Most Expensive Lure Lost

LostAnotherOne

Lew, surprisingly one can purchase these lures at pretty reasonable prices on Ebay. The other one I really like is the old Cisco Kid and I have quite a few of those from Ebay.

Cisco Kids were great trolling lures for up north!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unfished-Vintage-Husky-Cisco-Kid-Musky-Lure-No-1821-in-Box-/191508717687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96cf2077

Lost a 10 inch Hellhound on a snag a couple of years ago. Never caught a thing on it, but i loved that lure none the less. I think they go for $30-40.

My most prized lure is this 9 inch CL8 bait...

cl8-bait-500x.jpg

It only sees about an hour of use per year since i'm terrified to lose it. They used to retail for about 80 USD (plus shipping) a few years back, but I dont think they make them anymore beast on their website.

I didn't lose this one and it's not an expensive lure; but I retired it after the lip broke off. It is now proudly hanging on one of the rafters in the main cabin of Eddie's place on the Attawapiskat river.

2012 Fish 126.jpg

Here's one of the walleye that couldn't resist taking a bite of the lure.

Dan.

2012 Fish 072.jpg

My dad taught me to fish back in the early 50's and as far back as my memory takes me, his #1 go-to bait for just about anything that swam was a wooden pikie minnow.

Didn't matter if it was Quinte eyes, French River pike or Simcoe pickeral, he clipped on that old minnow and boy did he ever catch a ton of fish on it. Back in the day guys didn't have a dozen rods and hundreds of lures like today, you had ONE rod and a couple baits.

When Dad got to a point in his life when he retired from fishing, he made me a gift of that pikie minnow and my memories of it made it one of the best gifts I ever received.

I was afraid to use it in case I lost the darned thing and it sat in my tackle box as a good luck charm for years.

One day my bud and I were heading out to do some trolling and I got brave and decided to give it a try. Darned if I didn't get hung up on something and before I knew it the line snapped and the bait was gone.

I couldn't believe I'd lost it and was wondering how the heck I was even gonna tell Dad I'd lost his #1 bait.

Anyhoo, it was done and nothing I could do about it so I sucked it up and we continued fishing.

Couple hours later we're trolling back and my bud yells out "look, there's your lure" and sure enough it had somehow popped free and was floating on the surface.

Couldn't believe how lucky I was and swore I'd never use it again and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage alongside a bunch of other stuff.

There's no monetary value to it, but the sentimental value makes it priceless to me.

That lure is close to 70 years old and is now permanently retired. :lol:

I've got some very expensive musky baits with some being close to $100, but so far I haven't managed to lose any of them yet.

002-4.jpg

One of my go to baits... Dad bought me one years ago and it had earned a spot in my limited tackle I use for musky...

I have bad luck with lucky crafts for some reason, probably because they're expensive. I've also snagged my share musky baits. Nothing beats battling your 80b braid trying to break those off.

There's bulldawg high in a tree that I'll be taking a second go at again in the spring.

it may not be the most expensive, but the one I will remember until the day I die is a lure called the pflugeur limper. when I was a kid growing up I had heard that this was the best for catching pickerel and I wanted one. so I got a job, saved up and bought one. then my dad took me fishing on the nith striver outside paris. sure enough he spots my prize lure in my little tackle box and wants to try it out. so what could I say, sure go ahead. he ties it on his line, winds up and casts his line. the only problem was his line never made it to the water, he got it snagged high in a tree on the shore and to this day, my lure is still hanging on that branch

About 20 years ago the musky bug hit

Brother bought a cottage in Hali that had a small musky pop.

Finally spent the dough on a real musky lure. Bought a jointed shallow raider from the little bait shop off Hali main street. Was prob $25

On the lake, literally first cast I snapped my bail close to early, 30 yards from intended target. Sure enough a ski hits it before I can crank the handle. Fight it to the boat where buddy and I realize net is on the dock. He tries to grab it, pins line against boat and snap. Muskie swims away with my almost brand new lure

It's funny. Long time ago but remember the lure, purchase and experience vividly. Still a good fishing story between my buddy and I. More about the loss of my new lure than the fish lol

Gordy