Sometimes you just have to wonder why?

Big Cliff

The past little while has been filled with challenges for me; wife is having serious heart problems, it’s one day at a time thing. Hardly ever drinks, always eats healthy, did smoke but very casually but hasn’t touched one in over 20 years. Health care system has been a challenge to deal with. Wake up in the middle of the night and reach over to make sure she is still breathing. I have to be honest, it is rough sometimes.

Daughter diagnosed with non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. It’s a hold your breath thing every three months when she has to see the oncologist. Did smoke for a short period, will have an occasional glass of wine or a drink but very rarely. Eats all the right foods and tries to take care of herself. She has a wonderful husband, a beautiful daughter and grand kids on the way.

Son in hospital with severe ulcerative colitis, there is no cure, best we can hope for is control with medications or it is surgery and a bag for the rest of his life, he is only 44. Hardly ever has a drink (might have 2 or 3 beer in a summer). Smoked but not heavy, always watches what he eats and is built like a body builder. Has been told by the Dr. that he can’t go back to the work he has been doing and loves. Going to be a real life changer for sure.

Brother with prostate cancer and heart problems, he has never smoked, does enjoy a beer, always worked hard and is younger than I am. Eats healthy, has a good job and a fantastic wife.

19 year old granddaughter just announced she is pregnant with twins, dad is no longer in the picture, oh joy, what are these kids thinking today?

Then this morning I get a text from a very good friend to let me know that his father-in-law (and a wonderful man and friend) passed away last night.

I have smoked since I was 12 (well I did quit a long time ago now), chased women since I was 13 (ok, so not when Sue is around anymore unless it’s Sue and she knows better than to make me chase her too far).

Drank off and on since I was 13, never worried about what I ate, treated my body like crap and at 69 I am still able to hold down a job and apart from a few things not working quite as well as they use too (but I know how to compensate) pretty much as good as I was 50 years ago!

All this and I have never felt so helpless in all my life! I have always been the “could fix anything man” and now I can’t seem to fix anything.

WHY?

Chin up Cliff, I know it can be hard but your family needs you to be strong now more then ever.

Knowing you they count on you as a source of strength and someone to look to for advice. I know this is eating you inside, you have a huge burden to shoulder..... Strong yet soft...

Hopefully things will work out for you and for your family... If you ever need anyone to vent on, feel free to get in touch.

Stay strong.... I know it's hard.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Cliff, sorry to read that lengthy list. We all seem to get dealt stuff, but you have been handed more than your fair share. At least in the midst of it all, those on your list have a man of your integrity and fortitude to lean on. Hang in there, though I wish mere words could fix stuff like this.

Cliff hang in there we are all delt bad cards in out lives, some more than others. I know the colitis thing inside out. My wife got it three montths after our first child was born. You know the routine . . . Every couple of years she would end up in a hospital so she could be tube fed to reduce the inflammation.

It went on for 15 years and two amazing doctors one of which had a twin brother suffering the same fate. In between she had three more girls all vey healthy.

It came to a point where they/we had to make decision, after months of pondering an operation was decided, very risky, they were going to remove some of her large intestine. 50/50, these two took it very seriously and made sure that they were doing the right thing. It went our 50 way, completely cured of it with no reoccurrence now for 29 years. No bag. And no medication. There is a day that we don't think of these these two doctors and where we would be without them.

Hopeing for the best for your family.

A

Life sure isn't fair sometimes Cliff and I doubt if any of us will ever have an answer as to why.

Something that's always pi$$ed me off is good people get sick and often die far before their time, while the likes of Clifford Olsen, Paul Bernardo and Charles Manson live long & healthy.

Thats a full plate of challenges for sure Cliff and by the sounds of it you would trade places with each one if you could. Don't waste valuable time searching for answers just be there for those that need you. Wish you and yours all the best.

So sorry to hear of your troubles right now Cliff. I've often wondered why the people who don't smoke, eat healthy and barely or don't smoke at all end up getting sick and then others who drink, smoke and carry on ;) are in great health!

Here's hoping everything turns out well for you bud!!

Oh and it just keeps getting better. Went out and cleared the driveway, backed my car in after but forgot the trailer tounge sticking up in the air, yup right through the back window. (should have cleaned the back window off and not relied on the mirrors)

Walked in the house and the wife informed me she had just done the laundry, yup, missed a pen in a pocket, all the sheets and towels are now sporting big blue stains.

If it weren't for bad luck!!!!!!!!!

thats quite a handful to handle, my best advice, go drill a hole, sit down with a rod in hand, and collect yourself

If I tried that the way things are going, I'd probably hit a water line or burried hydro cable LOL!

Tomorrow the sun will rise, it will be a new day, I will choose to make the best of it. Today, I thank all of you for your support!

You just never know what life is going to throw at you. I feel for you, as I know only too well how this goes. I just try to keep to the grindstone. Not much else we can do, Cliff. Either I'm going to wear it down, or it's going to wear me down. Come hell or high water, I sure as hell won't give up. I know you're not the quitting type either.

My thoughts are with you And your family Cliff. We've never met but in the 3 years I've been a member of this community, your posts and comments have always been of great inspiration. you are like the OFC mayor. I believe that you really do care about everyone on these forums. And for that, I send my prayers to you and your family.

GODSPEED Cliff!

If I tried that the way things are going, I'd probably hit a water line or burried hydro cable LOL!

Tomorrow the sun will rise, it will be a new day, I will choose to make the best of it. Today, I thank all of you for your support!

That's a good way to approach it.

Beers on me this summer.

And this morning the sun did come up and I chose to make it a good day and it is! The problems of yesterday are in the past, the problems of today seem much less daunting now that I have had time to think on them, some I can fix, some I can't. The ones I can fix I will, the ones I can't fix I'll have to trust to God and the Dr.s to do what needs to be done.

Thank all of you for the kind words, support, and understanding, sometimes that is all that is needed to get you to the next day!

And this morning the sun did come up and I chose to make it a good day and it is! The problems of yesterday are in the past, the problems of today seem much less daunting now that I have had time to think on them, some I can fix, some I can't. The ones I can fix I will, the ones I can't fix I'll have to trust to God and the Dr.s to do what needs to be done.

Thank all of you for the kind words, support, and understanding, sometimes that is all that is needed to get you to the next day!

I told you. You're too stubborn to let things get you down for long. It'll be a sad day when the glue that holds your family together (YOU!) fails.

Oh and it just keeps getting better. Went out and cleared the driveway, backed my car in after but forgot the trailer tounge sticking up in the air, yup right through the back window. (should have cleaned the back window off and not relied on the mirrors)

Walked in the house and the wife informed me she had just done the laundry, yup, missed a pen in a pocket, all the sheets and towels are now sporting big blue stains.

If it weren't for bad luck!!!!!!!!!

Hey Cliff

You hang in there Sunshine

Many days i have wandered the south end of Lake Simcoe and Heck--even the east side of Barrie

Bump in the road

Take care

Thunder

Cliff we all have those burdens we carry daily. Especially when at that age we qualify for CPP. It's always darkest before the dawn. I cringe every time the phone rings, 3 funerals in 3 weeks all very close friends. Every time I think it can get any worse I always think about the kids and their Moms and Dads in all the Childrens Hospitals.