon