Best time to buy a used boat

LostAnotherOne

Heading to Lindsey in about an hour to check out a boat. I know its a drive (3hours) just to see a boat that I haven't seen yet, but its worth giving it a try. Its a 14' with a 15 four stroke on the back for $3000. My mindset is that if it doesn't feel right I'm heading home empty handed.

Heading to Lindsey in about an hour to check out a boat. I know its a drive (3hours) just to see a boat that I haven't seen yet, but its worth giving it a try. Its a 14' with a 15 four stroke on the back for $3000. My mindset is that if it doesn't feel right I'm heading home empty handed.

I think it will feel right. Its a good looking rig.

S.

sounds like a good starter rig. I know the water you fish bud, and it'll fit your needs perfectly.

if it can't be water tested, see if you can get in writing that the boat is leak free.

that'll at least allow you some recourse in the spring if it leaks like a sieve.

I believe it was mentioned it was a starcraft? They are likely the best aluminum boat manufacturer out there right now....I'm sure it'll be rock solid!

Good luck bud!

Just got back. Almost 7 hours driving today. Anyways we tested the boat and its great. No leaks and motor runs well. The problem is when we hooked up there was no electrical. Cant drive on the 401 with no trailer lights at night time. The good thing is that he's going to take it into the shop to get fixed. Was hoping to bring it back today, but I may have to wait until next week. The electrical stuff is not the problem I'm worried about, but the fact that he doesn't have ownership for the trailer. He's got a receipt that I'm going to bring into Service Ontario on Monday to see if they can accept that. The seller is very nice and knowledgeable about musky. When he started showing me all his pics I was embarrassed to show him my 44" I caught last year. If anyone can give me advice on how to deal with this issue with ownership that would be greatly appreciated. I also couldn't see the Hull number on the side of the boat. I really want this boat.

Sounds like trying to buy something from my father in law. No excuse for not having a trailer ownership... if his plate is legit just get him to go to service Ontario and get a replacement ownership.

The first thing cops ask for now when they pull you over is trailer ownership and sometimes boat ownership. A good thing to try and deter stolen boats from travelling the highway. Everyone on this forum should have the trailer ownership in their vehicle glove box and the boat ownership in it's glove box.

As for numbers on the boat, again vessel licence is mandatory to have on board the vessel. He should have it!

If he can't produce either, walk away.

He can get a replacement ownership for the trailer at service ontario without trouble. If the boat has a serial number, you can do a cpic check online to check for stolen. It's not a flawless system, but it will give you some idea. Serials on boats are typically located near the rear grab handles on tinnys. You can usually register a boat with a sworn affidavit. Most towns have a commissioner of oaths that for $20 or so will commission something for you to send in to register the hull. In short, it's not impossible, but requires more legwork.

Here is the link to cpic

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm

Edited by porkpie

So I just picked up my first boat today. Its a 14' Lund with a 20 on the back. Comes with a sweet trolling motor and 2 fish finders. The inside is pretty much all set up and I don't even think I have to do anything. I like to thank Hoser (Mark) for setting me up with his fathers boat. You guys gave me a deal and I appreciate it. Its a beauty and I promise to treat her well. Also like to thank Big Cliff and Sinker for pointing me to another one, but unfortunately it wasn't the one. Thanks guys