Dead deep cycle batteries

super dave

With the one that's dead dead, you can return as a "core" they'll give you $10 towards a new battery, the other I don't know what anyone would do with it other than put it on a trickle charger, though you can have the battery diagnosed to see if it still meets all the cold cranking amps etc its supposed to and that will help your decision to either keep it or buy 2 new ones

Sometimes deep cycle batteries become sulfated (build up on plates)

Some "smart" chargers can identify this condition & go into a desulfate mode,enabling the battery to accept charging.

My cheap ctc "smart" charger has saved more than 1 battery for me when I thought they were finished.

You need a charger that will go into a de sulphation process which will remove the electrolyte from the plates & possibly revive your batteries. Battery minder model 12248 is the one I use. For an education on batteries & chargers go to "battery stuff.com"

Intense amount of reading but, well worth the info.

A combination of several of the above:

Check for water and refill with distilled water if necessary

Hooking in parallel to a fully charged battery can sometimes re establish polarity, if your battery is so dead that your charger can't detect polarity, most won't try to charge.

Use a charger that can detect and desulphate a battery.

If all of these things fail, take it to a scrap yard or use it as a trade-in for a new battery.

If they are a pair you use together and they are not very close in capacity, rating etc or if one is OK and the other weak, the bad one will cause the good one to quickly go bad. Its always best to replace them as a pair. They will last longer. As others have said, a smart charger that desulfates or a battery shop with a commerical charger can revive some batteries to some percentage of new capacity, but they wont be anywhere near 100% and should only be used solo, if at all.

Sometimes deep cycle batteries become sulfated (build up on plates)

Some "smart" chargers can identify this condition & go into a desulfate mode,enabling the battery to accept charging.

My cheap ctc "smart" charger has saved more than 1 battery for me when I thought they were finished.

EXACTLY.......and this is why a on-board charger is so important if you really want to get the most out of all your boat batteries. All modern on-board chargers are "Smart Chargers" to keep batteries de-sulfated not to mention how easy it is to just plug in your "boat" when not fishing. I would not have a boat without one.

The difference from 27's to 31's is night and day. I couldn't believe how much more power I had with the 31's.

S.

That's what I've been hearing, I run a pair of 27s right now but my Terrova really tends to suck them dry if I'm on it all day.

even the 29 series wally world one makes a big difference compared to the 27 on my 12v 55pd

I run two 31's for my 12v 55pd.....it will troll steady at 1.5-2mph all day long, no problem, no matter what the wind. I might have to troll with the wind on really windy days though.

S.

Edited by Sinker