life jacket legislation

grt1

my son was busted for no life preservers in the boat but everyone had a floatation seat cushion. the ticket was about 500 bucks and he wants to fight it, I have looked for the legislation to read on the internet on several sites but I keep getting referred to another site , and it refers me to somewhere else,

does anyone know where to find the information or have first hand knowledge of the law. I'm just curious as I told him to pay the ticket and use it as a learning experience , but you know kids, will he listen, your guess is as good as mine.

if you can provide any help it would be appreciated.

FYI

Approvals

Canada

Approved devices that fulfil the legal requirement for lifejackets and PFD's carry an approval label permanently affixed to the device.

In Canada, design and manufacture are tested by the independent Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) before being approved by Transport Canada, a department of the federal government. Until recently approvals were also given by the Canadian Coast Guard. Many current lifejackets and PFD's carry this Coast Guard approved label and are legal as long as they are in good serviceable condition and fit the person who would be wearing them.

Note: Flotation seat cushions are no longer approved devices.

• Read "A few words on lifejackets and personal flotation devices in Canada" (Approvals) Transport Canada - Office of Boating Safety

Them seat cushions are way too hard to sit on after the boat flips over...especially after a couple of beers...better off with a jacket that you can do up...this information really should be in the much maligned boaters card testing

PS, in Michigan, you have to have a throwing seat cushion along with your life jackets

Edited by Dara

What's the label on floatation cushion say. And if you can make a reasonable argument make appointment with the Justice of the Pease and make your case.

They can throw tickets out and reduce fines.

Most States require a throw cushion and is a way better idea than that floating rope we need, so I kept the cushion and tied the rope to it.

What's the label on floatation cushion say. And if you can make a reasonable argument make appointment with the Justice of the Pease and make your case.

They can throw tickets out and reduce fines.

Most States require a throw cushion and is a way better idea than that floating rope we need, so I kept the cushion and tied the rope to it.

Floatation cushions are not legal, so that's a mute point. So a throw cushion is better than a floating rope eh? you only have one shot to get the cushion beside the drownee, at least with the floating rope you have multiple tries to get the rope within reach.

A lot depends on who wrote the ticket a JP can override a ticket written by the OPP or a local police agency but when the ticket is issued by one of the ministries [ game&fisheries or transportation] it needs to be tried by judge &jury, a justice of the peace has no authority over these people.Read that ticket carefully,the legall costs could be triple the price of the ticket.

I would say he's got off easy.. better to learn this way than the hard way which would be clinging to a cushion out in the lake... my buddy and I rescued some fishermen 20 odd years ago at quinte. Only one of the 5 had a proper life jacket.. they were very close to drowning...

It has been many years since they were legal...which is why you can't buy them in Canada anymore.

Let's not be so quick to make statements which can turn out to be incorrect.

Still sold in Canada but clearly marked as "Not approved as a flotation device"

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/boat-seat-cushion-0794401p.html#.VaZKKWNf9KQ

AKRISONER what grey area's are you refering to?

I find if you take the time to read the laws/rules it's pretty clear.

Don't take the time to find out the information & go by a guess isn't a grey area but a miscalculation.

uhhh...see the title of the post. Clearly someone got confused. Yes I will agree that thinking that the pfd seats are sufficient is incorrect, however i dont think theres much question if you just make people wear them all the time like a seat belt.

Im not perfect myself I cant say that I wear a pfd 100% of the time, but im pretty darn close, im also 27, a very strong swimmer and never drink while boating.

I still wear a PFD 100% of the time when the water is 60 degrees or colder.

My point is that its pretty hard to wear a foam seat 100% of the time or any other oddity someone may consider as a PFD.

To anyone that is willing to complain that life jackets are uncomfortable or something along those lines, get an inflatable PFD, i literally forget im wearing mine every time i have it on.

I sure hope they never make it mandatory to wear life jackets at all times. They are uncomfortable, so people just need to be responsible. I will put it on when travelling in rough water, but would not be a happy camper if I had to wear one in 30C weather with no wind. I surely don't need anymore liberal legislation to look after me.

I think your kid should go to the JP and plead ignorance and hopefully get a reduction in the fine and then learn from the experience.

Im kind of in the camp that if your boat is under 24 feet long, jacket at all times. At least that way its cut and dry.

A rule like that would piss off almost every single angler in the province of Ontario.

And aren't the rules already be pretty cut and dry?

A rule like that would piss off almost every single angler in the province of Ontario.

And aren't the rules already be pretty cut and dry?

I think you are generalizing the entire population of us who wear inflatable PFD's

I wear mine literally every time im fishing now.

Honestly you should try them out, they are by far one of the best investments ive ever made when it comes to fishing gear.

Just because you wear one almost all the time is your privledge.

I have no problem with that.

My problem comes when you think your veiw point is more valid than others & advicate for changes to the laws to follow your veiw point.

Simular to some EX-smokers and religions who belive everyone should confirm to their beliefs.

pointing out your opinion is also your belief as well. if you choose to not wear a PFD that is really your decision, however its not much different than arguing against seat belts.

People can do whatever they want, im just pointing out the fact that the regulation is clearly not straight forward enough if people are still getting confused.

I honestly could care less if more anglers drowned while not wearing PFD's...more fish for the rest of us i say.