food that tastes better then it should (food experiments) NF

manitoubass2

I love pickled herring! Feature foods spiced matjes herring is a must try for any pickled herring lover :thumbsup_anim:

When I was younger and had more than 2 beers a night we would hit a greasy spoon after closing. I went to celebrate my good friends 40th in Halifax. After a night of merriment they break out the PICKLED HERRING. Solaman Grundy or some God awefull thing. The worst hangage I ever had. I can't even walk down the canned fish aisle to this day.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You have no idea what good pickled herring is. The really good stuff you used to get right out of the barrel just like good dill pickles. Used to be a good Finnish shop on Queen st called Huites.

These days, when you get a chance, go to IKEA's deli, there is a good variety of 5-6 flavours of herring.

IF you are ever in Minnesota or Michigan, Look for a brand called Gafelbiters. The Norwegian herring was a family favourite, but no one sells it here in Ontario now.

Bruce

Try this place.

I stop in there when I make my milk run. It,s a piece of food heaven.

http://www.starskycanada.com/

The rice.... Soooo good done in the oven with an awesome amount of heat...

image-6.jpg

And the plate.... Her pilaf, with the kabob, sliced cucumber, tomatoe and feta. With a fresh yogurt dip...

Nirvana on a plate

Having a issue with the

second pic photobucket does not want to play nice... Weird. Needless to say it was awesome.

image-5.jpg

Edited by Gerritt

Love Cabbage Rolls, hate the work.

I've done the "Lazy Man" thing and liked them but they're still work.

A friend just recently shared a recipe for "Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls" done on the stove in a pot rather than in the oven.

Easy peasy I thought, I now have a pot with approximately 15lbs of said recipe (with some personal touches) on the stove simmering to reduce the liquid content.

Fresh Calabrese bread and butter are waiting for the first serving.

One or two more days of eating and the rest will be portioned and frozen for future convenience. ;)

r8pNoWy.jpg

I've done the "Lazy Man" thing and liked them but they're still work.

A friend just recently shared a recipe for "Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls" done on the stove in a pot rather than in the oven.

Easy peasy I thought, I now have a pot with approximately 15lbs of said recipe (with some personal touches) on the stove simmering to reduce the liquid content.

Fresh Calabrese bread and butter are waiting for the first serving.

One or two more days of eating and the rest will be portioned and frozen for future convenience.

r8pNoWy.jpg

started cheating a couple of years back. The cabbage rolls became a casserole in the crock pot, done in layers like a lasagna. The only thing missing is the work to get the cabbage rolled right

Edited by bigugli

How much work? Steam a head of cabbage,remove layers,throw a gob of seasoned meat with rice mixed in it and roll. Not to mention stuffing a few red peppers at the same time. LOL

The mrs,s makes the lazy . I hate it. Might as well make a meat loaf and place cabbage leaves over it.LOL

Does look good though I have to admit. Im a sucker for hearty good soup and fresh bread and butter.

Edited by Brian B