Jembi Lake Fly In Trip - A Walleye Factory

fishnsled

The planning started back in January as to where to go and who would be on this trip. The obvious call as to where to go was Mike Borger of course and once again he did not disappoint. He had a few suggestions that were within everyone’s budget. After some discussion, Jembi Lake with White River Air was the destination.

The months past quick and the next thing you know we are days away from the trip. Due to some unfortunate family concerns, one of our guys had to cancel. It was tough to find anyone that last minute with most having their vacation plans in place. So Joe, Ken and I made the trek to Jembi Lake, AKA – A Walleye Factory.

We were fortunate to get in a day earlier and that all of our schedules would allow us to do so. A late departure got us to the Soo by midnight with an overnight stay there that gave us a fresh start for the last leg of the trip. Up and on the road after a quick bite got us to the base camp, loaded the plane and sitting at our home for the next few days by noon.

Jembi%20map.jpg

Our chariot for the trip up at the air base

P1020774.jpg

P1020775.jpg

P1020776.jpg

P1020777.jpg

P1020779.jpg

Joe was just a little excited I think....

P1020781.jpg

P1020782.jpg

P1020783.jpg

P1020784.jpg

P1020786.jpg

P1020788.jpg

https://youtu.be/YLzSKik9Q8w

Jembi Lake

P1020790.jpg

P1020803.jpg

The winds were pretty crazy the day. We figured they were likely pushing 40-50k gusts and had waves that were 2 to 3 footers crashing on our shoreline. We unpacked and got the rods and tackle ready, stood there pondering how the heck we were going to get the boats in the water without sinking them. And if we didn’t, would we really want to be out in that washing machine of a lake?

We had some lunch and decided just to wait it out for a bit and fish from shore. Well that windblown shoreline was a hot spot. The pike and walleye were quite willing to grab our baits. Before you know it we have our first fish fry for dinner and never even started a boat.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

The dinner was excellent and the winds died down enough to get the boats in and head out for a few hours. The fish were still cooperative as we came to the end of the first day.

P1020791.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The next day, Alarm Clock Joe had us up bright and early.

P1020792.jpg

P1020793.jpg

With the coffee brewing we grabbed a few shots of the much more favourable conditions. I wish I had my camera when I went down to the dock to throw a cast as there was a moose in the next bay. As always, it was very cool to see.

P1020794.jpg

P1020798.jpg

With coffee in hand we made our way down the lake trolling to explore these new to us waters. Once again it didn’t take long and the fish were chomping at are baits.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

P1020801.jpg

P1020800.jpg

P1020802.jpg

P1020805.jpg

P1020808.jpg

I always enjoy exploring a new lake and figuring out the hot spots. On Jembi Lake, it was made pretty easy as the fish just seemed to be everywhere. There were areas that did produce better than others but overall you could not go wrong anywhere you dropped a line. There was a good average size of 18 inchers but great numbers of 20 inch plus fish were caught by all of us.

I could ramble on more but I might as well let the pictures do the talking. Every day was the same with eat, sleep and fish being the only objectives.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

P1020809.jpg

P1020814.jpg

P1020817.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Edited by fishnsled

Part 2

IMG_0033.jpg

Countless numbers of doubleheaders

P1020836.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

P1020818.jpg

Nice stringer of fish for our next meal.

P1020821.jpg

P1020822.jpg

P1020825.jpg

Another beautiful sunrise.

P1020830.jpg

P1020835.jpg

P1020837.jpg

P1020838.jpg

P1020839.jpg

P1020840.jpg

P1020841.jpg

P1020842.jpg

P1020845.jpg

P1020847.jpg

P1020848.jpg

P1020850.jpg

P1020855.jpg

P1020857.jpg

P1020859.jpg

P1020861.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

The hunchback of Jembi Lake?

IMG_0056.jpg

This is always a great treat

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

We got all the food groups but chicken, not bad! lol.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

As for the accommodations, they suited us fine.

It is call a 6 man cabin but we felt with 4 it would be tight but manageable.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

P1020869.jpg

P1020870.jpg

P1020871.jpg

P1020873.jpg

P1020875.jpg

Stove and wood stove worked fine.

P1020874.jpg

Generator was nice for the lighting in the evening and worked like a charm. There was also an outlet if you had to charge up your batteries for the next day.

P1020851.jpg

The boats and motors were great, no issues there.

Our fly out morning was slightly delayed by a bit of fog.

P1020878.jpg

P1020879.jpg

P1020880.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

The fog did clear quite quickly which was nice.

IMG_0069.jpg

The future of the lake. We did catch quite a few pike but nothing really photo worthy. I'd have to say it is not really a pike lake and weird how all the ones we got were so skinny with such a great forge base.P1020886.jpg

Lots of these guys swimming around.

P1020887.jpg

Our ticket out.

P1020888.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

P1020889.jpg

P1020890.jpg

P1020893.jpg

https://youtu.be/vw6GJR5Iwug

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vw6GJR5Iwug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Overall a fantastic trip with a great group of guys and great fishing!! Looking forward to next year’s adventure already!

Edited by fishnsled

Looks like you boys got into some really good numbers of walleye thanks for the report and all the photos less then 2 weeks to go for our annual fly in to the Chapleau game preserve 7 days of great fishing and complete solitude and your right about Mike Borger our last 2 Fly ins were to lakes that Mike had recommended and both trips were awesome thanks again for sharing.

Cheers Mitch

What a great report, had to go over it twice, some amazing pictures, great narrative, and awesome fishing, the fun did not suck either, love the mini skewers on the plate lol

Never have been able to do a fly in but your posting made it very very much like the readers were right there

Awesome :worthy:

Thanks for doing up the report in a "timely" manner Will! LOL

It was a fun trip to say the least. As it was my first time flying in, it certainly opened my eyes as to what a difference it makes hitting a lake that doesn't get fishing pressure. It changed for me anyway, from a fishing trip, to a catching trip!

When we first arrived at camp, as Will mentioned, the wind came up huge, forcing us to stay on shore. I grabbed a beer and took a seat on the rock, while Will casted to the adjacent weed bed. His second cast, a pike of about 6 inches followed his lure in, then proceeded to wiggle it's way outta the water and up the rock, chasing FishnSleds lure. About a foot up the rock, it turned and headed back to the water. I looked at Will and said that it looks like their hungry! Dinner that night came from shore in a couple of hours of casting. That to me was just really fun.

A huge thanks to both Will and Ken, for the invite, great guys and entertaining conversation without a doubt. And many thanks for helping this newbie out in the planning of the trip as well.

If it's pickereyes you want to catch, well, Jembi sure has them in spades...

I figured in a rough estimate, that the three of us consumed somewhere in the area of 18lbs of fillets in the five days we were there, as evidenced in the pics above.

HH

PS.... we marinated some fillets in Frank's Hot sauce for two days in the fridge. (Yes, we were mindful of our possession limits) A quick coating in fish crisp, then, wrapped in bacon on the BBQ was the meal highlight for me anyway. Just a wonderful meal, that I could enjoy every day if I could!

Great report Will. Joe does fish eh.LOL

Hope you dont mind the help here. It,s been a bit of a P3TA posting vids here and there.

Not a problem Brian and thanks. When I switched the HTML it messed up the report, so I just left it as a link.

Very nice! Looks like a great trip. Thanks for putting it all up.

Those were some really nice Walleye. I could spend all week catching those!

Foam "beds" don't look too comfortable though, lol.

The foam beds were not too bad when you are exhausted after a long day of fishing.

Looks like you boys got into some really good numbers of walleye thanks for the report and all the photos less then 2 weeks to go for our annual fly in to the Chapleau game preserve 7 days of great fishing and complete solitude and your right about Mike Borger our last 2 Fly ins were to lakes that Mike had recommended and both trips were awesome thanks again for sharing.

Cheers Mitch

Mike sure knows his stuff when it comes to these trips. Good luck with your trip and looking forward to your report.

What a great report, had to go over it twice, some amazing pictures, great narrative, and awesome fishing, the fun did not suck either, love the mini skewers on the plate lol

Never have been able to do a fly in but your posting made it very very much like the readers were right there

Awesome :worthy:

The skewers make a nice little side. lol.

Awesome report. Sounds like Headhunter is hooked! Where you guys going in 2016?

2016 is still up in the air but the talking of it has started.

Glad to see you got at least 2 pictures of Joe without a smoke! I think it's "time" I did one of these.... :whistling:

They were difficult to find Wayne. lol. He was pretty happy to see that plane as supplies were low. Any "time" is a good time.

Excellent report Will! Well done out there guys. Definitely a factory it seems! Hopefully one of these years I'll be able to go on my first fly in trip as well. They look like a lot of fun!

I hope you'll join us on one of these trips soon! It was a factory. We figured caught somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3-400 fish during our stay.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Edited by fishnsled