Most Expensive Lure Lost

LostAnotherOne

Mine wasn't that expensive the one i lost but the way I lost it, Last year Jeremy84 and I where fishing on the Trent between two lake up in the Kawathra's and I tried to do a long cast to get my Live Target Froge up stream a bit further but the wind took it right into a larger pine tree, it made it from the top of the tree right to the bottom.

So common sense would be to get over to it cut the line and re-tie, well i decided to pull to see how bad it was caught, only to pull a bit to hard and sent it back up the tree where it is now caught and I'm willing to bet still there.

Mine wasn't that expensive the one i lost but the way I lost it, Last year Jeremy84 and I where fishing on the Trent between two lake up in the Kawathra's and I tried to do a long cast to get my Live Target Froge up stream a bit further but the wind took it right into a larger pine tree, it made it from the top of the tree right to the bottom.

So common sense would be to get over to it cut the line and re-tie, well i decided to pull to see how bad it was caught, only to pull a bit to hard and sent it back up the tree where it is now caught and I'm willing to bet still there.

Ummm, pretty sure your livetaget frog was just on dave mercers facts of fishing ???

I have to find that clip

I just watched it online, its from this season.

It might not be the same waterway???

But yeah, livetarget frog about 15-20 foot up in a pine tree.

He described it as a nice decoration lol.

On the show hes using the livetarget popper frog(if that makes it easier to find?)

Edited by manitoubass2

On the show hes using the livetarget popper frog(if that makes it easier to find?)

what episode because that sounds like it cold be it lol

Edited by DynamicBear

Never paid an outrageous price for a lure, the ones that hurt losing were the proven fish catchers! Mostly due to using bass lures in waters with pike and skis.

The old original Storm wee warts and wee steelie warts seemed to have like 1 in 6 that would out fish the other 5 consistently, same with their Texas shad lures. Trolling for walleye on Lake Erie with my brother and dad was a good way to find the hot ones to use for bass!

While not a lure I had a buddy in the boat hook one of my rod and reels and sent it down into the depths. $ 450.00 down the drain and the hardest part was convincing him it was just an old rod and reel that I didn't like anyways. Poor guy felt bad for a year but on his fixed income I didn't want him to worry about it.

Art

2 x # 60 Williams Wabblers attached to 2 x Berkley Power Poles fitted with 2x Shimano TX 300 with starfighter drag , seated in 2x Cannon electric down riggers , bolted to a 2x4 bolted across the stern of a 16 Crestliner ..

Came up to a reef while fishing a laker tournament on lake Temagami , we didn't even have time to blink and everything flew into the water , 800+$ loss ...

It wasn't even our stuff , we were sponsored by Trapper Tom's ...

We had a OPP diver friend go down and look for the stuff , he never found it .

You'll have to be more specific. DynamicBear has sacrificed a lot of lures to the pine tree gods.

Oh I have another one but it wasn't my lure but a friend's. My friend and I and no it wasn't Jeremy84, went to the mouth of the credit one summer day , the first cast my friend made he lost his handle for his reel, so we quickly ran out and got a new handle while gettign it he picked up a new Rapala lure, it was about $12.

When we got back to the mouth, wouldn't you know it on his very first cast the lure got snagged and we thought it was gone. about half an hour later while still going at it, I happened to see what i thought was a minnow at first only to realize it was my buddy's lure. It was just out of arm reach but luckily enough we had a net with us.

Sure this isn't a lost lure story, but a close call of one

Oh I have another one but it wasn't my lure but a friend's. My friend and I and no it wasn't Jeremy84, went to the mouth of the credit one summer day , the first cast my friend made he lost his handle for his reel, so we quickly ran out and got a new handle while gettign it he picked up a new Rapala lure, it was about $12.

When we got back to the mouth, wouldn't you know it on his very first cast the lure got snagged and we thought it was gone. about half an hour later while still going at it, I happened to see what i thought was a minnow at first only to realize it was my buddy's lure. It was just out of arm reach but luckily enough we had a net with us.

Sure this isn't a lost lure story, but a close call of one

Hahaha, that reminds me of this firetiger flat rap I use for pike in the rapids. Its a deadly lure and its been lost 4-5 times. But beacause of the eddie I just have wait about an hour and ill find it floating in this kinda pond off the side of the rapids.

Ive even had it bit off once or twice, still caught the fish later and got the lure back hahaha

Hahaha, that reminds me of this firetiger flat rap I use for pike in the rapids. Its a deadly lure and its been lost 4-5 times. But beacause of the eddie I just have wait about an hour and ill find it floating in this kinda pond off the side of the rapids.

Ive even had it bit off once or twice, still caught the fish later and got the lure back hahaha

I'm guessing that is one of your lucky lures

My dad taught me to fish back in the early 50's and as far back as my memory takes me, his #1 go-to bait for just about anything that swam was a wooden pikie minnow.

Didn't matter if it was Quinte eyes, French River pike or Simcoe pickeral, he clipped on that old minnow and boy did he ever catch a ton of fish on it. Back in the day guys didn't have a dozen rods and hundreds of lures like today, you had ONE rod and a couple baits.

When Dad got to a point in his life when he retired from fishing, he made me a gift of that pikie minnow and my memories of it made it one of the best gifts I ever received.

I was afraid to use it in case I lost the darned thing and it sat in my tackle box as a good luck charm for years.

One day my bud and I were heading out to do some trolling and I got brave and decided to give it a try. Darned if I didn't get hung up on something and before I knew it the line snapped and the bait was gone.

I couldn't believe I'd lost it and was wondering how the heck I was even gonna tell Dad I'd lost his #1 bait.

Anyhoo, it was done and nothing I could do about it so I sucked it up and we continued fishing.

Couple hours later we're trolling back and my bud yells out "look, there's your lure" and sure enough it had somehow popped free and was floating on the surface.

Couldn't believe how lucky I was and swore I'd never use it again and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage alongside a bunch of other stuff.

There's no monetary value to it, but the sentimental value makes it priceless to me.

That lure is close to 70 years old and is now permanently retired. :lol:

I've got some very expensive musky baits with some being close to $100, but so far I haven't managed to lose any of them yet.

002-4.jpg

That's a good story Lew. I also have an affinity to the old Pikie Minnows, and have two jointed ones, one perch like yours and a brown colored one. My favorite as a youngster though was a 1 piece pikie, somewhat smaller than the jointed ones, and it was light green. I still have it, it's been disassembled and ready for a paint job for quite awhile. It was an absolute pike killer back in the day. I think I'll paint her and bring her to Memquisit.