Best time to buy a used boat

LostAnotherOne

This will be my first boat and I have a cap of $3000. Cant get anything pretty but looking for a 14' aluminum with hopefully a 4 stroke, but most likely it will be a 2 stroke. My question for you guys is when is the best time of the year to get it? I keep saying spring, but would it be smart to grab one now. Thanks

Well, the more expensive and bigger the boat the better the deal. End of season would be your best bet. A 14 ft tin is not that hard to store and not that hard to sell. Where as a larger boat like a bass boat or deep v takes up space and money to store so the faster the seller can get rid of it the better. If I was selling my tin boat my price wouldn't be that flexible as I can sell it any time. I store in my back yard upside down on the trailer, easy. My 18 ft crestliner takes up my garage, plus I have to plug in all my batties.... Keep your eyes peeled and ear to the ground, you'll find a deal.

I know of a great 14ft starcraft with 15 honda 4 stroke on a galvanized trailer for sale right now. Its just down the rd from big cliff......nice deep and wide tinny. Just sayin.....asking $3000

S.

Edited by Sinker

I know of a great 14ft starcraft with 15 honda 4 stroke on a galvanized trailer for sale right now. Its just down the rd from big cliff......nice deep and wide tinny. Just sayin.....asking $3000

S.

Buy this if the motor is decent. I have an SF14 starcraft as my duckboat with a 20, and it's a solid boat. I ran it previously with a 15, and it's just fine for fishing. The only time you want more power is carrying heavy decoy rigs for duck hunting. To answer the original question, buy now if you have the cash.

Spring you will find more options but you will pay more money. Fall is the time to find a deal as guys that are "done" won't want to bother winterizing/storing there old rig. I just found a boat this week similar to what you are looking for. 14' with a 2-stroke and I came in well under your budget. Spring I got work to do re doing floors and carpet but that's part of the "deal"

Good luck in your search!

Thanks guys for the advice. I decided I'm going to act now instead of spring so hopefully I can get it out for some November musky.

This is what i did last fall...ended up getting a sweet boat for a good price and managed to get out and catch a few musky before the season ended.

Go for it!

S.

Is that the one down across the road from Lunge Haven? I went down there but there is no sign or or anything on the boat, (was on a black trailer) tried knocking on the door but no one answered, I'll try again this evening. I did go out to 36 and down the other way to Pleasent Point but the only other one I saw didn't have a motor on it and it looked like it needed a lot of TLC.

My next door neighbour just bought a mid 90's 16 ft side console springbok with 20 hp 2 stroke Yamaha, trailer, fish finder, trolling motor for 2900.00. Very decent boat he has already painted it, and redid the carpeting said that cost him just over 300.00.... Now if the wind would ever die down when he is off we might get out fishing in it before the snow flies.

That's the one Cliff. He had a sign on it a few days ago, with a price of $3000 firm. I thought the trailer was galvanized, but maybe not. Its a starcraft with a honda on the back though.

S.

Wind was pretty bad here yesterday, sign might have blown off, I'll go knock on the door tonight or tomorrow morning.

When most are hanging up the fishing gear and later. Would be better served if you can test it on the water as testing an outboard in a driveway wont tell you how it will perform on the water and tough to tell if there are and leaks in the hull. Good luck.