Mass shooting in California

npt1

I got a friend who has over 50 assault rifles with three of them 50 cal. with optics and way more than 20,000 rounds for them. It is a collection that would bring tears to your eyes from the mechanical art work and the rarity and stories behind them. It is something to look through the scope of the 50cal. sniper rifle and at 880 yards ( 1/2 mile) knowing it can hit a 6 inch gong if you are good enough. You will never convince me that a gun is evil it is the person behind it that makes the decision. I agree with all of the checks and tests to get a gun but if you qualify you should be able to get the gun you choose.

Art

So it takes 4 months before you can get a firearm - doesn't do the lady much good who is afraid of her ex-boyfriend does it - when he comes back a week later and kills her - its a God given right to be able to defend yourself and your family without having to go through the wringer to get a firearm - I can go over to Cabela's - pick out a firearm - rifle or handgun - go over to a computer and enter certain information - wait about a half hour and then pick up the gun and go home - that's the way I like it -

In Canada all it takes is the government to require all persons to turn in their guns and that's the end of your ability to defend yourself with a gun - or hunt - that can't happen here - I like my right to bear arms - a armed citizenry is a free citizenry - remember that -

Whatever you say, Joe. I'm sure glad we don't have your screwed up system here in Canada!! Keep it to yourselves, willya? Do the world a favour!

I got a friend who has over 50 assault rifles with three of them 50 cal. with optics and way more than 20,000 rounds for them. It is a collection that would bring tears to your eyes from the mechanical art work and the rarity and stories behind them. It is something to look through the scope of the 50cal. sniper rifle and at 880 yards ( 1/2 mile) knowing it can hit a 6 inch gong if you are good enough. You will never convince me that a gun is evil it is the person behind it that makes the decision. I agree with all of the checks and tests to get a gun but if you qualify you should be able to get the gun you choose.

Art

Thats awesome!

Ive had the priveledge of shooting some pretty awesome guns and it sure is a good time!

In Canada all it takes is the government to require all persons to turn in their guns and that's the end of your ability to defend yourself with a gun - or hunt - that can't happen here - I like my right to bear arms - a armed citizenry is a free citizenry - remember that -

Will never happen. We don't fear our government like some militias in the states do. We may hate their policies etc but in general, we don't worry about them turning on its citizens. Same with England, Australia etc.. ymmv

Thats awesome!

Ive had the priveledge of shooting some pretty awesome guns and it sure is a good time!

I am very lucky to live where i do we have some really great places around here to see examples of mechanical engineering. Just 15 miles from my house is the museum of flight with the actual space shuttle and other technology for you to see and touch. I have over the years collected places/friends with machine shops from custom motorcycles to a shop (one of three) certified in submarine repair welding and f15 landing gear sleeves. To some the sight of a 3 inch x 30 inch sleeve of metal is not impressive until you find out it is less than a thousandth of an inch tolerance. A painting is nice but precision is a real work of art to me.

Art

So it takes 4 months before you can get a firearm - doesn't do the lady much good who is afraid of her ex-boyfriend does it - when he comes back a week later and kills her - its a God given right to be able to defend yourself and your family without having to go through the wringer to get a firearm - I can go over to Cabela's - pick out a firearm - rifle or handgun - go over to a computer and enter certain information - wait about a half hour and then pick up the gun and go home - that's the way I like it -

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Hmmm...must be something in the water down south. :whistling:

In Gun we trust. May God bless the NRA.

There has been 355 mass shootings in the U.S.A so far this year. Team gun culture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

Better then trusting governance.

How many issues has that caused?

Not near as many mass shootings in Canada. Mostly of aboriginal people in first couple hundred years.

In last 100 years maybe a couple of dozen times in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Canada

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Hmmm...must be something in the water down south. :whistling:

While simplistic it is a true statement. The first thing you have to deal with is the bad guys have guns and will not be the ones turning them in if they become illegal. Pandoras box is open you can not close the lid so what works for Canada will never work in the USA. Personally i am glad Canada does not have access to handguns or assault rifles your culture would become more violent and mirror the path our culture has taken. You meaning most people of Canadian culture will not understand the dynamics going on down here. I am good with that it is one of the things I like about Up North people who still have the ability to have hope for a gentler world to live in. Funny thing is if you read Pandoras box once the evil was released inside the box was a small nugget left behind and it was called Hope. I think that nugget can be called Canada too.

Art

There has been 355 mass shootings in the U.S.A so far this year. Team gun culture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

Not near as many mass shootings in Canada. Mostly of aboriginal people in first couple hundred years.

In last 100 years maybe a couple of dozen times in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Canada

Governance as a whole buddy.

Resposible for WAY MORE DEATHS than every possible thing combined

While simplistic it is a true statement. The first thing you have to deal with is the bad guys have guns and will not be the ones turning them in if they become illegal. Pandoras box is open you can not close the lid so what works for Canada will never work in the USA. Personally i am glad Canada does not have access to handguns or assault rifles your culture would become more violent and mirror the path our culture has taken. You meaning most people of Canadian culture will not understand the dynamics going on down here. I am good with that it is one of the things I like about Up North people who still have the ability to have hope for a gentler world to live in. Funny thing is if you read Pandoras box once the evil was released inside the box was a small nugget left behind and it was called Hope. I think that nugget can be called Canada too.

Art

Our constitution stresses peace, order, and good governance. We don't hope, we do, within a certain unwritten code. Politeness first, and you see that even in the toughest looking guys. It's funny sometimes at a coffee shop as the bikers hold the door for you. Being a Dick first just doesn't work up here. Donald Trump wouldn't fly up here. That massive collective housing fraud wouldn't work up here like it did down south.

The group vrs the individual. Americans have had cause to be fearful way back when but then it became a personality trait. You can't trust this and you can't trust them. Every man for himself with their weapons cache. Frankly it sounds nuts to me, at the first sign of real trouble you will all be shooting each other. I'd be moving to Canada if I were you...and we will take you. Your welcome. :)

Edited by scuro2

Completely different cultures. You cannot compare apples to oranges.... Their 2nd amendment is entrained in their culture; Americans will defend their constitution. As we do ours.

I understand both sides..... But this us vs. them changes nothing. They are our best friend and allie.

Infact we depend on "their" guns and our combined friendship, a lot more then the depend on us.....

I hope these people did not die in vain however, would I like to see change? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not.... But I also don't see the need to anger our greatest allie......

Their issues, thier problems...... Their gun defend us.

Apples and oranges.

I may have missed them? But I don't recall Canadian politicians posting these sort of pictures?

http://mashable.com/2015/12/04/christmas-guns-michele-fiore/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#7S3bxoyrOuqQ

The last couple of election cycles it seemed like most candidates here made sure they had a pic of them packing iron? For some reason it isn't happening as much now?

Sound bites, whip your supporters into a frenzy? both parties do it here, the methods vary.

Our constitution stresses peace, order, and good governance. We don't hope, we do, within a certain unwritten code. Politeness first, and you see that even in the toughest looking guys. It's funny sometimes at a coffee shop as the bikers hold the door for you. Being a Dick first just doesn't work up here. Donald Trump wouldn't fly up here. That massive collective housing fraud wouldn't work up here like it did down south.

The group vrs the individual. Americans have had cause to be fearful way back when but then it became a personality trait. You can't trust this and you can't trust them. Every man for himself with their weapons cache. Frankly it sounds nuts to me, at the first sign of real trouble you will all be shooting each other. I'd be moving to Canada if I were you...and we will take you. Your welcome. :)

It is a mindset for sure and Canadian mindset is something I envy and I wish it would work down here. The difference is the USA was not given independence we fought for it and won. We then wrote the Constitution and gave citizens certain rights to prevent a government from becoming a sole controlling force. Now with this time and society changed and we added rights to it and we blended them into the current laws governing the people.

You have to take with a grain of salt what you are fed as facts up North some of the views I have read are way out of bounds and are expressed by people who have not ever visited the United States. I have been to Canada quite a few times but I only get a small snapshot of what life up North is because i visit the same 4 or 5 places every time.The same goes for down here we have places where you can shoot your guns out back and 10 miles away you can't even shoot a BB gun. We have places where you will not find 10 guns per 1000 people and others where you will find collections of guns that would make the police look like they have nothing.

I am not scared by guns I have been trained to use them in the Sea Bees as well as in civilian life. I have yet to have some one draw a gun on me after my time in the service so it is not the wild threat that some are lead to believe. I also know that a day in the public I will pass by at least 20 people who have a concealed weapon and it is comforting to me. Crime needs victims and if you do not know who is armed and who is not you will have less opportunistic crimes. The ability to bear arms is part of a checks and balance that we rely on to feel safe as well as preserve a delicate balance that is not part of Canadian culture. I can sum it up with a meme I saw in the past it was someone had written in wet concrete "sorry for vandalizing your concrete" it instantly popped into my mind somewhere up in Canada before I read the next line that said " Canadian gang signs" . This is not bad it just showed me that mind sets of different cultures make us each look at things differently. When I am up North I get to fish and philosophy with some really great minds and it is refreshing to get views that I am culturally blind too.

Art

. Crime needs victims and if you do not know who is armed and who is not you will have less opportunistic crimes. The ability to bear arms is part of a checks and balance that we rely on to feel safe as well as preserve a delicate balance that is not part of Canadian culture

Art

There's lots of stories of accidental shootings, like a 3 year old accidentally shooting mom. Not so many stories of armed citizens gunning down bad dudes or terrorists.

There's lots of stories of accidental shootings, like a 3 year old accidentally shooting mom. Not so many stories of armed citizens gunning down bad dudes or terrorists.

The mainstream media doesn't report much on stories that don't fit their narrative? I'm shocked. Defensive use may get local coverage, but it will almost never get national coverage. Google 'defensive gun use' and you'll see plenty of stories. There's 'lots of stories of accidental shootings'? People die all the time from all sorts of accidents. I'll bet none of them get reported anywhere near the rate that firearms accidents do. Wonder why?

Completely different cultures. You cannot compare apples to oranges.... Their 2nd amendment is entrained in their culture; Americans will defend their constitution. As we do ours.

I understand both sides..... But this us vs. them changes nothing. They are our best friend and allie.

Infact we depend on "their" guns and our combined friendship, a lot more then the depend on us.....

I hope these people did not die in vain however, would I like to see change? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not.... But I also don't see the need to anger our greatest allie......

Their issues, thier problems...... Their gun defend us.

Apples and oranges.

Not an us vrs them at all but more like lets talk because you can't wrap this up in a nice little package where it only impacts Americans and doesn't impact Mexico or Canada. To me it's more like talking to a close relative with a significant problem that everyone else sees but them.