New career...driving route advice! - NF

ccmtcanada

As some of you know, I was in the retail industry for over 20 years. Last year my job was eliminated and I decided to take some time off to spend time with my daughter and work on projects around the house. Well...the time has come for me to get back to work!

I start my new job in the IT industry tomorrow. I no longer have to drive to downtown Toronto as I did before. The offices are at Steeles and the 404.

My question is this. I live in Whitby and am wondering if anyone else in this area commutes to Steeles and the 404 area daily? Is it fastest to still take the 401 to the 404 and head north? I'm not interested in taking the 407....so what about going north and taking 7 across? Or maybe take Taunton (which turns into Steeles) and head that way?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks for all the input guys!!

I've often thought...why don't drivers unite and tailgate each other as you pass the cameras? That way only the last guy gets charged. Lol

Maybe I will take the 401 in the morning and 407 home. I was paying $250 a month for parking downtown...no parking fees at the new job!

Congrats on the new job Cliff, hope it's everything you want.

Thanks Lew! After sending in resume after resume to companies and not hearing a single response, this job came on my radar. It truly is an amazing opportunity for me....combining my previous experience in a new field I've always been extremely interested in.

I used to work at lawerence and kennedy and its taken me 1 hour to get from steeles and 404 to 401 and kennedy. I would absolutely avoid this route home. Generally the farther north you can stay on the way home the better but i use better loosely lol. As for the way in i havent done it from the east very much so i have little insight, thats why i work out of our innisfil yard now.

If i had to start driving to scarlem again i would quit.

407 Cliff. When I was in Whitby working at Dell I would take the 407 to Warden on my way in (but get on the 407 much closer to Markham then where it starts) and reverse that home. Most of the time I got on the 407 just before 9th line and would take HWY 7 when not on the 407.

Edited by GBW

As an alternate on the way home check out 14 ave/Alden Rd and head east. It gets gradually better the further east of 404 you get. It'll get you far enough where you can get back onto Steeles. I have a number of customers in that area north of Steeles and it's generally my escape route out.