Timing of ice-out?

captpierre

Upper Buckhorn was at least 2 to 3 weeks late last year. Most years the majority of ice is out during March break with the exception of the smaller bays...last year wasn't out until end of March. I suspect this year will be as late. No soft water until early April...then the flooding starts.

I was on Cooch on 24 inches of ice April 9th last year. The shoreline was getting bad so I never went out again after that...still my latest ice fishing date. I really think this year will be in the same ball park. I actually hope it is. I had a real good spring last year shore fishing for crappies and gills. And one spot I got crappies from shore until June. Haven't ever came close to that before.

According to my "Ice Out" pictures folder for Pigeon Lake north shore:

2005 19 April

2006 13 April

2007 18 April

2008 20 April

2010 02 April

2012 21 March

2013 21 April

2014 sometime after 21 April (5 days ?)(scrapped old truck...no ride to lake)

As the ice was late coming this past winter I'm guessing it wasn't as thick as last year so I'll hazard a guess at 15 Apr 2015 providing we get some decent warm weather...

Edited by Beans

Was just talking to a couple of my "weather buddies" and there telling me that it is going to get colder/cooler

again next week after a couple days of warmer weather . As well as being cooler then normal for the rest of

the month into April . Lots of ice to melt so by this info. I would be saying it will be just like last year or maybe

even a bit later for open water !

According to my "Ice Out" pictures folder for Pigeon Lake north shore:

2012 21 March

I remember that spring. My daughter was born on the 19th and I was driving to the hospital in shorts with the windows down. It was almost 30 degrees the whole week.

I was out fishing April 5th on Georgian Bay last year. and it was below 0 all day. Pointe Au baril usually breaks up really quick too because of the current and constantly changing water levels.

Its gonna be a while lol. Cant lie though, im a little excited to dig out tinner and begin my casting platform conversion and mount my new trolling motor.

Bill, lake O looks pretty open from my office might be a bit "hard" to launch

Edited by AKRISONER

Southern shore of Lake O is calling my name.

Yes indeed!!. Queenston should be open with next weeks weather - if you don't mind pinball alley around the chunks on the way to the bar. Fingers crossed for Jordan or PD to open up soon!

Edited by spincast

Yes indeed!!. Queenston should be open with next weeks weather - if you don't mind pinball alley around the chunks on the way to the bar. Fingers crossed for Jordan or PD to open up soon!

I see a road trip in my future. :whistling::Gonefishing:

I see a road trip in my future. :whistling::Gonefishing:

You betcha bud - My turn for host waters - got a seat with your name on it , as you don't mind the cold weather, it may be up front on the other side of the stand up if that's ok? :tease:

You betcha bud - My turn for host waters - got a seat with your name on it , as you don't mind the cold weather, it may be up front on the other side of the stand up if that's ok? :tease:

Can I jig? Not the dance type BTW, Then again,it does keep me warm when Im jumping around.. :D

Great minds think alike :)

Edited by BillM