Wolves ate my dog

Rod Caster

You guys are great. Great sympathy, perspective and advice.

I'm cheap and will likely just post on kijiji for a free dog, as I did to get Buddy. Seems a lot of people get huskies in town and then realize they need a lot of space, which I have.

Why females MB? I would have thought males would be more protective and less attractive to other animals.

He ate raw meat his whole life. I raise and butcher rabbits so he gets lots of treats. Unfortunately he was the WORST hunting dog unless it was a chipmunk or porcupine hahaha.

You guys are great. Great sympathy, perspective and advice.

I'm cheap and will likely just post on kijiji for a free dog, as I did to get Buddy. Seems a lot of people get huskies in town and then realize they need a lot of space, which I have.

Why females MB? I would have thought males would be more protective and less attractive to other animals.

He ate raw meat his whole life. I raise and butcher rabbits so he gets lots of treats. Unfortunately he was the WORST hunting dog unless it was a chipmunk or porcupine hahaha.

Honestly, all ive had is females, and they were all awesome dogs/hunters.

All the males ive met are more relaxed, although both need tons of excercise, i believe the females to be more fierce(just my experience)

Same with grandmas elk hounds, the females do the trick(but really maybe its just how they are raised??? Im not sure)

And yes, when you get a new buddy, keep up on the meat? makes a nice tough healthy dog

Oh, and the MNR said I have legal right to shoot at the wolves (that are close to my house) given my situation, With a one-year old daughter who is learning to play outside a lot, I don't like the idea of bold wolves near the house. The wife is learning to use riffles...like it or not!

I am very sorry for your loss but that's nature.

There are always what I call "Dogs that need a job". Don't get a water dog unless you bring it out to work the water. Don't get a setter if you don't bring her out to a field. Don't get a Doberman if you don't want him to bark every time there is a noise outside. Get the right dog for the job.

There are many pups out there that are abandoned and would love you to be their Master. I haven't had one for years. We are in the country on the lake but have neighbours from the cities that come out on weekends and the first thing they do is put up a freeking fence to cage the dog. I swear. I wan't my dog to run free that dogs should but don't want to have problems with my neighbours and I would want my dog to be a dog, not a caged pet. So Ticha has 2 cat's that brings home dead rabbits for me. And I cook them. She thinks I buy them.

Why should a cat be able to roam the neighbourhood but not a dog? Yes it isn't supposed to but it happens everywhere.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Oh, and the MNR said I have legal right to shoot at the wolves (that are close to my house) given my situation, With a one-year old daughter who is learning to play outside a lot, I don't like the idea of bold wolves near the house. The wife is learning to use riffles...like it or not!

I wouldn't go seeking out a vengeance like other members had mentioned but to quote the great Willie Nelson:

'When sun's down, you'd better take care

If I find you been creepin round my back stairs'

Jeremie isn't that a Gordon light foot lyric??

Well, wolves should not be coming that close to the house, weve seen them on repeated occasions this year, even with us around. It's not a good pattern.

My dog was 100 free range and knew his boundaries amazingly well. Honestly, I agree that it was a known risk. Something I can manage maybe a bit better (like tying up when I hear packs, or shooting at them wen they are in my daughters play area), but nonetheless part of country life.

There was both hybrids and Timberwolves around. There are no legitimate coyotes here, only eastern/coyote mixes and timbers. I heard both the timbers and the hybrids that night. Because the intact carcass was lifted and moved 100m without a trace, blood or fur, I assume it was a wolf because the hybrids could never have picked him up that cleanly, they are the same size as buddy approximately.

Edited by Rod Caster

Females are usually more protective but of course it can depend on each individual dog's personality and how they're raised. We had two brother and sister Siberian husky/German shepherd mixes when I was a teen. The male was extremely relaxed, wouldn't bark at anything or anybody unless he just wanted you to play with him/pet him. The female was very protective of the property and us, strangers wouldn't go up and pet her that's for sure. Insanely strong too, if they were being walked on leash she HAD to be in front of her brother and you weren't stopping her. Never had a dog pull so hard in my life. Of course the shepherd in her made her bigger than the average Siberian, she weighed over 85lbs despite being fairly short, just a tank.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Just terrible. Just remember that your dog had a better life than most. It experienced more joy in the time you had him than than he would have if he lived 18 years being crated every day and never allowed to run free. You actually allowed your dog to be a dog!

Ah. Chad you are correct. Good thing you know what I'm talking about. Half the time I don't know what I'm saying.

I'll be honest bud, this has been on my mind since the moment you posted it. I really hope you and the Missus are doing ok. Even just thinking about it makes my stomach uneasy.

Know that you are in all of our thoughts and we hope you can heal from this tragedy.

Edited by jeremy84

Bobcats and lynx' love housecats too. So I've heard. I find it a bit odd that my many rabbits (up to 24) have been left alone by predators over the last 3 years.

Things are better, but still lots of reminders.

We've been offered a Great Pyrenees by someone. It's still a bit early, but this looks one hell of an outdoor dog.