High end reels

Freshtrax

I all honesty....

I find it's a "feel" thing

I like reels that feel nice in my hand and function nice....

Same with rods... I've used some $100 dollar rods that work well and I can feel 90+% of what my $400 legend extreme can feel...

Most of my gear is middle class stuff ($50-$150)... I only splurged on the rod/reel I use most days out... $600+ combo

I'm a Shimano fan but definitely not an up to date, techy, gear head

IMO, for a baitcaster, it's a $200 minimum or don't bother, Curado at least

for spinning, I think it's just reliability and the drag, and I'm not sure my Stradics are worth the price tag, the $50 range would likely be fine

Shimano makes quite a range of reels. The more you spend, the more abuse your gear can take. I've wrecked Saharas using braid. My stradics have held up to abuse for several seasons. If you're using mono or light braid with loose drag you can probably get away with cheaper gear. Not saying a cheaper reel won't do the trick. I believe the higher end gear is made to last. Smooth on day 1 still smooth on day 1000

Nothing wrong with Saharas. Really it's what you can afford that gets the job done without having to constantly replace cheap inferior equipment. There is a balance point for that, and a Sahara is probably it. Perhaps the symetre, if you need to pick a spot in the product line. When I was young I bought cheap, noticed that things broke, and I had to replace them often. I got smart , bought the best I could afford, which was middle road stuff that performed well without constantly breaking. When I got a bit older, I found suddenly I could afford a bit more of the high end stuff, so I bought some, and I probably didn't need to, but I wanted to so why not. Anyway, the message is buy the best you can afford, and if it works for you stick with it. If you eventually want the high end stuff, and you get to the point where it's no longer a budget killer to have a few nice toys, then fill your boots! You probably don't need it, but you only live once!

I guess if is a feel thing i am doing ok. My spinning reels only get used for pike walleye, perch and bass. I doubt i will regret my love of Sahara's unless i hook a trophy pike. I totally get the buy the best attitude but i just bought my first house this summer and am saving for a great lakes boat. I would rather have 3 Saharas's in the boat and not have to tie lures than one one Stradic in the hand I guess.:)

90% of my fishing is for perch, gills or crappie so really a stick and a string would probably suffice. However when I started out I had some more expensive...not top of the line... gear because I fish other species as well. All my expensive gear has crapped out except for my old reliable 1300 whisker diawa reel that is bulletproof.

I have had good luck with all my Diawa reels so I have a bunch of medium/low end models now that do the trick for me. I just can't justify to myself spending more for the type of fishing I do.

Always liked the Calcutta CT baitcast series for muskies until I I started using the TE series and there's no comparison. I still have rods rigged with CT but 90 % of my casting is TE.

All a personal choice though.

Freshtrax,

I've used a Pflueger president and the. Switched to a Stradic CI4 and then promptly bought a second one because I was that impressed. The difference between the two was night and day.

As stated above, everything is built with better components which translates to more refinement. Also, until you hit the Stella, the reels are typically lighter.

The stradic is worth the money IMO but I find there is still a cut off. I don't know if I would spend more for a Sustain because I don't find there is a big enough difference.

The same couldbe said on the baitcast line as well. I have shimano baitcasters from $200 - $500 and there are noticeable differences. The Curado is a workhorse and does an excellent job (I have an e and an i) but if you step up to the ci4+ Chronarch, you will notice some refinement with better bearing and drag being used. The core is in a league of it's own and feels so smooth considering it has less bearings than the other reels mentioned. My Metanium on the other hand is not worth the extra money to me. It's level of refinement over the ci4+ chronarch is not enough to justify the added cost because of the way I use it. I have heard that the met really shines with 1/4oz baits which isn't what I bought it for. If I used it for that, I would probably have a different feeling towards it.

The more you spend, the newer the technology is as well. X-ship was only offered in the high end reels for the first year and trickled down a few years later.

Needless to say, I beleive there are a few advantages to buying higher end gear but in the end, it comes down to personal preference and comfort level for what you are willing to spend.

Adam

I totally get the buy the best attitude but i just bought my first house this summer and am saving for a great lakes boat. I would rather have 3 Saharas's in the boat and not have to tie lures than one one Stradic in the hand I guess.:)

It's all about the budget man, going broke over fishing gear is definitely not worth it! Your making the right choice!

Edited by porkpie

If you feel the need to spend for high end and think it will enhance your chances for that one great fish, go for it.

Myself, I use the $35-$100 dollar reels and all but one, has let me down. I have never lost a fish cause the reel exploded.

I buy the more expensive ones used. Only from people I know that take care of them and I get them at 1/2 price of new.

Before this goes crazy. Higher priced reels won't help you catch fish but they do provide me with an enjoyability that I just don't find in cheaper gear. Higher prices rods in the other hand, may help you detect the more subtle bites.

If your budget doesn't allow for you to buy three stradics and you really want three combo's, go cheaper and get the functionality you are looking for.

I myself, usually buy one combo a year. I started out with one good one and built up from there. I have sold off a few that didn't provide me with what I was working for and bought better stuff over the years and it has worked out well for me.

Currently, I am running all shimano reels and mostly Dobyns rods and don't plan on getting rid of any. In fact, I sold off a lew's, pflueger and abu last year to buy more shimano reels. There was nothing wrong with them, I just preferred the Shimano products.

Do I catch 10x more fish, when I pay 10x more for gear? Of course not, but the sport is called fishing, and not catching. A lot of the time I spend on the water, I'm actually casting, and fishing through areas. I find nicer (higher priced) gear puts a smile on my face through the whole time on the water. I like being able to feel ever little rock and weed. There is a performance boost, but is it worth spending that much? That I can't answer, it's a personal choice. I have caught fish on the cheap Canadian Tire combos my dad bought me as a kid and on my more expensive bass gear later on in life. I promise you, the fish aren't jumping into your boat going, it feels so good to be caught on x,y or z. The gear that makes you happy, is the gear you should be using.

I've used some cheaper models and liked them better than some more expensive. I thinks it's all preference.

My only peeve is the instant anti reverse in the cold weather (icefishin) quits working.

I don't think the fish knows with a hook in his Lip :rolleyes:

Fish Farmer. The reason your anti reverse quits in the cold may be because the oil or grease is too thick or there is too much in the bearing. Clean the anti reverse bearing. All it is is some roller bearings in a plastic or metal race that drop into a position that basically jams the handle to keep it from turning. If the lube is too thick when it is cold, it will prevent this from happening. You don't even need to lubricate this bearing if you don't want to. Not hard to get to and clean. Hope this helps.

It all depends on a number of factors

How often you fish

What you are casting

How big the fish are and do they make long hard runs

More expensive reels are built with higher quality components - which are often replaceable/repairable when needed

Better balance, ergonomics, nicer handles etc.

Better materials used in the gears, gears supported by bearings - makes reeling in hard pulling lures easier - you don't get tired as fast and won't wear out the gears as fast

Better materials used in drag system - smoother, higher drag force and last longer

Muskie fishing is ridiculously hard on gear, even $500 reels need tune ups every few years.

For many other species which are less demanding on gear, I'm sure reels like the Sahara are fine - bottom line is that if it does what you need it to and you are happy with the way it performs - golden