life jacket legislation

grt1

Once again, to each his own.

You are a riot! You don't care if strangers do dumb stuff and die. And you say things like "to each his own".

Yet you are in favor of a rule that forces everyone to wear a PFD at ALL times in any boats shorter than 24'.

I actually applaud you for wearing your inflatable at all times. That is a very responsible and safe thing to do. More of us probably should do the same and it's good of you to encourage us to do so.

BUT, supporting a law or regulation that FORCES us to wear them at all times is what puts our hackles up. Forced government regulation doesn't sit well with most folks.

The question here is what box of cracker jacks did this guy get his PCOC from, anybody should have known they needed life jackets on board. The thing to do would be to ask the JP for a hundred bucks off if you put it towards a CPS boaters coarse for your son and friends.

I think CPS tried to get a boating coarse part of a fine, something like drunk school but they wouldn't go for it.

On BOQ there was a guy who would take his paddle boat out past the weed line a few feet from his dock for a swim. Cops waited for him to get back on the boat and charged him for no life jacket.

You are a riot! You don't care if strangers do dumb stuff and die. And you say things like "to each his own".

Yet you are in favor of a rule that forces everyone to wear a PFD at ALL times in any boats shorter than 24'.

I actually applaud you for wearing your inflatable at all times. That is a very responsible and safe thing to do. More of us probably should do the same and it's good of you to encourage us to do so.

BUT, supporting a law or regulation that FORCES us to wear them at all times is what puts our hackles up. Forced government regulation doesn't sit well with most folks.

As it currently stands Simon, yes to each their own. The law states you dont have to wear one, so go ahead and dont wear one. If that person drowns because of their own negligence then so be it.

Doesnt mean that my stance on wearing them wavers. Seatbelts are also the law, do people still choose to not wear them? Absolutely. Do i feel horrible when i found out that someone gets hurt in a car crash because they werent wearing a seatbelt, its sad yes but preventable.

I have a friend who died while joy riding drunk with his best friend...tragic indeed, but if i didnt know him id say "well that was preventable"

Honestly, who here has never..had...known someone or witnessed someone whos had a close call/actually had a problem...i bet very few of us.