MNR what a joke

Paudash

My son went by lock 19 in Peterborough tonight to see if the walleye spawn has started. The goods news is that spawn is going full tilt with lost of walleye and the largest being around 10 lbs.

Now the bad news is the their were people fishing for them and the cut up walleye on shore. When he called the MNR to report it he was told they were most likely native and not to worry about it. When he then told them they definitely were not native they still said not to worry about it. He then drove up the road to the police station up the road to report it. At the station the office said he was just down their writing tickets and he will head back again shortly.

Should the MNR not be at every dam for the next 2 weeks protecting the fish?

I remember calling a few years back about a similar issue in Omemee with the same response from the MNR

The MNR is all down in the GTA busting all the snaggers and poachers in the creeks right now !!! The annual creek gong show is in full effect now !! As soon as the ice is off up here in the kawarthas they will be busting the over limit crappie guys !!! It's the same every year sad but true !!!!! And will continue as there are just not enough officers In a month from now just go to any dam in the kawarthas and you will see what I mean !!!! Every year same thing !!!!

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for 60 odd years and can honestly say in all that time I've been checked by a CO exactly ONE time, and that wasn't even for fishing. It was opening day of duck season and he wanted to know if I heard anyone shooting before sunrise.

No wonder so many people break the fishing rules with no worries.

Edited by lew

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for 60 odd years and can honestly say in all that time I've been checked by a CO exactly ONE time, and that wasn't even for fishing. It was opening day of duck season and he wanted to know if I heard anyone shooting before sunrise.

No wonder so many people break the fishing rules with no worries.

its why fishing license suspensions are a joke! license suspended for 2 years? oh no problem, have only seen a CO once in 40 years fishing this place

Are the people catching the Walleye unaware of the regulations or do they just not give a crap? Blows my mind. The MNR should deputize some civilians if they don't have the man-power!

That actually makes too much sense to happen, sadly. I also agree with the shaming aspect. More people need to get upset over this, and not just accept it for what it is.

Perhaps a big sign at major spawning sites explaining exactly what is going on and how important it is for these fish to be protected. Believe it or not many people are uneducated about fish spawning and habitat protection.

If they still break the law then its all on them and whatever punishment they receive is deserved!

Just a sec... Wasn't a muskie killer recently charged and convicted just on the basis of video evidence from another angler? Pretty sure that's what happened. So start taking pictures and video, getting as many details as you can of faces, license plates, etc., and pass them on.

I may be wrong here, but assuming they are fishing a zone which walleye is in season during the fall, I think that keeping walleye in the slot size is perfectly legal, and is what I strive for. I play it safe and only keep walleye between 14-19 inches but if I catch one in the slot, I keep it. That being said walleye is open in my zone till November 15 and I will keep 4 of them if I can get them. But anything outside of the slot goes back.

I have also lived and fished in the Peterborough and Kawartha lakes area for my entire life and have been stopped twice by the MNR. It was not to check possession limits but rather to take a pleasant "survey" on the water. Before they left I offered for them to check my live well, to kind of lightly bring up the point of, if your out here doing a survey why not check or at least ask about individuals fish which they have in possession, but I was told they were only students and that they were not authorized/trained to do so.