Salmon season 2016 Ganaraska

chessy

NEXT YEAR FISHING ON THE GANARASKA

port hope has opted to keep the river open in the month of September . some of the council and 3 mnrf staff phps (port hope police service) members from the grca and ofah. They have come up with this solution. The town will pay for 1 phps officer per platoon (1 per shift) to be trained as a co and will be able to enforce both the fish and wildlife act and the fisheries act . The town will then pay for these officers to patrol the river that will be the officers sole job in the month of September is to watch the river 24 hours a day in September the town will also pay for CCTV cameras in the downtown core. The town will also make signage alone the river in multiple languages to state what infractions are and fines something like you see on 401 about speeding tickets. The mnr will also step up enforcement and will be able to get to all the other "hot spots" upstream the ofah will put a advertising in Augusts. Oodmag warning people of the new enforcement and even have spot on there radio show in fall as well. WITH THE SIGNAGE AND ALL OTHER MEDIA THERE WILL BE A POLICY OF NO EXCUSE THE FWCA AND FISHERIES ACT WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED SO DONT EVEN FORGET YOUR LICENSE

still not sure why this cant be done on every major tributary in southern Ontario...the fines would easily pay for the officer's time.

There is no reasonable excuse for the lack of enforcement.

Its all about enforcement. With none, you get the gong shows. Make an example and things change right quick.

Im glad the town stepped up!

S.

I love this approach! As stated above - it should be instituted on all tribs. I also agree the fines will offset the cost of extra policing. Along with the signs stating the regs & fines that are in place they should include a white board. On that board the officer from the night shift can report

IN THE PAST 24 HOURS CONSERVATION OFFICERS LEVIED FINES OF $4,500.00!

$1,200.00 - 4 anglers without a current fishing license

$2,300.00 - 2 anglers in possession of fish over the legal possession limit

$1,000.00 - 1 angler disposing of fish that is fit for consumption

I know - I got tooo much time on my hands!

Maybe a little off topic here but for those of you who remember fishing the same areas 20+ years ago, have you noticed a diminishing number of snaggers and well, poachers in general with the proliferation of cell phones, cameras and social media?

Nope, it's not much different than it was back in tha day from where I sit, in the downtown anyway. I believe there is more gut and chucks now due to people consuming the roe, rather than just keeping it for fishing, but otherwise the liners, snaggers and night stalkers where always there. People are just more aware of it as a result of the hue and cry of the Internet.

I love this approach! As stated above - it should be instituted on all tribs. I also agree the fines will offset the cost of extra policing. Along with the signs stating the regs & fines that are in place they should include a white board. On that board the officer from the night shift can report

IN THE PAST 24 HOURS CONSERVATION OFFICERS LEVIED FINES OF $4,500.00!

$1,200.00 - 4 anglers without a current fishing license

$2,300.00 - 2 anglers in possession of fish over the legal possession limit

$1,000.00 - 1 angler disposing of fish that is fit for consumption

I know - I got tooo much time on my hands!

If every officer had this kinda of day You would literally pay all of their salaries for a year in 2 weeks time at that rate...jesus

Edited by AKRISONER

Great now theyre all gonna go to bowmanville :( I'd rather then stay at their smelly port hope (poachers that is). I honestly don't think much is going to change until they close that river, snaggers will find aa way around, I doubt that the MNR will be there 24 hours a day in September as promised too, we shall see though.

I think this sounds like a step in the right direction. I have only just started trying river fishing and I would have loved to try the salmon run this year but everything that I've seen online has turned me off of it so I didn't bother.

ive been wanting to river fish for years and the complete ish show still scares me off. Ive also said that I think fishing licenses should cost 500 dollars a year and be strictly enforced...but ill probably catch even more flack for that one!

ive been wanting to river fish for years and the complete ish show still scares me off. Ive also said that I think fishing licenses should cost 500 dollars a year and be strictly enforced...but ill probably catch even more flack for that one!

You're kidding right? If you believe for a second that any more money spent on licenses would be put into the MNR, you've been drinking too much Koolaid! The only difference the extra roughly $450 a year would make, would be in our wallets.

HH