food that tastes better then it should (food experiments) NF

manitoubass2

At a hotel I worked at one of the chefs told me that liver should be treated the same as a steak with a bit of pink in the center not burnt to the bejeezes like my mother used to cook it until it was like shoe leather...

After trying they way the chef cooked it I became a fan of liver...

I was tricked into eating beef tongue. I was told it was veal scaloppini. It didn't taste like veal but I had seconds. Then I found out what it was and haven't had it again. Then again I had snake once on a business trip and thought it was a long skinny fish. I was warned but my Japanese isn't very good and the Sake was warm and plentiful. It was very good but I'm not going out and catching any and cooking them up any time soon. The brain is a complex organ.

My mother cooked liver like Beans' Mom, until you could resole a shoe. I ate it with copious amounts of onions and Ketchup or didn't eat that night. I've had it a few times afterwards and I still do not like it. It's beyond don't like it actually but for those that do, like my wife, enjoy. I think she orders it because she knows I won't pick at her plate.

Oh ya...bacon fat rendered off, onions sweated in the fat, liver dredged in flour, remove onion and bacon, add 2tp of oil and crank the heat till she smokes, sear both sides of the liver until pink, remove from pan drain 50% of the oil add one 1/4 cup red wine, deglaze the pan, add1/2 cup beef jus and bring to a boil, re add the liver, onions and bacon, cook for 2 mins on simmer...sauce should thicken from the flour on the liver and all should be tender and yummmmmy!

One of my homestyle fav's :)

its good, but I'm always creeped out by the idea of eating something that might taste me back :lol:

My laugh for the day, now that's funny Cookslav, thanks I needed that. You recipe sounds fantastic, just need to replace the liver with some other meat, is liver meat? Nope. I won't eat urine filtering kidneys either.

liver and chicken hearts mmmmmm

On a trip to Brighton a while back to visit an old friend he served up a batch simmered in onions with a handful of capers thrown in for good measure. With some crusty Sicilian bread to dip with and wine it was one of the most satisfying comfort meals I've ever had.

On a trip to Brighton a while back to visit an old friend he served up a batch simmered in onions with a handful of capers thrown in for good measure. With some crusty Sicilian bread to dip with and wine it was one of the most satisfying comfort meals I've ever had.

No one in Brighton eats organs..... And those that do must be from Trenton lol

G

Sounds like the old joke about guys in a resytaurant. One guy orders tongue, the other guy says he wouldn't eat anything an animal used to eat. When the waiter came he ordered eggs!!

OK hear we go again, I don't get it, again. And again, and, and. I'll have to ask my wife, she explains many things to me, many things.

yep. thats a right proper feeding right there!

we did gingerbread houses tonight with the kiddos and before I knew it, it was too late to make a decent meal.

so we had "rez style" green eggs and ham hahaha. (hope that doesnt offend anyone). fried bologna, eggs and prepaired hash browns lol

20141216_203707_zpsu8bjc6sl.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

yep. thats a right proper feeding right there!

we did gingerbread houses tonight with the kiddos and before I knew it, it was too late to make a decent meal.

so we had "rez style" green eggs and ham hahaha. (hope that doesnt offend anyone). fried bologna, eggs and prepaired hash browns lol20141216_203707_zpsu8bjc6sl.jpg

I hope you read them the story first.

kabobs. of course these are delicious, with pineapple

IMG_518036416951590_zps3bnixbma.jpeg

zuchinni stuffed with beef sausage and tomatoe sauce. this was deadly good! baked for an hour or so and topped with some cheap cheese haha

IMG_517495562227787_zpspsnanu8d.jpeg

one our favs. hand made pizza from scratch.

IMG_517725352638636_zpsfo6jcenm.jpeg

I made this last week and it was deadly. two belgian waffles, beer battered crappie, a hash pattie egg and abit of maple syrup made into a sandwich hahaha

IMG_517310740429316_zpspu9zmdvp.jpeg

Love liver & onions, try slicing in strips instead of beef. Liver Stroganoff, you'll love it.

Used to have Corned tongue as a kid at home,don't seen it in stores anymore.

Fried bologne bet there's liver in it and what ever. :whistling:

Nothin like good old fried Mapleleaf waxed bologne :clapping:

Edited by Fish Farmer