Most Expensive Lure Lost

LostAnotherOne

Not that this lure is expensive, but it's not available anymore. It's a "krinkles" copper/ orange spoon. I have a retired one on a plaque I won't use.

My cousin gave me his 2nd last one and I promptly snagged it and lost it in the Attawapiskat River last summer. My heart sank.

Lures have never been that bad. Sadly I've punted 2 $250 combos into the water.

First I was fishing French river in a paddle boat with my grandfather, we were trolling spinners from one side of the river to the other and then fishing senkos once we got over there so I brought two rods. When we were fishing against the rocks, we got distracted feeling in a decent bass and brushed against a cliff thinking nothing of it. When we turned around to go home, we realized my rod was gone.

The second one was my last softwater trip of 2014. A series of unfortunate events caused us to beach my kayak with heavy waves pushing into us, so I had my cousin who was with me sit up on the front and start paddling like mad while I straightened us out and pushed us off. So I push and leap into the kayak, swinging my legs around I grab my paddle just in time to see my rod and reel sinking to the bottom of the lake. That was a baaaaad day.

My dad taught me to fish back in the early 50's and as far back as my memory takes me, his #1 go-to bait for just about anything that swam was a wooden pikie minnow.

Didn't matter if it was Quinte eyes, French River pike or Simcoe pickeral, he clipped on that old minnow and boy did he ever catch a ton of fish on it. Back in the day guys didn't have a dozen rods and hundreds of lures like today, you had ONE rod and a couple baits.

When Dad got to a point in his life when he retired from fishing, he made me a gift of that pikie minnow and my memories of it made it one of the best gifts I ever received.

I was afraid to use it in case I lost the darned thing and it sat in my tackle box as a good luck charm for years.

One day my bud and I were heading out to do some trolling and I got brave and decided to give it a try. Darned if I didn't get hung up on something and before I knew it the line snapped and the bait was gone.

I couldn't believe I'd lost it and was wondering how the heck I was even gonna tell Dad I'd lost his #1 bait.

Anyhoo, it was done and nothing I could do about it so I sucked it up and we continued fishing.

Couple hours later we're trolling back and my bud yells out "look, there's your lure" and sure enough it had somehow popped free and was floating on the surface.

Couldn't believe how lucky I was and swore I'd never use it again and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage alongside a bunch of other stuff.

There's no monetary value to it, but the sentimental value makes it priceless to me.

That lure is close to 70 years old and is now permanently retired. :lol:

I've got some very expensive musky baits with some being close to $100, but so far I haven't managed to lose any of them yet.

002-4.jpg

Edited by lew

My dad taught me to fish back in the early 50's and as far back as my memory takes me, his #1 go-to bait for just about anything that swam was a wooden pikie minnow.

Didn't matter if it was Quinte eyes, French River pike or Simcoe pickeral, he clipped on that old minnow and boy did he ever catch a ton of fish on it. Back in the day guys didn't have a dozen rods and hundreds of lures like today, you had ONE rod and a couple baits.

When Dad got to a point in his life when he retired from fishing, he made me a gift of that pikie minnow and my memories of it made it one of the best gifts I ever received.

I was afraid to use it in case I lost the darned thing and it sat in my tackle box as a good luck charm for years.

One day my bud and I were heading out to do some trolling and I got brave and decided to give it a try. Darned if I didn't get hung up on something and before I knew it the line snapped and the bait was gone.

I couldn't believe I'd lost it and was wondering how the heck I was even gonna tell Dad I'd lost his #1 bait.

Anyhoo, it was done and nothing I could do about it so I sucked it up and we continued fishing.

Couple hours later we're trolling back and my bud yells out "look, there's your lure" and sure enough it had somehow popped free and was floating on the surface.

Couldn't believe how lucky I was and swore I'd never use it again and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage alongside a bunch of other stuff.

There's no monetary value to it, but the sentimental value makes it priceless to me.

That lure is close to 70 years old and is now permanently retired. :lol:

I've got some very expensive musky baits with some being close to $100, but so far I haven't managed to lose any of them yet.

002-4.jpg

Great story Lew.

I have about a dozen crankbait hand made lures that are $25 each and they are awesome !!! Best cranks/ jerkbait a I have ever had !!! But there is some lures in japan made by some if the worlds best makers and they are up to $300 !!!! Everytime a salmon fisherman looses a rig on the big water if you loose your dipsey & flasher and fly or spoon rig it's usually about $40 a pop !!!! When you loose 2 or 3 sometimes in a few days of hardcore action it can get expensive !!! Lol ...

hmmm lets see, teaching myself from scratch how to fish the big lakes has been an interesting experience

got home from a trip on Erie not long after I started and discovered that my Scotty manual down-riggers had a locking mechanism. If you didn't lock it, they were prone to falling off in transit. Decided this was the fishing gods way of telling me I needed electrics - $500.00

watched my hand held GPS float down into the murk of the Long Point PP launch one day as it fell out of my hoodie pocket as I tied up the boat. - I now have an elite 5 with a removable mount. It never goes in my pocket

10 lb downrigger weight, 50 foot of line, spinny and fly combo.... about 70 bucks, give or take. I now check my DR cables for fraying wires every trip out

back to back wire line breaks - dispy, spinny, fly, spo swivels, maybe a 100 between the two? I now check my wire set ups for fraying wires, every trip out

cluster tangle on leadcore, and 50 lb mono - flasher and spoon maybe, 80? I now turn MUCH slower when running lots of lines

or,while changing up one day, took a wave from a passing inconsiderate boater and watched about 15 spoons at an average of 8 - 12 per flutter down to the depths before I could save the box....I am seriously thinking of buying a flare gun :whistling:

don't even mention the occasional rod snap...

I know more than one angler who was lost a moor subtroll probe or x4 fishhawk due to snapped cables... now that hurts

Not last summer but the summer before I lost 3 Megabass baits. 2 Vision 110's and a Pop-X. The Popper is 19.99 the jerk baits are 27.99. I paid 35-45% less than retail, still hurts when tho a Pike shakes it's head after a quick fight boat side and snaps you off :( This past summer I caught 2x as much pike on the bass jerk baits and managed to shake every pike off at the boat. No lost baits this summer :)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher